Was Bhindranwale A Terrorist Or A Hero?

Ginny

wow thank you so much everyone, this is more than i excepted!! lol. sure i can use those photos as sources. so from parts i just read ( i too will print out at college and read fully) i guess there was probably some censorship of what Bhindranwale what really like yeh? and the government prehaps made him out to be a terrorist? i have the book the gallant defender, but unfortunalty because it was written by Sikhs, the source would be consideed bias, and as part of my c/w task, i have to look at both sides of the argument. ... oh, also could anyone maybe give me a summary of yhe atmoshpere in India, Panjab during the time leading up to Operation Bluestar...i mean the hostility towards sikhs? and why this hostility occurred? thank you so much brothers and sisters, this helps me sooooo much thumbs_up.gif

wow thank you so much everyone, this is more than i excepted!! lol. sure i can use those photos as sources. so from parts i just read ( i too will print out at college and read fully) i guess there was probably some censorship of what Bhindranwale what really like yeh? and the government prehaps made him out to be a terrorist? i have the book the gallant defender, but unfortunalty because it was written by Sikhs, the source would be consideed bias, and as part of my c/w task, i have to look at both sides of the argument. ... oh, also could anyone maybe give me a summary of yhe atmoshpere in India, Panjab during the time leading up to Operation Bluestar...i mean the hostility towards sikhs? and why this hostility occurred? thank you so much brothers and sisters, this helps me sooooo much  thumbs_up.gif

86468[/snapback]

Ummm Ginny :cool: , the book the gallant defender was not written by a sikh as far as i know....i though AR Darshi was a hindu :umm:

Waheguru Ji Ka Khalsa

Waheguru Ji Ki Fateh

Khalsa Jee,

Some information that may help...

Here is an article which was published in the Sikh Review -

That Bhindranwale defiled the Golden Temple by its occupation is a common refrain heard from almost all quarters. Naipaul himself says so  repeatedly: "Hindus and Sikhs grieved for the violation of the holy place" (Page 424); "during the siege (1988) the central temple had been defiled, used as a latrine" (Page 447); "the Sikh political party never condemned the desecration of the Temple" and "Guns in the Temple were seen for the first time in 1982, and it's a perversion of the religion" (Pages 478-9, in the words of Dalip). Is this a fair rap?

The answer lies in the geography of the Golden Temple complex. The two main features of the complex are: Harminder Sahib, the spiritual temple, built by the fifth Guru Arjun Dev; and, the Akal Takht, the temporal throne, built by sixth Guru Hargobind. Khushwant Singh describes Akal Takht as a place "where, instead of chanting hymns of peace, the congregation heard ballads extolling feats of heroism, and, instead of listening to religious discourses, discussed plans of military conquests" (History of Sikhs, Page 63).

Akal Takht was raised as seat of power and situated at a discreet distance form the holy Temple. It was the place where Guru Hargobind held his durbar; "received those who came with their aspirations, hopes, fears and feuds" (Patwant Singh in "The Sikhs", page 40); and, met envoys, received gifts of horses and arms. According to Khushwant Singh the Guru "adopted the life of a soldier (and) was always accompanied by armed retainers".

Harminder Sahib, the holy Temple, and Akal Takht, the seat of authority, are two domains, distinct and separate: the first constitutes spiritual domain, the second the secular kingdom. This important distinction did not escape Bhindranwale and his followers. That explains the reason why they ensconced their presence in Akal Takht. If Bhindranwale emulated anyone it was Guru Hargobind for like the Guru he and his retinue, all armed, enjoyed free run of the place but stayed away from the holy Temple itself.

Bhindranwale was religious savvy; he observed every protocol of his faith. For example, he avoided going to langar (community kitchen) or having food fetched from there. Instead he and his men put in place logistics of bringing the food "over the Temple wall by the people, over the roofs of the adjoining houses" (Page 488). It also follows that if and when they went to the holy Temple they did so unarmed, just like any other devotee. Bhindranwale meticulously observed the distinction between the sacred and the temporal.

Outsiders did not discern such compartmentalizing nor were they made aware of such a distinction. People generally viewed the entire Golden temple complex as the spiritual domain. Sikhs, too, failed to see the dividing line or didn't care to set the record straight. They were probably too distraught over what they saw as the uninvited intrusion of Bhindranwale and his retinue into the Golden Temple complex. The Sikh leadership, Akali and SGPC alike, despite exercising complete control over the Golden temple complex simply rolled over and played possum. They were probably afraid of Bhindranwale or hoped that given enough rope he may hang himself. Whichever way one looks, it was cowardly of them people who aspire to leadership roles.

