Preet Gill / Chopra as MP for Birmingham Edgbaston

Guest Guest

Guest Guest

There is a discussion in ‘General’ in which it was implied, before the last general election, that Preet Gill was married to a Sikh based on a picture posted in that discussion and suggestion that it’s her husband. It appears that was after all a picture of her with her brother. 

it now has transpired, in the same discussion, that Preet Gill is in fact married to a Hindu guy. 

Nothing against anyone marrying whoever they wish to, but why the deliberate distortion before the election by her supporters of the plain and clear (so far unchallenged ) fact that Preet Gill/ Preet Chopra is married to a Hindu guy?

Will Sikh Youth UK still support her? Have they checked where and when did Preet and her husband marry ? Was it in a Gurdwara, Mandir  or was it just a civil ceremony  ? Did he adopt Sikhism or did she adopt Hinduism ?

5 hours ago, S4NGH said:

What does it matter? Judge her for what she is actively doing for us Sikhs. Judge her for her stance against india; her fight for Jagtar Singh Jaggi. She's a politician; judge her for her politics. Not her marriage/husband. Tfs it to you?? 

Is it ok for us to accept interfaith marriage, if it took place at the GuruGhar, providing the person in question then works for Sikh rights?

Guest WakeUp Coffee
On 22/03/2018 at 7:22 AM, InderjitS said:

Is it ok for us to accept interfaith marriage, if it took place at the GuruGhar, providing the person in question then works for Sikh rights?

Scenario 1 ( year 2018)

Preet Kaur Gill is banned from getting married at her Gurdwara.

She is then therefore forced to get married in a Mandir

Then her children are raised as Hindu's since parents banned from Gurdwara.

Scenario 2 ( year 2009)

Preet Kaur Gill and her husband marry at her childhood Gurdwara

The husband is now a regular attendee at Gurdwara known as Mr S.Singh.

The children are regular attendees of the Gurdwara to this day.

Wake up and smell the coffee Inderjit Singh Ji.

Sikhs are 0.7% of the UK population. Given that 99.3% of people in the UK are non-Sikh it is 100% inevitable that people will marry "out" for want of a better word. The question then becomes do we want to integrate the new partner into the Sikh Panth for Sarbat da Bhalla and do we want to ensure their children and future generations are part of the Gurdwara Sangat and Sikh Panth?

Scenario 1 is a dream scenario for all haters of the Sikh Panth as it guarantees the eventual demographic destruction of the Sikh Panth in overseas countries. And with Sikhs likely to become a minority in Punjab some time between 2021 to 2031 then a minority which alienates its own adherents away from the faith will only get smaller and smaller if we do not wake up and smell the coffee.

34 years after the Pakistani Genocide in 1947 pretty much everybody had forgotten about how 20% of Sikhs were killed there. Given that the percentage of Sikh murder victims at the hands of the Congress (Indira) Genocide after 1984 were less than 1% of the Sikh population back then we need to wake up and smell the coffee about how most people will think in 2018.

Especially with Sikhs being a minority in Doaba already but soon overall in Punjab if we don't get our act together in focussing on what matters in terms of poor children's education, increasing sehajdhari Sikh numbers throughout Punjab, India and Africa and uniting every Pind under a single Gurdwara.

If we focus on pointless diaspora referendums whilst drugs, cancer, poverty and caste divisions are flourishing then the blame will lie with us not our enemies. Instead of plane loads of Sikh pilgrims descending on Pakistan in 2019 perhaps we ought to plead with them to spend that same money on ensuring poor Sikh children get an education in Punjab and ensuring that poor Sikh cancer patients can get healthcare without needing to convert.

12 hours ago, S4NGH said:

We don't know if that is the case. As I said, judge her for her political work. We finally have some representation in parliament in a fairly prominent position who is actually willing to speak up about our issues (unlike Paul uppal and lord Singh). Are we trying to push her away too?

We don't, hence why I used 'if' and my response was more to you stating 'what does it matter'. Considering her father's standing in society and previous active role in Smethwick, I'd be disappointed if she married a Hindu. Without knowing the full facts, I'll leave it at that.

3 hours ago, Guest WakeUp Coffee said:

Scenario 1 ( year 2018)

Preet Kaur Gill is banned from getting married at her Gurdwara.

She is then therefore forced to get married in a Mandir

Then her children are raised as Hindu's since parents banned from Gurdwara.

Scenario 2 ( year 2009)

Preet Kaur Gill and her husband marry at her childhood Gurdwara

The husband is now a regular attendee at Gurdwara known as Mr S.Singh.

The children are regular attendees of the Gurdwara to this day.

Wake up and smell the coffee Inderjit Singh Ji.

Sikhs are 0.7% of the UK population. Given that 99.3% of people in the UK are non-Sikh it is 100% inevitable that people will marry "out" for want of a better word. The question then becomes do we want to integrate the new partner into the Sikh Panth for Sarbat da Bhalla and do we want to ensure their children and future generations are part of the Gurdwara Sangat and Sikh Panth?

Scenario 1 is a dream scenario for all haters of the Sikh Panth as it guarantees the eventual demographic destruction of the Sikh Panth in overseas countries. And with Sikhs likely to become a minority in Punjab some time between 2021 to 2031 then a minority which alienates its own adherents away from the faith will only get smaller and smaller if we do not wake up and smell the coffee.

34 years after the Pakistani Genocide in 1947 pretty much everybody had forgotten about how 20% of Sikhs were killed there. Given that the percentage of Sikh murder victims at the hands of the Congress (Indira) Genocide after 1984 were less than 1% of the Sikh population back then we need to wake up and smell the coffee about how most people will think in 2018.

Especially with Sikhs being a minority in Doaba already but soon overall in Punjab if we don't get our act together in focussing on what matters in terms of poor children's education, increasing sehajdhari Sikh numbers throughout Punjab, India and Africa and uniting every Pind under a single Gurdwara.

If we focus on pointless diaspora referendums whilst drugs, cancer, poverty and caste divisions are flourishing then the blame will lie with us not our enemies. Instead of plane loads of Sikh pilgrims descending on Pakistan in 2019 perhaps we ought to plead with them to spend that same money on ensuring poor Sikh children get an education in Punjab and ensuring that poor Sikh cancer patients can get healthcare without needing to convert.

Thankfully, I don't drink Coffee.

I'll keep my reply short as I don't have the time now, but Sikhi is a niara panth we accept quality over quantity everytime. We coped perfectly fine after the Vada Ghallughara when our numbers were in the few thousands and Sikhi according to Bhai Jagraj Singh in one of his videos is one of the fastest growing faiths. We have no need to mix with other faiths (in the context of marriage) and shouldn't as per maryada.