Should Birthdays be Celebrated

Jessica wrote

one of the teachers at khalsa school said people shouldnt celebrate bdays cause its like celebrating that ur closer to death. i dont really believe that though. u can choose to look at it that way but u dont have to. i dont do anything as big as i used to for my bday anymore though. but everyone deserves a special day

I thought talking abouta debatble issue needed a new topic so i didn't reply in Gursimar's Bday post.

I think that that view on Birthdays getting u closer to death is worng. Guru ji say that no one knows when death is gonna strike. Death doesn't see Rich, poor, child, teenageer, man , woman.

So the only thing we can do is do namm simran, becuase we don't know when death is going to strike. So in my opinion there is no harm in celebrating Birthday while staying within ur limits, ie no sharab , kabab etc

In a logic way it's true that every b'day is getting u closer to death tongue.gif .. But that's thinking goes kinda -ve , depressing style.. There is no fear in sikhi..

celebrate the b'day till one reach the age of 18th.... i don't do fancy stuff on my b'day, just a lil snack.. So i guess it's for children cauz they all are excited and stuff grin.gif but still it won't hurt if adults or budday do celebrate it.. we should Thanks guru sahib on that day for giving us human janam and soo on.. At least ppls remember and thanks waheguru sahib on this day B)

heres my view..

i think its ok for children to celebrate birthdays and stuff.. i mean why not?! it helps encourage the child, gives them self esteem

BUT

we as adult sikhs have no reason to celebrate birthdays unless we are some kind of mahapurakh.. think about it.. its a reminder you will die sooner... why celebrate it if u have no gyaan or no bhagti? i know im scared!! i have done no good deeds.. if i know im one year closer to death, its more a day to mourn..

but people like bhai jeevan singh jee.. baba thakur singh.. these gursikhs they probably celebrate their birthdays with so much joy.. they are only closer to going to sachkhand..

Waheguroo Jee Ka Khalsa!

Waheguroo Jee Kee Fateh!!

well if we take things negatively yeah birthdays remind us that we are nearing to our death.. but how about taking things the positive way.. why dont we thanks guruji for givin us this human form so that we can do as much as naam simran, bhagti, sewa so that we can get mukti... so we can celebrate birthdays for this reason ... thanking guruji for giving us this form to redeem our picheley janam's mistake... so to all of ya out there,, u dont get human form all the time.. so make full use of it :umm: ...

Waheguroo Jee Ka Khalsa!

Waheguroo Jee Kee Fateh!!

I guess,We shud all time be ready to leave this world and i guess there is not any manmat to celebrate the B'day.....But we shud pray to the guru saab jee that please dont let us mingle or tangle with this maya roopi dunia........and u shud always remember the bani's tuk ..........."Ghallee aavay,Nanaka, Sadhhay utthee jaa-ay.......

I may be wrong je but this is wat is feel like..

Fateh

Stay in chardee kalan wubb.gif

Arash