For more information please read the eBook -

Sant Jarnail Singh Bhindranwale - Life, Mission, and Martyrdom

Waheguru Ji Ka Khalsa

Waheguru Ji Ki Fateh

To aid the academic work, maybe the following questions should be studied closer:

1. Jarnail Singhs background and lineage

2. The movements he joined (their history)

3. The climate of politics around the 70s and 80s

4. The 'Green' revolution and where it was going

5. The military point of view (were the tactics correct?)

6. The aftermath, how is it related to Jarnail Singh himself? Responses by his followers etc.

I'd advise you to stay as emotionally detached as possible when writing this work. Only by being truely objectional can history recounted properly.

Waheguru Ji Ka Khalsa Waheguru Ji Ke Fateh

sorry i have not read all the posts

the long one by APKF looks very good

Sant Ji was a hero and one way to defame someone with such a reputation is to label them a terrorist and punish anyone associated with them

after 1984 just when the ill treatment of Sikhs in India was shown all around the world the Indian goverment did it again with the air india bombing and so everyone correlates sikhs with extremists and terrorists

i've read from a number of different sources how when every little thing happened in india they blamed Bhindranwale for it

i believe some central intelligent agents admit that he was not responsible for the the things he was accused of

Sant Ji, himself spoke about this, he said something like when someone's dog dies they blame Bhindranwale for it

anyway here are some quotations in bhindranwala's own words (well translated into english)

'One who takes Amrit and helps others take it; who reads the Gurbani and teaches others to do the same; who gives up intoxicants and helps others to do likewise; who urges all to get together and work in cooperation; who preaches Hindu-Sikh unity and asks for peaceful coexistence; who says: "If you are a Muslim be a devout Muslim, if you are a Sikh be a devout Sikh, respect your Isht, unite under the saffron Nish aan Sahib stoutly support the Panth, and be attached to Satguru's Throne and Guru's Darbar"; persons who preach like this are now all being called extremists by this Government and by the Mahasha press. In particular, I have been given a big title. They call me the "leader of the extremists". I am a firm extremist, but of the type which has the characteristics I have described to you.'
"I exhort the Sikhs to become Amritdhari; I advise them to give up all kinds of intoxicants and narcotics; I tell them not to harm  any innocent person; I teell them to follow the path shown by Guru Gobindn Singh and take revenge from the sinners.  In short I exhort them to become true Sikhs.  And similaly I advise every Hindu to become a true Hindu and a Muslim a true Muslim. If in spite of all this I am branded an extremist then I am proud to be called an etremist."

on the topic of pictures, you have to see the short video clip titled SANT - Sikhs Are Not Terrorists made by Akaal Productions. It's about 5mb in size and plays for 4:18. It shows loads of pictures of Sant Ji while the changes music is playing along with one of Bhindranwale's speeches.

Waheguru Ji Ka Khalsa Waheguru Ji Ke Fateh

wow thank you so much everyone, this is more than i excepted!! lol. sure i can use those photos as sources. so from parts i just read ( i too will print out at college and read fully) i guess there was probably some censorship of what Bhindranwale what really like yeh? and the government prehaps made him out to be a terrorist? i have the book the gallant defender, but unfortunalty because it was written by Sikhs, the source would be consideed bias, and as part of my c/w task, i have to look at both sides of the argument. ... oh, also could anyone maybe give me a summary of yhe atmoshpere in India, Panjab during the time leading up to Operation Bluestar...i mean the hostility towards sikhs? and why this hostility occurred? thank you so much brothers and sisters, this helps me sooooo much  thumbs_up.gif

86468[/snapback]

WJKK

WJKF

Noo! The Gallant Defender is written by a Punjabi Hindu!! He is not a Sikh!

WJKK

WJKF

ooooooohhhh!!!!!!! right ok!! i guess i just assumed! oh thts gud cheers for tht info ppl, tht is vital to the argument, because prehaps leans more to him being hero, bevcause Hindus were hostile to Sikhs during that time right? wow cheers guys haha how silly i am!lol, oh and dont worry, im not emotionally attached, i just think that in school, history is always based on European hisotry, and i think Sikhs have a very interesting history that could be explored u know. thank u soooooooo much ohmy.gif :

i just downloaded a file 1984 News.wmv which has 80 minutes of footage from 1984

i allready knew how badly the media potrays sikhs and Bhindranwale also spoke of this but watching this video and listening to the same types of words over again makes you wonder what non-sikhs thought during that time

I think discussing the media's affect on the image of Bhindranwale would make a very important piece of your paper

it's like i said before, how do you discredit someone who only wanted Sikhs to become better Sikhs and to be treated fairly and who's forced to attack (verbally) the justice system of india because of their policies

• The topic was locked