Wearing Kirpan in public..

S1ngh

Does anyone know about the religious rights to wear kirpan in public, most likely in colleges/univ... (California state) ? I heard about several cases that allows californians to wear kirpan in colleges and many public areas.. Does anyone know where to get the offical backup materials on this subject ? Would be a great help.. thankx

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sat Sri Akal:

The policy in educational institutions (schools and colleges) in most states is to not allow any weapons of any type (religious or otherwise) onto the campus. Check with the institution ou desire to visit.

Unfortunately, Sikhs can't quite wear their kirpan on the outside of their clothing without a hassle (arrests, court cases - although, Sikhs have been winning them...).

Yes.. today for the first time i read the sign on my skool campus main entrance "NO FIREARMS"

and i wonder does kirpan comes under that category.. And i could have asked the security gaurds around, but then again i thought they probably won't have any clue about kirpan and sikhi stuff so why bother and take panga.. But if in case they do notice the kirpan on any singh/kaur.. then at least we should have something in our pocket to show them there at the spot that we are allowed to keep em..

I think UCLA did fought for rights to wear kirpan in public school.. but don't know under what conditions.. i have to find out.. :T:

But thanks ms514 :D

Guest SikhForLife

heh.. well in my college kirpan over 3 inches isnt allowed.. but ofcourse singhs wear it.. police doesnt know

but we should tell them about it and educate them!!

something we will surely do this year