Guest Concerned Singh K

Abuse of boys in Sikh Jathas, India and UK.

Guest Concerned Singh K

WJKK WJKF 

(This post is not here to name individuals or organisations, or hurt any person or organisations sentiments, please respect each others views and keep it civil in the replies.) 

I would like to raise awareness to the issues we are currently facing in the Panth and the way that many Sikhs are deluded and brainwashed by Cults/Jathas and Sikhi Camps, I want to push for some sort of answer to his problem so read the below story as I tried to make it as concise as possible. 

Recently, my sister who is 14, decided she wanted to attend a Sikhi- camp. I thought great idea, I will volunteer to be a Sevadar as I am a Amritdhari Singh and also can read/write punjabi, and everything will be great as the organisers were requesting a additional punjabi teaching volunteer, sister can have fun and I can get to meet new people and learn about my faith more... Cutting a long story short got the "job" as the punjabi teacher for the duration of the camp, aside from the standard type of hypocritical Amrithdaris, I was greeted with some overly happy looking Singhs who were one of the main organisers for the whole thing and , initially this seemed like a good thing, change of scene, positive environment, close with the guru etc. 

The day before the last day of camp everything had been going well aside from there being no hot water, during my session, a young singh asked if he can talk to me in private (A lot of the youths trusted me more than other volunteers), I said yeah sure, I was wondering what it was about, I thought the kid may be missing his family or something. Turns out, one of the organising Singhs last night went to this young singhs sleeping area and kissed him on the lips "Goodnight", and casually walked away. 

The young singh said he felt like he has been violated now because he hasn't even kissed a girl let alone ..., Furious as I was, I had a feeling he was telling the truth, I knew there was something dodgy about the key organising Singhs but just was not too sure of it. I went to the Singh immediately, took him to one side and asked him quietly what happened? He denied the whole thing, but said he did go check on the young Singh at night as he thought he heard someone walking around when doing Pehra. There was no proof he said, the youths word against the Singhs, and I was just a volunteer. As hard as it was I had to leave the camp with my sister, and I also instructed the other young singh to say he is ill or something and leave, he can come stay at ours with my, wife and daughter if he is scared of his parents, (as he is coming back early from camp and I have a spare room due to my son being at University). The young singh stayed over night at ours and he told the story to my wife while I questioned my daughter too see if she was ok. Thankfully, my daughter said she is good and, she was in my sight most of the camp anyway. My wife, said that this should be reported to the police immediately, I told her they won't do anything due to lack of evidence, no witnesses, cctv, forensics etc. We did end up going with the young Singh to his families house and explaining what had gone on. His parents are both from india, 1st language Punjabi, but have been in the UK for over 17 years. They didn't want to go to the police either, instead they just kept it hush and boycotted the organising Singhs projects. Heard from the young singh and he is doing better now going gym and focusing on his studies to recover from what is in my view a terrible incident, he has a few of his close friends supporting him and he knows me and my wife are only a phone call away if he ever needs a place to crash or hangout... contrary to his mates, the response from a lot of trusted sangat/singhs that I told, did not want to hear any of it. Its like half of them were like no the organising Singh is too pious, his kirtan skills are too good, reads bani etc  he would never do that and other half was like they already knew these things went on and there isn't nothing we can do about it. But surely there is something we can do to prevent these situations? Wether you believe it or not, it does happen and can happen to anyone... its Kalyug. 

I did some research and I have read threads on this very site dating back from 2006 with similar allegations, we are in 2018 now... and many more carpet jobs have taken place in the last few years (without naming anyone or implicated any jatha)

It is time we stopped trusting our children with cults and groups of strangers and "Singhs", not all singhs are bad but its hard to tell who is a masand and who is not, especially the amount of these groups where there are no women. Many of these Singhs do seem camp, not very warrior like. 

We need to draft up some sort of organised committee that keeps files of children attending Sikhism camps/and or involved in active jathas and who is responsible for there wellbeing, there should be a balance in males to females volunteer ratios at these camps, perhaps camp volunteers wear go pros? After all, many of them are not qualified to look after children, I certainly wasn't... maybe even some community police involvement? Perhaps a Sikh camp OFSTED (similar in schools where they are rated and inspected at random intervals). How can we prevent these cases happening and furthermore how can we go about actually punishing those involved when they are in a higher power place in society in terms of money, power, vocal skills, respect and following. 

Oh, and the organising Singh is raking in £$£$£ with his latest camp project acting like nothing has happened, even sent me hello messages on a few occasions which I obviously ignored :S 

Guest r2d2

Bro I know of this too happening in many camps and organisations. It is sickening. That's why I would recommend making everyday a 'camp' by doing as path,santhiya, simran, seva and sangat on a daily basis. Teach your children yourself or by respected elders and mahapurkhs, not any random tom, <banned word filter activated> or harry (pun intended).

