WEARING A KALGI ON THE PAGH?? Manmat or Gurmat

sher_panjabi

WEARING THE KALGI (PLUME) ON WEDDINGS

by Daas

Wearing a Kalgi (a plume) on one’s turban signifies that the person is a royal person, a king and a person with great responsibility and respect.

Unfortunately in recent years people have been following the practice of putting a Kalgi on the groom’s turban on the wedding day, which is ceremoniously removed in the Diwaan Hall in the Gurdwara Sahib by the groom’s sisters.

Is wearing a Kalgi in accordance to Gurmat, the Guru’s way?

Could you wear a Kalgi on your turban and walk inside the Golden Temple and not be stopped by fellow Sikhs or sewadaars?

Is wearing a Kalgi in the house of Guru Gobind Singh Ji, our

King who we call ‘Kalgiaa(n)vala’ (the one who wear’s the plume) not a great act of disrespect?

If the groom is a king like Guru Gobind Singh ji, then by all means wear a Kalgi on the turban.

If the groom can carry us across to Waheguru like Guru Gobind Singh Ji, then by all means wear a Kalgi on the turban.

If the groom can do the same things which Guru Gobind Singh Ji done, which makes him worthy of being called ‘the one with Kalgi’ then by all means wear a Kalgi on the turban.

We must address this issue and educate ourselves.

We must understand that people and not the Gurus start these practices.

We must take action to stop any form of disrespect to the Guru Granth Sahib Ji, the living speaking soul of the Ten Gurus.

Be inspired and inspire others.

May Vaheguru bless you.

manvir.khalsa@gmail.com

Thank you for this post- this is something which has long bothered me. Additioanlly, there is also the fact that people are increasingly choosing to don red dastaars at weddings, any other colour is considered unusual. This custom of red dastaar is a hindu custom which originated at the time of the Mogul's, who forbid non-muslims to wear any colour turban but red, and even then only for special ceremonies (ie weddings). This is what the custom of red was developed in relation to. This tradition should therefore not apply to Sikhs who rejected such threats of the moguls, and were instructed to wear two dastaars after being told to not wear one, who built high takhats to dispbey orders not to do so, who in every which way rejected the laws of the Mogul's. In this manner, we degrade ourselves by wearing the red dastaars of slavery, and subservience to the moguls.

Waheguroo Jee Ka Khalsa!

Waheguroo Jee Kee Fateh!!

Why do monays grow a beard and wear a dastaar on their wedding day? Is that Manmat? At the end of the day everyone knows they are a monay, the family, friends and Guruji. So why do they try to look like a keshdari on their wedding? Strange if you ask me... grin.gif

Why do monays grow a beard and wear a dastaar on their wedding day? Is that Manmat? At the end of the day everyone knows they are a monay, the family, friends and Guruji. So why do they try to look like a keshdari on their wedding? Strange if you ask me... 

Strange if you ask anyone Pyara Ji......and I totally agree with Harpal on the red dastaar and wearing a kalgi......its pathetic!!!!

The Kalgi is only for the one King of Kings, Sri Guru Gobind Singh Ji

Dhan Dhan Kalgiaa(n)vala Pitha ^_^^_^

vwihgurU jI kw Kwlsw!

vwihgurU jI kI &iqh!!

Though it is odd and strange that mone keep a beard for the wedding and shave it straight away before the party and take off the pagh...

my view is...

for a mona to keep a beard and tie a pagh on his wedding day - can be a positive thing. It proves and shows the mona that he is capable of keeping kesh. when he gets his wedding photos developed and his photo is framed on the wall with him wearing a pagh on his wedding day - it will remind him and show him that he can do it! he can one day (if you wants to) keep sikhi saroop.

HOWEVER! I think mone should at least keep the beard and turban for the WHOLE DAY and not just for the morning and shave it off. The sudden shaving and taking off the pagh = disrespectful. It gives the impression that now the anand kaaraj is over, the boy is now free and happy without a pagh and beard, showing that he is handsome cleanshaven.

So my benti to mone veer jis would be please keep your beards and paghs for the whole day! :TH:

food for thought

Thats quite an interesting point actually- the wedding will be one of the most days of a persons life, and wedding photos will be displayed in the house, and shown to everyone. So if someone is dressed as a keshdhari, there is certainly cause to see a positive. Wouldn't it be great if the kids of all such individuals upon seeing the wedding pictures asked "dad, what happened to your turban and beard?"

vwihgurU jI kw Kwlsw!

vwihgurU jI kI &iqh!!

Though it is odd and strange that mone keep a beard for the wedding and shave it straight away before the party and take off the pagh...

my view is...

for a mona to keep a beard and tie a pagh on his wedding day - can be a positive thing. It proves and shows the mona that he is capable of keeping kesh. when he gets his wedding photos developed and his photo is framed on the wall with him wearing a pagh on his wedding day - it will remind him and show him that he can do it! he can one day (if you wants to) keep sikhi saroop.

HOWEVER! I think mone should at least keep the beard and turban for the WHOLE DAY and not just for the morning and shave it off. The sudden shaving and taking off the pagh = disrespectful. It gives the impression that now the anand kaaraj is over, the boy is now free and happy without a pagh and beard, showing that he is handsome cleanshaven.

So my benti to mone veer jis would be please keep your beards and paghs for the whole day! :TH:

food for thought

i

agree

just a question tho

say is a mona didn't want to disrespect by growing beard n tieing a phaag for the wedding in the gurudwara what should he do? should he wear a patka to his wedding?

for most ppl these dayz wearin a phaag is just for looking all decked up on ur wedding day no?

just a thought tht crossed my mind n i wuz wondering what that guy should do?