GurpreetSingh13

How to become a Nihang Singh

3 hours ago, GurjantGnostic said:

Interesting and unfortunate. How is succession of Jathedar of Budha Dal traditionally handled? 

Is it normal for SGPC to have a say?

I was torn between receiving Amrit from a Dal or Hazur Sahib, and this fighting made my mind up. 

Use your words confused bootha. What part do you find confusing or objectionable?

Edit: For that matter, anyone confused or worried, please voice those concerns. Then nobody has to be the confused bootha and I can have the benefit of your input. 

We'd all learn more from communication. 

Is it the choice of Hazoori over Nihang in my current thinking?

The consideration of either?

The fact it's me and you're just not a fan?

I considered Taksal as well but due to several considerations, when I take Amrit it will be within a Maryada that I will adhere to fully. 

I intend to work hard to be worthy of Amrit and take it when my enlistment is up, but I could be called back to service and find myself in a situation where I have to eat meat based on supply chain. 

Can't be a Sikh in the USAF I found out, if called back into service I would refuse to cut Kesh regardless of consequence but you have to eat..sooo...

Edited by GurjantGnostic
  • Confused 1

33 minutes ago, GurjantGnostic said:

Use your words confused bootha. What part do you find confusing or objectionable?

Edit: For that matter, anyone confused or worried, please voice those concerns. Then nobody has to be the confused bootha and I can have the benefit of your input. 

We'd all learn more from communication. 

Agreed. I have posted before that there should be no confused bootha. A happy face or "like" makes sense because if you like a post, there's nothing more to say, since you agree.

If you don't agree, then there's a reason you don't, and you should post that. Extremely frustrating. Stupid cowards.

Could you do a favor? Contact the admin  @S1NGH  and let him know the above plus the following (also you may want to report your own post):

1. There should be no "faces" except for "like"

2. There should be no anonymous "likes" (or dislikes, but those shouldn't even exist). This is to prevent sockpuppeting.

I'm struggling to understand why people should be able to anonymously "like" a post.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

38 minutes ago, GurjantGnostic said:

I considered Taksal as well but due to several considerations, when I take Amrit it will be within a Maryada that I will adhere to fully. 

I intend to work hard to be worthy of Amrit and take it when my enlistment is up, but I could be called back to service and find myself in a situation where I have to eat meat based on supply chain. 

Can't be a Sikh in the USAF I found out, if called back into service I would refuse to cut Kesh regardless of consequence but you have to eat..sooo...

How long was your enlistment? According to this, you can only be called up involuntarily during an 8-year period which includes membership of the "Individual Ready Reserve".

So, why don't you wait until you're both out of active duty AND out of the Individual Ready Reserve?

Not to mention, that, your thought of taking "Nihung amrit" and being back in the US Air Force and eating meat is highly problematic. First of all, as has been discussed on this forum, commercial meat is often halal. That's because Muslims make a big deal out of it, and Christians don't care. Is there a specific prohibition on Muslim contractors not being able to bid on USAF meat contracts? Doubtful. So there's no guarantee you'll never be forced to eat Halal meat. Also, if you're deployed abroad, you'll be highly likely to get halal meat.

Second, even if it were just "meat" in general, and not halal, that's a problem, too. Strictly speaking, Nihangs (or Sikhs) are not supposed to eat "meat". They can only eat jhatka in a specific maryada.

So, if I were you, I would just wait out the 2 years of Individual Ready Reserve membership, and just learn more about Sikhism, and memorize Nitnem, read all of Guru Granth Sahib during that time. And then take Amrit.

• Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

10 minutes ago, BhForce said:

How long was your enlistment? According to this, you can only be called up involuntarily during an 8-year period which includes membership of the "Individual Ready Reserve".

So, why don't you wait until you're both out of active duty AND out of the Individual Ready Reserve?

Not to mention, that, your thought of taking "Nihung amrit" and being back in the US Air Force and eating meat is highly problematic. First of all, as has been discussed on this forum, commercial meat is often halal. That's because Muslims make a big deal out of it, and Christians don't care. Is there a specific prohibition on Muslim contractors not being able to bid on USAF meat contracts? Doubtful. So there's no guarantee you'll never be forced to eat Halal meat. Also, if you're deployed abroad, you'll be highly likely to get halal meat.

