• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
S1ngh

Shorts & Gurdwara ?

32 posts in this topic

Is it okay to wear shorts while visiting gurdwara sahib or attending keertan program?? (male subject in question.. :T: )

Thanks.. grin.gif

ummm i do not know.......

when i was a kid living in Amritsar...and went to a Khalsa school....and we had a Gurdwara within the school...and i think (i am not sure) that small kids used to have nickers as a part of uniform and they went to Gurdwara Sahib before going to school....

but you think you are doing anything bad going to GD with shorts...then wear something else.....but with long shorts i think nothing is bad though....everything i coved up...(?)

rolleyes.gif

Well, you gotta ask yourself. Do you consider man and woman to be equal? If so, then if you can wear shorts to the Gurdwara should women also be allowed to wear shorts or not? rolleyes.gif

Sure, people say "What are you talking about?" "That's insane!". But if our Gurus gave both men and women equal status in society and in practising religion, then why not?

Here's the thing, people say "Oh, if women wear shorts to the Gurdwara, then it creates kaam for men". Well, don't you think its the same for women? :T: If you wear shorts, they will also be distracted to look at you, and if you got a fit body, they would get kaam as well.

So it all depends on the individual, let me kno what you guys think? Bhul chuk maaf karnee!!

Daas,

Daljeet Singh

How many people do you see wear just a kachehra to the gurdwara? rolleyes.gif :D

1 person likes this

vwihgurU jI kw Kwlsw!

vwihgurU jI kI &iqh!!

chalogaa yaar no problem u can wear a shorts and go to gurudwara sahib but not very short once :D it should be till godaa grin.gif

Thanks peeps.. ^_^

I think daljeet does got tha excellent point.. For example.. personally me.. i can say aye for singhs to wear short while visiting gurdwara, but i would really discourage for women gender to do same, cauz i know guys are lot more pervet than women (maybe).. but in case of guys wearing shorts, i don't think women feel the same way as guy do.. maybe it has to do with punjabi culture and stuff.. rolleyes.gif

I think Daljeet singh made a very valid point. When Women talk about wearing skirts or Shorts in the Gurdwara then we give them a lecture that it will distract the male members of the sangat.

So doesn't the opposite happen when a guy wears shorts. :D

Vaaheguroo Jee Ka Khalsa!

Vaaheguroo Jee Kee Fateh!!

Interesting views. and boyy i soooo agree that if men can wear shorts women should be allowed to do so cuz of the equality thing. tongue.gif But *sigh* there's alwaiz the double standard where guys wearing whatever they please is accepted but if a girl so much as wears shirt and long pants she gets stared at or remarks are passed about her . Whatever the case, I believe we should dress appropriately according to the occasion....im sure gurujee duznt wanna see us waltzing into darbaar with our bare legs. And as far as the kaam thing is concerned...i guess if u look upon all guyz/gals as bros/sis the kaam thing shouldn't get to you. :T:

Waheguroo Jee Ka Khalsa!

Waheguroo Jee Kee Fateh!!

I do agree that there should be equal rite for Sikh man and woman.

We visit gurudwara sahib or sangat to listen the teachings of GURUJEE and to get inspiration & kirpa to follow those. As we know the Five evils in us are very powerful and always on their job so we need continous blessings of gurujee and sangat plus our will power to control them and be firm on gurujee's techings but its not that easy job friends. These five takes our contiuous Test/ Exam in day to day activities n chores.

Gurdwara Sahib is like a School and Sadh Sangat is like a class room. In a class room there are certain rules which every student has to obey including not doing such activity which can break the concentration of fellow students etc. Similary one should not wear any such stuff or do such kind of activity which can disturb concentration of other sangat member and any of five evils get the chance to do his job. E.g. if a gurl wearing jewellery in her foot creating sound comes into sangat will surely disturb cocentration of sangat similary if ones wears skimppy clothes or likewise can cause loss of concentration for some sangat which is not a wise and right thing to do .

So in my opinion all of us should wear appropriate dress even when we are not in the gurudwara sahib jee.

bhul chuk maaf

waheguur jee ka khalsa, waheguru jee kee fateh

a bitter truth.. guys are more pervet than girls.. so thats why i think in our culture we got all against the idea of girls wearing shorts etc... (ex trying to be protective).. But in other way around.. guys wearing shorts is normally and no problem to anyone.. rite?

yea i suppose its no problem .

hmm...guys are more perverted than girls.....yea very true but surprisingly there are some girls out there who can be worse. :D

Bhan Balwinder Kaur jee

Waheguroo Jee Ka Khalsa!

U got every rite to disagree with me but kindly clear ur view point how and why u disagree with me just to teach this moorakh brother something.

bhul chuk maaf

choota veer bhupender singh

Waheguroo Jee Ka Khalsa!

Waheguroo Jee Ka Khalsa!

if u feel comfortable wearing shorts and they dont distract ur attention from waheguru then wear them, if wearing shorts does distract u then dont wear them

Waheguroo Jee Ka Khalsa!

bsbk123 jee, i was agreeing with you. u must be confused. plz re-read my post : when i say i couldnt agree more with you it means i truly agree with what you say.

Waheguroo Jee Ka Khalsa!

Bhan Balwinder Kaur jee, many thanks for correcting me jee.

regards & bhul chuk maaf

Bhupender Singh

Waheguroo Jee Ka Khalsa!

Wear anything you want to the gurdwara as long as it is simple, nothing fancy, no bright colours. Something that doesnt draw attention to yourself, if you feel comfortable in shorts and think its not a big deal then wear them.

With 14+yrs maturity since creating of this topic, I would say that we should dress properly and shirts should be avoided. Living in sunny area, I wear shorts most of the time but do not wear it while going to gurughar.

2 people like this

I totally agree with you. We should dress decently when we go to the gurdwareh.

Edited by muscleman

Those who follow kachherra rehat, they probably wouldn't wear anything over their kachherra.

I have heard something called a half-stop is allowed if it is called. 

Those who follow strict rehat will not wear pyjama or trousers over their kaccherra.

But then their Singhnis will wear something over the kaccherra.

I mean proper rehit for Singhs is to wear kacchera so obviously this applies in gurdwara as well. Really your knees should be covered.

Mom and dad taught us to cover our kacheras with trousers and not to go in front of ladies without'em. I always wear jeans or trousers over my kachera 'cos it is a mark of respect for Maharaj Ji.