Punjabi

Guest _m singh_

Guest _m singh_

Sadh Sangat Ji,

I’m 21 year old Sikh from UK and I was hoping someone from the cyber sangat could help me with my Punjabi. I have used some websites to learn to the Punjabi alphabet but still find it difficult to understand how words are formed with there proper sounds etc. So if someone could leave there msn address and when they have time I could ask them about Gurmukhi etc over msn. I used to be able to speak Punjabi when I was younger but since we moved away 10 years ago I stopped talking Punjabi since I never used to see my parents much and went to an all white school etc and lost touch of my Punjabi. If someone could answer the following would be great as well http://www.punjabilearning.com/Lesson9.htm. Also any other suggestions on learning Punjabi are welcome.

P.s My hope and prayer is that I could read path in Gurmukhi one day 

Thank you

My opinion is:

• ~ you should join a Panjabi class, instead of trying to learn off the internet. This is becuase first of all you'll be given more of 1 to 1 teaching by the teacher, and you'll be in a environment where Panjabi is used constant.
    ~ Hold random conversations with you Baba / Bibi / Nana / Nani - they'v always got something to say lol - oh and try and watch Panjabi discussion shows - you know the type where they talk about the latest problems - learn a lot from them too.
    ~ As for learning the Panjabi as a whole - we was taught by being put straight into basic books, instead of making the students drag through learning the alphabet - i'd recommend you get books by J. S. Nagar - they look like this :
    187038301X.02._AA240_SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg
    They help big time becuase they got the pronouciation like how we speak in general. They can be bought from DTF publishers in b'ham, you can usually buy them form your Gurdwara's library!!! Nagar lives on Ansty road in Binley dont remember his house number though... grin.gif

(His address is in his books) - He could help you as well.

• ~ As for learning to do Paat - i think thats just stereotypical - i know some people that dont know how to read Panjabi BUT can do Paat from the Gotka - you can learn to do Paat by having following the words as the tape is being played - you pick up automatically.
    Recommended SS Sangat is: 'Jassa' Bhaji, 'B4ND4R' Bhaji, 'Pakandi Baba' Bhaji and 'Sunny love Kirtan' Bhaji - cnt think who else at min...sorry if i missed any specific ppl out!!!!! :TH:

As for that link you gave, it is good - but is confusing man - the first lesson asks you the MEANING of the letters - the meaning of 'nunna'?? :) @

You talk about how words are formed with there proper sounds - I think am right in saying that words are based on 12 Vowels:

'KANNAA' When added to a letter, it gives the sound of 'aa'

'SIHAAREE' it gives the sound as 'i' in 'sit'.

'BIHAAREE' it gives the sound as 'ea' in 'seal'

'AUNKARH' it gives the sound as 'u' in 'put'.

'DULAINKARH' it gives the sound as 'oo' in 'shoot'

'LAAVAAN' it gives the sound as 'a' in 'pale'

'DULAAVAAN' it gives the sound as 'a' in 'sad'

'BINDEE' 'nn' nasal sound

'TIPPEE' its gives the sound 'n'

'ADHDHAK' (putting stress on the letter) used for doubling the sound of the letter

'HORHAA' it gives the sound as 'o' in 'pot' or 'ou' in 'bought'

'KANAURHAA' (is has like a stressed Horhaa sound)

They join up the letters by using the sounds - making them words!

Guest Guest

Thanks for your reply tweety ji lol. The problem is there are no punjabi classes where I live. I will try and get hold of that book though and self teach. Hmmm wish me luck i need it ;(

Thanks for your reply tweety ji lol. The problem is there are no punjabi classes where I live. I will try and get hold of that book though and self teach. Hmmm wish me luck i need it ;(

pssh dnt need luck man jus dedication!!!!!! where u from? - not askin cos am sum stalker lol - askin 2 kno why u aint got Panjabi classes at ur end!

also bug the reccommened SS sangat ive named up above!!! they'll help - ther gud ppl!!!!!

VJKK VJKF

Thanks KarKirpaWaheguru great post.... very detailed! :TH:

:umm:

nah Bhaji - that vowels bit - every1' knows em anyway hunna BUT i jus copied n pasted here from anova site (too lazy to type em out)!!!!! so cnt take creditt tongue.gif

VJKK VJKF

Thanks KarKirpaWaheguru great post.... very detailed! :TH:

:umm:

nah Bhaji - that vowels bit - every1' knows em anyway hunna BUT i jus copied n pasted here from anova site (too lazy to type em out)!!!!! so cnt take creditt tongue.gif

i wish i did know that :T: i go to a Punjabi school but don't pay much attention i'm a bit of a rebel there blush.gif

Recommended SS Sangat is: 'Jassa' Bhaji, 'B4ND4R' Bhaji, 'Pakandi Baba' Bhaji and 'Sunny love Kirtan' Bhaji - cnt think who else at min...sorry if i missed any specific ppl out!!!!! :TH:

B4ND4R BHAJI LOL.gifLOL.gifLOL.gif :umm: :cool: :)

hahahahahahahahahhahaha

cant stp laughing

tenu v ehi naam labea c id lai

blush.gif sharam ta ni aaundi, kidan dand kaddi janda. chundi vadd ke seend kadd du tera tongue.gif