Second, even if it were just "meat" in general, and not halal, that's a problem, too. Strictly speaking, Nihangs (or Sikhs) are not supposed to eat "meat". They can only eat jhatka in a specific maryada.

So, if I were you, I would just wait out the 2 years of Individual Ready Reserve membership, and just learn more about Sikhism, and memorize Nitnem, read all of Guru Granth Sahib during that time. And then take Amrit.

That's a good point I hadn't thought of. The meat could be halal. Shoot.  

It would change my intended three year wait to five. I have a lot of growth to do, so that's not a huge deal. 

With no intention of sparking the meat debate, I actually personally prefer the no meat Rehit of Taksal. 

Although women seem to have a reduced role in Taksal?

I do resonate with the martial aspects of Nihang. 

Lastly if I choose to take Bhang ever, on occasion, I don't intend to break Rehit to do so, and as far as I know it's only accepted in Nihang Maryada?

• Confused 1

5 hours ago, GurjantGnostic said:

Lastly if I choose to take Bhang ever, on occasion, I don't intend to break Rehit to do so, and as far as I know it's only accepted in Nihang Maryada?

It's Shaheedi Degh not bhang by the way, bhang is something different.

I have seen the use of Shardaeei nowadays which doesn't have any drug.

Nihangs would say that it's only acceptable if you don't overdose Shaheedi Degh, because then it's bad.

• Confused 1

@GurjantGnostic As explained in another topic, you don't need to take amrit from Nihangs specifically to be one.

For example, when I spoke to Jathedar Navjeet Singh (Jathedar of UK Wing, Budha Dal), he asked me if I have taken amrit.

I replied yes, but I also mentioned I took it from Taksal not Hazur Sahib/Dals.

He then said that's fine, Taksal is ok. (From his reply I guess it may be limited to certain Jathebandian, my friend took amrit from GNNSJ and he still got accepted).

As long as you fully adhere to the Rehat and lifestyle, and do seva of a Dal and/or engage in Bani, Naam, Seva, Shastar and Bana then you should be fine.

• Confused 2

9 hours ago, GurjantGnostic said:

Interesting and unfortunate. How is succession of Jathedar of Budha Dal traditionally handled? 

I was torn between receiving Amrit from a Dal or Hazur Sahib, and this fighting made my mind up. 

Not at all.

Who are SGPC to decide the Jathedar of Budha Dal, when Budha Dal dates back to Sri Guru Hargobind Sahib Ji and Baba Budha Ji?

SGPC have higher power than Akal Takth unfortunately (and Budha Dal used to be a Takth and used to control Akal Takth long ago, some people say this links to the Baba Santa Singh controversy but Basics Of Sikhi also made a video on this).

• Confused 1

8 hours ago, BhForce said:

Was this with the acquiescence of Baba Prem Singh?

I doubt Baba Prem Singh would commit such a crime, there was a reason why his group wanted him to be Jathedar. He may have been picked due to his seva and commitment and loyalty to the Dal. I mainly follow Baba Joginder Singh Raqba though, because he was given Jathedar from the previous Jathedar.

Edited by monatosingh

4 hours ago, monatosingh said:

Confused boothi at it again.

Yeah that's on them. They want to sit in Maya confused and cowardly, let em.

Not everyone has what it takes to conduct themselves as a Gursikh. 

On 01/04/2018 at 10:14 PM, superdupersingh said:

Still not as good as the kitchen knife in blazer comment. You won the internet with that one lol

Mate I keep kitchen knives in my shastar prakash, whats ur point

• Haha 2

On 4/1/2018 at 10:46 PM, GurjantGnostic said:

it shouldn't be normal for SGPC "committee"  to have a say in any sikh matters to be honest!

• Confused 1

25 minutes ago, ipledgeblue said:

it shouldn't be normal for SGPC "committee"  to have a say in any sikh matters to be honest!

SGPC already has committee in it therefore you need not say committee after SGPC.

• Haha 2