Guest The truth

A very serious issue giving the circumstances... no adult should ever have any intimate relations with children.  This is strictly forbidden by law and is morally wrong! and this person is trusted & is running a children's camp too!! 

I hope you made it very clear to him that this is not acceptable behaviour and that if you ever hear of this again or hear of it from another child you will report him the police. 

We can not tolerate this behaviour in our community & from people in trusted positions but at the same time as you mentioned there must be proof as we can not condem an innocent man if nothing has taken place.

This has to be one of the most difficult situations to deal with & I fully respect you for your actions. You really are an amazing individual for the actions you have taken brother.

I hope our fellow members can add more... I'm shocked tbh.

Disappointing to read but not surprising.

Good to know that this doesn't seem to have affected the kid too much and that he's trying to continue with life.

CCTV would be the best solution, in my opinion - especially when some youth have the choice to wake up a bit later in the morning when most people are already awake or outside or when they relax in their bedrooms alone - equipment could be hired and footage checked by an external company (data integrity) so no-one is looking after a 'friend' and any costs incurred can be easily recouped through small price rises/extra donations/own expense which shouldn't be a problem if it proves the difference between truth and corruption.

As for some of the male youth, some do need to toughen up a bit - still not enough emphasis is placed on the martial side. Perhaps more of an equal presence of boys and girls with more interaction between the two could make a difference. From my own experience of camp here in the uk, there were just as many girls as there were boys, some who can look after themselves.

• Like 1

Guest Kaur943

I too have had a similar thing happen to someone I know. But as you can see, not many people actually care about this as you would have got more replies. Shocking that people would rather throw a hissy fit over a movie release than do something regarding this... do they think only rape and abuse happens to girls?? In the sikh community it’s more the males that are targeted for this very ignorance. We have a problem and it needs to be addressed before it blows up into a Jimmy Saville style epidemic. 

I flagged up this issue a few years ago. Nothing. I said back then we're going to see traumatized young Sikhs in the next decade and more, taking this to the western media, which will bring us so much behzti, and will funnily enough dissuade future generations from Sikh-centric events and causes... so, basically doing the Indian intelligence services job on their behalf. Now it's still relatively in-house, but the [censored] chamche and enablers we've cultivated in our communities are doing a fantastic job of being in denial, either through ignorance or because of utter delusion, because their favourite [censored] has a silver tongue or can hold a note or two on the stage, which obviously means he / they must be beyond reproach(!)

I'll repeat what I said a few years ago: we seem to have inadvertently created a situation in the West where young, gay or bisexual Sikh men are using the religious and communal social apparatus to indulge their sexual urges, believing they are hidden from plain view. Gay does not equal paedophile, but when there's an overlap of these same individuals trying their luck with underage boys in their supposed care at these get-togethers and camps, then we have a serious problem. 

Edited by MisterrSingh
  • Like 1

The problem with the Sikh community is that we have too much Punjabi influence and feel the need to cover up wrong doings such as rapes, grooming, sexual abuses, etc to save their "Izzat" or "Honor". In Sikhi, true honor isnt about covering up something bad, but exposing it and fighting against it. There are stories of Sikhs helping people who were sexually abused such as hindu women who were kidnapped by the Mughals, and returning them to their families, if their families would abandon them, then they would take them in themselves, but they never tied to cover the issue up.

Remember: If we cover up these issues, it helps the attackers. They are counting on us hiding the issues. The only reason the grooming issue is affecting the Sikh (lets be real, the Punjabi) community is becuase the Pakistani groomers target those families becuase they know they will cover it up!  

Just as a message to the anomalous user who posted this, please do a service to the Panth and expose the organization and individual who did this, the very fact that you speak anonymously helps them stay in power. Do not be afraid, the Khalsa will protect you! 

Edited by TheeTurbanator
  • Like 3

Guest Concerned Singh K
18 hours ago, TheeTurbanator said:

The problem with the Sikh community is that we have too much Punjabi influence and feel the need to cover up wrong doings such as rapes, grooming, sexual abuses, etc to save their "Izzat" or "Honor". In Sikhi, true honor isnt about covering up something bad, but exposing it and fighting against it. There are stories of Sikhs helping people who were sexually abused such as hindu women who were kidnapped by the Mughals, and returning them to their families, if their families would abandon them, then they would take them in themselves, but they never tied to cover the issue up.

Remember: If we cover up these issues, it helps the attackers. They are counting on us hiding the issues. The only reason the grooming issue is affecting the Sikh (lets be real, the Punjabi) community is becuase the Pakistani groomers target those families becuase they know they will cover it up!  

Just as a message to the anomalous user who posted this, please do a service to the Panth and expose the organization and individual who did this, the very fact that you speak anonymously helps them stay in power. Do not be afraid, the Khalsa will protect you! 

