What do you think?

akjforever

Guest learner singh
above points well taken...!! ideally thats how keertan should be done.. raags mentioned in SGGS.

me being such a liberal thinks:

- classical music has lost its appeal to this generation (my gen.)

- too much "aaah aaah" in keertan diverts my attention

- anything to sing and listen to Guru;s bani

but .. i know of a raaagi.. who Has used hindi film music while doing keertan........

personally i dont really care.. cuz it doesnt remind me of hindi songs ( i dont listen to them )

but one of my friend's was really bothered by it.. cuz everytime he would listen to that shabad it would remind him of that hindi song

We need to learn Gurmat sangeet which is so soothing.

Listen to Sant Naranjan Singh Ji (Jwaddi Kalan Wale) and let me know if you feel any distraction and he sings in Ragas.

Here is the link for you to download his Shabads...

http://www.sikhnation.com/kirtan/sns.html

Please, share your experience with us.

from my understanding.. bhai niranjan singh jee is from an akj background.. hence his love of damalla.. i think akj uk used to have some of his tracks.. so amazing..

i have heard he is tired of people calling him sant and has stopped wearing damalla and started wearing pugh so that people just call him "bhai" or even "raagi"..

he has so much sharda and nimarta.. anyone else confirm this?

waheguru ji ka khalsa

waheguru ji ki fateh

i don't think keertan wid *Alaaps* (aaaah) is done at Darbar Sahib (Amritsar)....

yea and i do like it.. but sometimes when they exaggerate too much.. it seems they are showing off.. and have no idea what shabad they are doing...

and ji.. i do like akj keertan.. it's energetic and soothing... ^_^.. i respect all keertan... but it makes more sence if you do it in the raag stated by the guru's.. (it says on the top of the shabad... "raag...) whenever we have competitions or keertan darbars.. we tend to do it in the raag stated by guru ji.. ^_^ i like that...

bhul chuk di khima...

waheguru ji ka khalsa

waheguru ji ki fateh

Guest learner singh
from my understanding.. bhai niranjan singh jee is from an akj background.. hence his love of damalla.. i think akj uk used to have some of his tracks.. so amazing..

i have heard he is tired of people calling him sant and has stopped wearing damalla and started wearing pugh so that people just call him "bhai" or even "raagi"..

he has so much sharda and nimarta.. anyone else confirm this?

It would have been great if you had said that he was from sikhism and belong to sikhs. As far as it goes to sant word then please contact "Sikhnation.com" and ask them to remove it first and then we will consider him not calling "Sant" and if he sings in ragas then he is following Guru's command by himself and he should be given credit for it not AKJ.

This thread shouldn't be turned into Anti-Akj thread but we need to keep our mind broad and think about it. Just ask yourself few questions

Should we follow our heart which is manmat or Guru's word which is Gurmat?

Should we go by our taste or Guru's words?

That's all... :nihungsmile:

Waheguroo Jee Ka Khalsa!

Waheguroo Jee Kee Fateh!!

Yes mkhalsa is right Bhai Naranjan singh is from an akj background, just because he is tired of people calling him a sant he has stopped wearing a dummala. He personally told this. He has so much of nimarta that he was the only one who went to pesh towards the akaal takht for doing kirtan in gurd where pangat system (sitting on the floor to eat) wasnt practised. And he stopped going to all those gurdwara to do kirtan. Only now that akaal takht took back its decision and only now he started back doing kirtan in those gurdwara's too.

You all should listen to his kirtan. Its superb. He has so much of nimarta and sharda.

Waheguroo Jee Ka Khalsa!

Guest balwinderkaur

oooooohhh yes jkaur bhainjee,bhai niranjan singh jee does keertan with soooooo much nimarta and shardha pyaar. when he was here for Singapore's Naamras Keertan Darbaar 2002, he simply wowed the sangat and the keertan done was UNFORGETTABLE. :umm: umm as far as doing keertan in alaaps, i personally do not like it cuz i feel it's distorting bani..guruji didnt write sa re ga ma pa dha ni sa and aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaahhhh in bani so i don't think keertan should be done that way. i think some raagee keertanees use it cuz they've been influenced by the classical indian-hindu style of music. also as far as akj keertanees NOT doing keertan in raag, i think that's a mistaken perception. i have heard akj keertanees like dullaji and parbakarji and bhai jeevan singh jee and bhai harpreet singh jee toronto use raag whilst doing keertan. so whoever said akj keertanees don't use raag needs to go back and ensure his research was properly and fairly conducted . tongue.gif

Waheguroo Jee Ka Khalsa!

Veerji Mkhalsa, i meant they took back their decisions on disallowing Bhai Sahib from doing kirtan in gurdwara's that doesnt practise pangat. I did not mean that they do not support the idea of pangat.

Waheguroo Jee Ka Khalsa!