Encouraging family life

IronLion

Greetings, 

I am new to Sikhism (about 4 months) of reading and practicing as best I can. One of the aspects I like a lot is the encouragement of family life. Up until this point, I had been a practicing Buddhist for the past ~11 years. Having recently had a child and starting a young family, the strong teaching of renunciation of family life is one of the things that made me turn away from Buddhism. For me, religion/philosophy/way of life, is about support to keep being a positive and good person no matter how challenging life can become. I think that having a family is difficult and Sikhism gives one support to get through tough times. In addition, I think life should be celebrated and having a family does that I think. I was curious as to what the main reasons behind the encouragement of family life are in Sikhism. I know it is encouraged, but haven't really come across the why. Thanks everyone. 

Waheguru Ji Ka Khalsa, Waheguru Ji Ki Fateh

- I.  

1 hour ago, IronLion said:

I was curious as to what the main reasons behind the encouragement of family life are in Sikhism. 

I've always suspected that beyond the obvious spiritual justifications about soul brides and what have you, the pragmatic social and moral reasons for encouraging the lifestyle of a householder are important for the growth of any healthy and successful society or group of people with a common set of beliefs. Tell the flock they'll suffer spiritual consequences for adultery or sowing wild oats outside the structure of a monogamous marriage, and most of them will tow the line. As much of the teachings of Sikh scripture are timeless, I find myself looking at the era and social mores of the time of them being established to understand some of the reasons for what's being imparted to us. 

Sri Guru Nanak dev ji did not encourage family life.  Guru Nanak dev ji showed through family life a soul can merge with Vaheguru.  People were teaching by being a householder you can't merge with God.  This belief was rejected by Sri Guru Nanak dev ji.

You are a lucky soul to be able to come to the only Guru who can carry you across to Vaheguru.  Forget what you learned from others and only learn from the Guru and the Guru will bless you with his grace.

1 hour ago, GurjantGnostic said:

crossing the world ocean, not hiding in a cave on a mountain next to the ocean. More like escaping through Maya not escaping to the outskirts of Maya. 

Yes, completely agree with this statement. I have found a lot of similarities between Buddhism and Sikhism, but this is a huge difference and one that I desperately need. 

10 hours ago, IronLion said:

Greetings, 

I am new to Sikhism (about 4 months) of reading and practicing as best I can. One of the aspects I like a lot is the encouragement of family life. Up until this point, I had been a practicing Buddhist for the past ~11 years. Having recently had a child and starting a young family, the strong teaching of renunciation of family life is one of the things that made me turn away from Buddhism. For me, religion/philosophy/way of life, is about support to keep being a positive and good person no matter how challenging life can become. I think that having a family is difficult and Sikhism gives one support to get through tough times. In addition, I think life should be celebrated and having a family does that I think. I was curious as to what the main reasons behind the encouragement of family life are in Sikhism. I know it is encouraged, but haven't really come across the why. Thanks everyone. 

- I.  

• 3 weeks later...
On 18/03/2018 at 10:46 AM, IronLion said:

Greetings, 

- I.  

Welcome to.this forum! Youve been asking lots of interesting questions. For which im grateful as it livening up the forum.

Also u ask questions that make us think deeply cuz weve just taken things for granted.

The reason for being a householder started with Guru Nanak Dev Ji, the founder of the religion.

That time is described as very dark and sad times. India was invaded by mughals who were pushing islam and taxing the population. The religious leaders had become corrupt. The ppl had no one to turn to for help. The legal system, the kings and nobility, the religious leaders were all out to fleece thw common man. And most ppl as happens in hard times were becoming hard hearted and cruel themselves.

Guru Nanak Dev ji traveled and met with all ppl. Trying to make them not think of religious differences and which religion was superior but to connect to God and do good deeds. 

Guruji also went to the mountains and met the renunciates, the hermits, the yogis and the monks. Guruji asked them

You guys r holy ppl. Good and godly ppl. Dont u see how the comman man is suffering. Help them. The yogis replied that if they had sense, they would leave the materialistic world and come meditate in the mountians. Guru ji asked and if all of them did come meditate in the mountains, where would u go to beg for ur food? 

Also guruji said, u go and ask food from them but you call them false. Stuck in mud and other bad names. And in their time of need, do not help them.

Also all the good ppl of the world who have a thirst for God, come live in the mountains. Who is to lead the common ppl? Also dont be so scared of maya(materialism) that u run away from it. Thats not true renuncuation. True renunciation is having all the goods of the world, but being ready to share them and renunciate them when and if needed. If u hide from the world, how will u fight anger,pride, lust? You must live in the world, fight this battle daily and slowly but  surely win. 

So after guruji had traveled all around the known world. Guruji made a community called Kartarpur. Where he farmed. And he showed ppl how to live a worldly life while meditating. And he taught ppl to form satsangs. Or gatherings where Gods praises were sung, ppl helped each other on spiritual and worldly matters.

There was much resistance to this. That householders could be holy and meditate and progress spiritually. There are many sakhis/stories about it. 

Also guruji gave us a practice that fits around householder. Work from sunrise to sunset. Then we have meditations/prayers before sunrise and in the evening. 

On 18/03/2018 at 2:46 PM, IronLion said:

Greetings, 

- I.  

Welcome Brother

We need more brothers to join us and follow the path.