Personally, I did not want to name a organisation as I did not want this to become this become a hate campaign against the Cult as that is one way these predators are able to hide in plain sight and just pass of allegations as "defamation campaigns" by agents of GOI/RSS/TUPAC/BIGGIE. 

The org/singhs have already been named in the other replies, surprising that everyone knows who it is yet has done or refused to do nothing?! BBC and Jimmy Saville come to mind, saddening to say the least  :-( ...

Guest Concerned Singh K
19 hours ago, MisterrSingh said:

I flagged up this issue a few years ago. Nothing. I said back then we're going to see traumatized young Sikhs in the next decade and more, taking this to the western media, which will bring us so much behzti, and will funnily enough dissuade future generations from Sikh-centric events and causes... so, basically doing the Indian intelligence services job on their behalf. Now it's still relatively in-house, but the [censored] chamche and enablers we've cultivated in our communities are doing a fantastic job of being in denial, either through ignorance or because of utter delusion, because their favourite [censored] has a silver tongue or can hold a note or two on the stage, which obviously means he / they must be beyond reproach(!)

I'll repeat what I said a few years ago: we seem to have inadvertently created a situation in the West where young, gay or bisexual Sikh men are using the religious and communal social apparatus to indulge their sexual urges, believing they are hidden from plain view. Gay does not equal paedophile, but when there's an overlap of these same individuals trying their luck with underage boys in their supposed care at these get-togethers and camps, then we have a serious problem. 

Yes, they know that the underage are less likely to talk or be able to defend themselves thats why they target them... I am actually shocked how everyone already knows who this thread was about without me even having to give any specific details! Goes to show there is a big dangerous problem on our hands... 

5 hours ago, Guest Concerned Singh K said:

I am actually shocked how everyone already knows who this thread was about without me even having to give any specific details! Goes to show there is a big dangerous problem on our hands... 

Unfortunately I don't spend much time with sangat these days so I am not 100% sure who this is about, but can guess.

6 hours ago, Guest Concerned Singh K said:

Yes, they know that the underage are less likely to talk or be able to defend themselves thats why they target them... I am actually shocked how everyone already knows who this thread was about without me even having to give any specific details! Goes to show there is a big dangerous problem on our hands... 

Who was it exactly? Maybe I'm blind but I don't see the name listed. 

• Confused 1

Your content will need to be approved by a moderator

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoticons maximum are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Topics

• oh is it.   they wanted around £200 from me about a decade ago, prices must have gone up.   why would naamdharis learn from them when they can learn from naamdhari ustads??
    • loll I really want to wear a chola. I also hate wearing ties and blazers. I try and wear mini hazooria often. Still learning my dumalla, my turban is still anglicised. my sangat and relatives is punjabis, but I would say if they actually followed more punjabi culture it wouldn't harm following sikhi so much as it seems. it's the drunk and uneducated culture that's the harmful stuff, the village <banned word filter activated> mentality.
    •  Today what connects us is not Sikhi but nagar kirtans, akhand paths, turban tieing competitions kabaddi etc..  As you can see there is nothing of substance to hold us together.  These are mostly festivals, no one ones to teach Sikh doctrines.
    • I'm glad one of the Sikh sites have a simran/meditation section because its the core of the dharm.  We need one on this forum, if we don't were going to get further and further from Naam then the only thing we will have is more and more arguments because are mind is not under control   ਜਿਨੀ ਗੁਰਮੁਖਿ ਨਾਮੁ ਨ ਚੇਤਿਓ ਸੇ ਬਹਣਿ ਨ ਮਿਲਨੀ ਪਾਸਿ ॥ 
      जिनी गुरमुखि नामु न चेतिओ से बहणि न मिलनी पासि ॥ 
      Jinī gurmukẖ nām na cẖeṯi▫o se bahaṇ na milnī pās. 
      Those who do not meditate on the Lord, as Gurmukh, are not permitted to sit near the Lord. 
        ਦੁਖੁ ਲਾਗਾ ਬਹੁ ਅਤਿ ਘਣਾ ਪੁਤੁ ਕਲਤੁ ਨ ਸਾਥਿ ਕੋਈ ਜਾਸਿ ॥ 
      दुखु लागा बहु अति घणा पुतु कलतु न साथि कोई जासि ॥ 
      Ḏukẖ lāgā baho aṯ gẖaṇā puṯ kalaṯ na sāth ko▫ī jās. 
      They suffer the most horrible pain and suffering, and neither their sons nor their wives go along with them. 
    • Something is fishy for instance the name of the woman is mentioned as Manohar Lal. How many Sikhs are there with the name Manohar Lal. Her own name Kiran Bala does not seems like a Sikh one.