Guest User

Authenticity of Sikhi to the max

Guest room

There is one place in springfield road, hayes where this occurs and only certain hukamnamas are read. Anyone else notice this?

17 hours ago, Guest room said:

There is one place in springfield road, hayes where this occurs and only certain hukamnamas are read. Anyone else notice this?

I was told that Nanaksar Temple have a Maryada where Granthi ji can take new Hukamnama if the first or second is of scolding or rebuke.

Strong will accept any Hukam

ਜੇ ਗੁਰੁ ਝਿੜਕੇ ਤ ਮੀਠਾ ਲਾਗੈ ਜੇ ਬਖਸੇ ਤ ਗੁਰ ਵਡਿਆਈ ॥੨੫॥

Even if the Guru rebukes me, He still seems very sweet to me. And if He actually forgives me, that is the Guru's greatness. ||25||

But there's a provision for weak too ie Bhagat Jan can change Bhagwaan Ji's command

ਮੇਰੀ ਬਾਂਧੀ ਭਗਤੁ ਛਡਾਵੈ ਬਾਂਧੈ ਭਗਤੁ ਨ ਛੂਟੈ ਮੋਹਿ ॥

The devotee can release anyone from my bondage, but I cannot release anyone from his.

ਏਕ ਸਮੈ ਮੋ ਕਉ ਗਹਿ ਬਾਂਧੈ ਤਉ ਫੁਨਿ ਮੋ ਪੈ ਜਬਾਬੁ ਨ ਹੋਇ ॥੧॥

If, at any time, he grabs and binds me, even then, I cannot protest. ||1||

• Like 1

Guest GurbaniNow Sevadaar
On 3/15/2018 at 1:30 PM, Kira said:

It would be so easy to manipulate a cyber hukamnama, like an entry level computer science student could do it. Cyber Hukamnamas, what next bro? Amrit dispensaries? robots doing langar seva? automatic chaur sahibs?

Waheguru Ji Ka Khalsa, Waheuguru Ji Ki Fateh

Daas is the maintainer of the website https://gurbaninow.com/

On the Random Shabad Page, the website just picks a random number that corresponds to a Shabad.

But I agree with you though, this is the reason why I named it Random Shabad rather than "Cyber Hukamnama" or something of the sort.

I found this info on STTM 

Khalis Foundation
Along with #STTM, we built Khajana, the technology that powers it and the next generation of Gurbani Apps. More info:(link: http://khajana.org) khajana.org

The BaniDB Alliance is a group of app developers and organizations that work together to create a single, accurate, digital source for all gurbani, transliterations and translations. Our goal is to serve all apps with an open API that is updated and corrected and provides a variety of options.

6 hours ago, Guest GurbaniNow Sevadaar said:

Daas is the maintainer of the website https://gurbaninow.com/

On the Random Shabad Page, the website just picks a random number that corresponds to a Shabad.

But I agree with you though, this is the reason why I named it Random Shabad rather than "Cyber Hukamnama" or something of the sort.

Waheguru ji ka khalsa

Waheguru ji ki fateh

Congatulations, great work !

Can you add other translations like the ones on Srigranth.org for comparative study.

Thanks n keep up the good work.

Waheguru ji ka khalsa

Waheguru ji ki fateh

Doesn't anyone else see the dangers of digitalisation of gurbani?

it can be very easily altered and difficult to spot unlike the physical form. 

Our enemies are destroying the physical forms of gurbani which are authentic whilst we are trying to combat this by putting it into a virtual format.

Its completely possible that this is their agenda. I think we should be collecting and preserving gurbani in the  original form since this new digital trend has major future pitfalls which i have mentioned: the easy and widespread corruption and distortion of gurbani which our enemies will no doubt be doing after they have done what they can on the physical side. Also the digital versions are completely dependent on electricity/internet/computers and who knows what will happen in the future.

This isn't an ethical argument about gurbani being digitalised but on what is likely to happen based on how our enemies operate. We are playing into their hands. 

Edited by superdupersingh
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

14 minutes ago, superdupersingh said:

Our enemies are destroying the physical forms of gurbani which are authentic whilst we are trying to combat this by putting it into a virtual format.

