11 hours ago, BhForce said:

OK, bro, but assuming you have an expert who could recognize all those qualities, could the same expert not also replicate all those qualities in a replica? Is there any technology available in 18th century India not available to worksmiths today?

yes wootz isn't available today nor do indian bladesmithes fold their blades. they are use a produce to fake the similar patterns that of wootz and folding. most stuff out of indian is made of kamani steek ( tank axles ) or just iron. the odd skela or spring steel comes along but nothing in terms of wootz , folded or carbons steel of 18th c.

2 hours ago, MahakaalSavaLakh said:

yes wootz isn't available today nor do indian bladesmithes fold their blades. they are use a produce to fake the similar patterns that of wootz and folding. most stuff out of indian is made of kamani steek ( tank axles ) or just iron. the odd skela or spring steel comes along but nothing in terms of wootz , folded or carbons steel of 18th c.

Well, OK, but the pictures you posted don't show patterns in the manner of wootz steel:

330px-Watered_pattern_on_sword_blade1.Ir

Rather, it just shows a plain sword in the style of, as you say, axle steel, with a smattering of rust.

9 hours ago, BhForce said:

Well, OK, but the pictures you posted don't show patterns in the manner of wootz steel:

Rather, it just shows a plain sword in the style of, as you say, axle steel, with a smattering of rust.

These are zoomed in pics

what bhaji has is not zoomed in

On 07/04/2018 at 12:52 PM, BhForce said:

sorry to burst your bubble there weren't tank axle's available in the 18th c :rofl

The ganga yamunas are my personal favourite. I had a chance to buy one a few years ago for a good price. Im really regretting it now.

1 hour ago, MahakaalSavaLakh said:

not always the case if the sword is kept in the right conditions. 

Those ones did though. The restoration looks good. 

• Confused 2

3 hours ago, GurjantGnostic said:

Those ones did though. The restoration looks good. 

For the confused bootha. Those dark spots are what pitting corrosion leaves when you restore a blade. 

Since the petina was removed it doesn't matter. The antique value is already decreased. As legit shastars though it's no big deal, the rust was removed and they're fine blades. 

I've restored blades before. That minor pitting doesn't effect their value as a relic or weapon just as an antique. Even polishing the blade and removing surface corrosion effects the antique value. 

In some ways it's hard to tell from a photo, but I do metal work for the air force, and that definitely looks like it pitted. 

I still encourage anyone who wants them as weapons to buy them just don't think of them as antiques. 

Edited by GurjantGnostic
  • Confused 2

The definition of pitting is : make a hollow or indentation in the surface of.- like small indentations from rust eating into the blade. these blades have next to nothing pitting in that definition.I would refer to the stains as stable oxidation of the steel rather than active rust or the after effect e.g pitting. That would be my understanding

• Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, MahakaalSavaLakh said:

The definition of pitting is : make a hollow or indentation in the surface of.- like small indentations from rust eating into the blade. these blades have next to nothing pitting in that definition.I would refer to the stains as stable oxidation of the steel rather than active rust or the after effect e.g pitting. That would be my understanding

When you clean or polish the blade, those little black areas are left in the little pits, at least in my experience. 

They're in amazing condition and are cutting blades. I'd be honored to own them, I'm just not in the market. 

They were just given some tender loving care at some point to remove a bit of corrosion. 

At their age that's not a surprise. Beautiful pieces. 

Almost undoubtedly better than any modern sword you could buy, and they have rich history. 

I'm in no way encouraging people not to buy them. Just if they are getting them to trade in antiques the antique value decreases with the proper care they've been given, and whoever is lucky enough to own them will have excellent, old, authentic weapons with some really minor pitting that in no way effects the blade quality. 

Edited by GurjantGnostic
  • Confused 1