Jump to content
superdupersingh

Deodorants: Toxic, carcinogenic ingredients and what to do

Recommended Posts

We are taught that breast cancer most commonly occurs in the upper outer quadrant and this is precisely the location closest to which deodorant is applied. This thought came to me many years ago and since then I've looked at the research and delved more closely into the ingredients of underarm cosmetics. 

You won't be surprised to again find these products full of the same culprits : carcinogens, endocrine disruptors, irritants to name but 3 of their properties. Literally, you can take your pick. Pick up your deodorant and google each ingredient on the label to see what you are putting into your body (skin absorption-->bloodstream/lymph) (You might also like this: https://articles.mercola.com/sites/articles/archive/2016/07/20/dangerous-deodorant-antiperspirant-ingredients.aspx)

The solution is simple:

Use lemon/limes: I cut a small slice of lime everyday and squeeze its juice into my palm then apply to my armpits. It works in controlling body odour.

Deodorants actually worsen body odour so you have to use more and more and buy more and more to mask it, leading to a vicious cycle, at the cost of your pocket and your health . So just quit it.

Address your diet too...avoid poor diets containing processed food/refined sugar/carbs . Eat more raw, organic foods, raw dairy (not pasteurised/homogenised) etc

Also In summer/hot climates its good to have a bath/shower twice a day.

Hope this information is useful and make you more conscious of the products you are using. Remember always read the label, do your research, and if you don't know..avoid it!

(P.s. read my other posts too if you are interested in avoiding other disease promoting products)

 

 

 

Edited by superdupersingh
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Doesn’t this irritate? 

10 hours ago, superdupersingh said:

Deodorants actually worsen body odour so you have to use more and more and buy more and more to mask it, leading to a vicious cycle, at the cost of your pocket and your health . So just quit it.

And they smell too strong. Same as the overpowering shower gels. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Don't use any deodorant myself but isn't fresh lemon juice too acidic for the skin?

Baking soda is pH 0 so it would neutralise that and the acidity - mixing the two would increase potency and lessen irritability to sensitive skin.

Seen potatoes used on armpits too.

Also, spices contribute to odour - we should try to use less.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, GuestSingh said:

Seen potatoes used on armpits too.

Aloo ? That would be a bit awkward. If it’s applied whilst wearing a jacket, fer jacket potato banjana 🥔 😛

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I use a small amount of freshly squeezed lime juice and no problems. Obviously don't apply if you have cuts or broken skin.

The ph inhibits bacterial growth and complements the natural acid mantle of the skin.

Baking soda will disrupt this acid mantle and cause severe irritation and reactions so I would not recommend it. Also baking soda can be adulterated with aluminium which is toxic.

 

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
41 minutes ago, simran345 said:

Aloo ? That would be a bit awkward. If it’s applied whilst wearing a jacket, fer jacket potato banjana 🥔 😛

Koi nahi, fikke aloo paronthe suad ai.

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
35 minutes ago, superdupersingh said:

I use a small amount of freshly squeezed lime juice and no problems. Obviously don't apply if you have cuts or broken skin.

The ph inhibits bacterial growth and complements the natural acid mantle of the skin.

Baking soda will disrupt this acid mantle and cause severe irritation and reactions so I would not recommend it. Also baking soda can be adulterated with aluminium which is toxic.

Presumably, unwaxed/organic only? Srays would absorb just like other fruit/veg.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

would the lemon/lime juice discolour clothing  as citrus juice in sunlight can yellow or bleach out stains  (have used it this on laundry)

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

7 minutes ago, jkvlondon said:

would the lemon/lime juice discolour clothing  as citrus juice in sunlight can yellow or bleach out stains  (have used it this on laundry)

No. I have not experienced any issues. Give it a try and see. A lot of people use lemon/lime as a natural deodorant including my friends and family. 

Edited by superdupersingh

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If you are adding too much vinegar/lemon/anything acidic into your washing machine then it can cause the colours to fade. I have never needed to put anything acidic into the washing machine as i just use soapnuts.

However, on whites you can use these acidic substances without any risks to your clothes. 

Regarding the deodorant, there aren't any issues unless people have broken skin/cuts in which case i would avoid putting anything on the armpits. I've been doing this for years and don't smell at all. 

After applying the lime juice you could even get a spray bottle add a few drops of essential oil, fill it with water and use. Even rose water. 

 

Edited by superdupersingh
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, superdupersingh said:

If you are adding too much vinegar/lemon/anything acidic into your washing machine then it can cause the colours to fade. I have never needed to put anything acidic into the washing machine as i just use soapnuts.

However, on whites you can use these acidic substances without any risks to your clothes. 

Regarding the deodorant, there aren't any issues unless people have broken skin/cuts in which case i would avoid putting anything on the armpits. I've been doing this for years and don't smell at all. 

 

no I meant to remove a stain I have used neat juice on the garment ...and was worried if there would be a chance of cloth fading in pit area . I know it does a great job on BO I used juice to santise woolen undersuit for my husband's scuba gear ^_^

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, jkvlondon said:

no I meant to remove a stain I have used neat juice on the garment ...and was worried if there would be a chance of cloth fading in pit area . I know it does a great job on BO I used juice to santise woolen undersuit for my husband's scuba gear ^_^

Lol i see. I just checked all of my t shirts etc...no fading in pit area. If you are still worried, i can pay you if this ever happens.O:)

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now


  • Topics

  • Posts

    • Monatosingh replied. The rope is strategic in many ways. Out in the wild and need to make weapons, you may need rope. Need to make a little makeshift roof, you need rope. Need to tie anything together for the purpose of surviving, you will always need rope.   Dori also saves the issue of gatra breaking, etc
    • Guru Nanak Dev Ji's Parkash is disputed between 3 Dates Friday, Katak Sudi 15 Pooranmashi, 1526 Bikrami (Lunar) Saturday, Vaisakh Sudi 3, 1526 Bikrami (Lunar) (Not Pooranmashi) Monday, 1 Vaisakh, 1526 Bikrami (Solar Date) (Pooranmashi) There is debate on this issue, I recommend reading the document mentioned in the OP. Also PLS, Benti for everyone, when referring to Gurpuabs, pls use Bikrami or Mool Nanakshahi (Which are basically Bikrami dates) dates, don't use English dates as they are not accurate as the original. We need more people to start using Desi Months and days, Barah Maha Parro!
    • Serious question though, how would one use a Dori Kirpan practically? Like how would it be used? I think thats why some people say its just for show because maybe you can't use it well? I wouldn't know.
    • Sometimes we use the phrase "Just do it" in the Dojo. Other times we say "Shut up and train".  Heh. 
    • Exactly. Oh, so it's not a made-up saakhi? Even if it were, it would be good. It sounds vaguely like the saakhi of Bhai Banno. I agree that it is unreasonable to demand discounts of shopkeepers because "it's for a religious purpose". They can't verify that. You're trading on your long beard to make the other guy think you're "religious". You're just setting it up for unscrupulous people with beards to come by and abuse it, which then gets found out, and then people lose faith in Sikhs and Sikhi. On the other hand, it would be OK for a gurdwara to put out the call for construction materials, legal services, accounting services, medical services (free medical camps). Then people can verify it's for a religious purpose because they're giving directly to the gurdwara. And then sawmill owners can drop off wood at the gurdwara, marble showroom owners can drop off marble, etc. Or people in fields not in demand can buy the stuff (possibly at cost) and have it delivered to the gurdwara.
×