singh598

Well Done Sikhs Were In The Headlines

That's unfortunate. Alcoholism in Britain has always been a huge problem period. 

I question the intention of the BBC writing an article that singles out Sikhs though. 

I did the survey and an interesting question showed up, it was:

"Do you think that the song lyrics in Bhangra and Punjabi music encourage people to drink alcohol?"

l replied yes. It's the truth.

Navjot says: "Our religion is so different from our actual culture itself - I don't know how the two got mixed up in the way that they have"

That is also true, being Punjabi doesn't mean you are a Sikh, or a fully committed Sikh either.

"There was quite a lot of alcohol involved in every ceremony. Even if it was a religious ceremony during the day, the men would just get together and open a bottle in the evening"

I don't know anyone who gets drunk before an Anand Karaj, it might happen but still...

Depends what the "religious ceremony" is. Most likely an Anand Karaj.

• Like 1

sad thing about this article is, that it is 99% true. our community whether you class that as sikh or punjabi has this issue. from being someone who loved a good session with my cousins at the end of every family gathering, whether that was an akhand paat or wedding, i have experienced this first hand. i have also experienced having family members who were on the sesh everyday. whether we turn this into a sikh vs punjabi, singh vs monah issue, the fact is it affects us all. I dont know what i did to deserve  Guru's kirpa and managed to get away from this, but it is clear that we all need to help each other. 

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, GurjantGnostic said:

That's unfortunate. Alcoholism in Britain has always been a huge problem period. 

I question the intention of the BBC writing an article that singles out Sikhs though. 

You're right. It would be like an article on the prevalence of mithai (sweets) eating in India, but focusing not on Indians who eat tons of sweets, but rather on British expats living in India.

Or an article about immigrants in Ireland drinking too much, totally ignoring the environment in which they live (Irish are famous for drinking).

I would attribute this to the jihadis (practicing and non-practicing) that inhabit the BBC. None was a writer of this article, but could have been editors.

In any case the writers are: Anusha Kumar, Aidan Castelli & Chayya Syal.

The middle one would seem to be Italian. The first, a Hindu. The third says about her faith, "As someone from a faith that’s been berated and under siege for the last 2000 years". What would that be? Not Islam or Sikhism. Perhaps Hindu?

She also says

"In addition, the report goes on to show three spikes in three communities where alcohol consumption and alcohol related deaths are the highest. They are Scottish, Irish and Indian communities. Many of us have heard about the Scottish and Irish stories, but what about the Indian story?"

Yet she chose to write not about "Indians", not even Punjabis in general, but to focus strangely even further only on a specific religious subset of Punjabis: the Sikhs. 

In addition:

As someone from a faith that’s been berated and under siege for the last 2000 years, I understand those emotions and reluctance only too well. It’s not fun feeling like a part of your identity is being ‘picked on’ or being used to pander to cultural stereotypes and that is the last thing that our project is doing.

And yet pandering to stereotypes is exactly what she is doing.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, BhForce said:

The article says "It's a problem which is rarely talked about openly in the community."

Huh? That's strange. Drinking is a hidden problem in the community? Everybody knows about it.

I know, it is drinking that is ruining sangats' ability to follow gurmat at the moment.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, GurjantGnostic said:

and the fact that it was quite clearly written by non-sikhs  with a pronounced agenda . There are loads of alcoholics who are not violent but it doesn't make a juicy and castigating piece against sikhs.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, jkvlondon said:

and the fact that it was quite clearly written by non-sikhs  with a pronounced agenda . There are loads of alcoholics who are not violent but it doesn't make a juicy and castigating piece against sikhs.

and also we are also funding this BBC news by paying the tv licence fee.

Sometimes I feel like stop paying, but then parents want to watch the sikhi channels on the TV; I can just stream and watch Youtube.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ipledgeblue said:

and also we are also funding this BBC news by paying the tv licence fee.

Sometimes I feel like stop paying, but then parents want to watch the sikhi channels on the TV; I can just stream and watch Youtube.

the way it works is if you theoretically dtream from tv channels you have pay licence too, pants really

10 hours ago, singh598 said:

Not exactly headline news is it? the article also mentions hindu punjabis.

The problem is a punjabi culture problem of drinking introduced on a wider scale largely by the racist white british colonialists during their invasion and imperial rule of india they distributed many intoxicants to control the native populations. Export of alcohol and tobacco trade and potential stopping of it was also one of the reasons the british establishment lent support to attack Sikhs including sant bhindranwale (who was anti-intoxicants) in amritsar darbar sahib in 1984 operation blue.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-40613289

Heres another article they did last year this time targeting the so called taboo of "sikh women" and the drink problem. I dont know any hindu punjabi or hindu woman that is sober most do indulge in drinking yet no articles about them, strange.

Either way there is a problem with alcoholism with the punjabi community and the main reason is depression. Men tend to turn to the drink when they are having employment or financial troubles. Women turn to the drink due to emotional or relationship issues.

Prevention is better than cure so its important for punjabi people not to fall into the trap of drinking alcohol especially if they have addictive personalities or no self control. However its so glamourised in mainstream black music and our bhangra music and by the culture of going out and having a drinking to have a good time that it is creating problems for future generations who are impacted and influenced to repeat the problem.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, BhForce said:

The article says "It's a problem which is rarely talked about openly in the community."

Huh? That's strange. Drinking is a hidden problem in the community? Everybody knows about it.

It's also a problem in every community. 

But grooming gangs are "asian" 

1 hour ago, GurjantGnostic said:

It's also a problem in every community. 

But grooming gangs are "asian" 

more asian than most ...

Just now, jkvlondon said:

more asian than most ...

What I wanted to express is the BBC picks a problem, that effects every culture, and focuses just on Sikhs, while avoiding attributing the grooming gang problem to the culture that is responsible for perpetrating it by name. 

• Confused 1

1 hour ago, GurjantGnostic said:

What I wanted to express is the BBC picks a problem, that effects every culture, and focuses just on Sikhs, while avoiding attributing the grooming gang problem to the culture that is responsible for perpetrating it by name. 

yeah it's sickening how sikh girls are disappeared from the whole stats and historical grooming story according to BBC its only happening to the FERAL white kids ...they need slapping .. on both counts  These are little girls who have even been branded like cattle ... the only solution to such crimes is firing squad  for whatever colour sex or religion nonce it is and has been proven to commit.