Its completely possible that this is their agenda. I think we should be collecting and preserving gurbani in the  original form since this new digital trend has major future pitfalls which i have mentioned: the easy and widespread corruption and distortion of gurbani which our enemies will no doubt be doing after they have done what they can on the physical side. Also the digital versions are completely dependent on electricity/internet/computers and who knows what will happen in the future.

This isn't an ethical argument about gurbani being digitalised but on what is likely to happen based on how our enemies operate. We are playing into their hands. 

That's why we need to find and secure all saroops of Gurbani where-ever they are. Even if the Saroops are kept gupt (and imo a certain amount should be for security reasons) it would be immensely important. I'll give you an example from Chandi di Vaar, there's 2 apps out there, during the part where it says "Indar jayhaa jodhaa maithou bhujiaa" one has maithou as being Meiou, which makes no sense. The app still hasn't been corrected and these differences are really detrimental to the panth as a whole, they breed confusion about a scripture many so called sikhs already do immense nindya of.

9 minutes ago, superdupersingh said:

What? It's true that it can be very easily altered, but any changes would be extremely easy to spot (unlike the physical form). Changes can be found within seconds.

12 minutes ago, superdupersingh said:

I think we should be collecting and preserving gurbani in the  original form

Huh? Nobody is changing Gurbani in the original form. People are not disposing of old recensions of Guru Granth Sahib, and replacing those with an iPad. Rather, Gurbani is just being made available on the Internet for those who want to access it that way.

20 minutes ago, superdupersingh said:

Also the digital versions are completely dependent on electricity/internet/computers and who knows what will happen in the future.

Totally agree, but nobody's saying to remove Guru Granth Sahib ji from the Gurdwaras.

I would say the vast majority of people who are accessing Gurbani on the Internet are not those would otherwise have pothis (2 volume sets) of Guru Granth Sahib at home, so basically this expanding the reach of Gurbani.

5 minutes ago, Kira said:

I'll give you an example from Chandi di Vaar, there's 2 apps out there, during the part where it says "Indar jayhaa jodhaa maithou bhujiaa" one has maithou as being Meiou, which makes no sense.

Well, you're right that the state of Dasam bani authenticity in apps/Internet is atrocious, but that's true even in printed Gutkas.

2 minutes ago, BhForce said:

Well, you're right that the state of Dasam bani authenticity in apps/Internet is atrocious, but that's true even in printed Gutkas.

I've noticed they seem to add bindis everywhere, not sure if the original manuscripts had all of them where they have been placed but the Gutka situation isn't unique only to Dasam Bani, its true for all bani. I've seen Sukhmani Sahib Gutkas where they've misprinted the 7th Astphadi due to Sadh and Sadhu being too similar or something.  

I don’t use Sikhi to the max. I downloaded the app, and it’s so confusing and not user friendly. If you want to search a shabad, it doesn’t bring up anything. 

• Thanks 1

26 minutes ago, Kira said:

I've seen Sukhmani Sahib Gutkas where they've misprinted the 7th Astphadi due to Sadh and Sadhu being too similar or something.  

Best to stick to SGPC gutkas. I'd not buy a gutka from a miscellaneous publisher who just throws together a gukta to sell it and make some money.

• Confused 1

Guest room
1 hour ago, BhForce said:

What? It's true that it can be very easily altered, but any changes would be extremely easy to spot (unlike the physical form). Changes can be found within seconds.

Huh? Nobody is changing Gurbani in the original form. People are not disposing of old recensions of Guru Granth Sahib, and replacing those with an iPad. Rather, Gurbani is just being made available on the Internet for those who want to access it that way.

What? Don't think you understood. 

1 hour ago, BhForce said:

Best to stick to SGPC gutkas. I'd not buy a gutka from a miscellaneous publisher who just throws together a gukta to sell it and make some money.

even they have some errors within them as well. The whole situation is rather bleak. 

Your content will need to be approved by a moderator

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoticons maximum are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Topics

• Monatosingh replied. The rope is strategic in many ways. Out in the wild and need to make weapons, you may need rope. Need to make a little makeshift roof, you need rope. Need to tie anything together for the purpose of surviving, you will always need rope.   Dori also saves the issue of gatra breaking, etc
    • Guru Nanak Dev Ji's Parkash is disputed between 3 Dates Friday, Katak Sudi 15 Pooranmashi, 1526 Bikrami (Lunar) Saturday, Vaisakh Sudi 3, 1526 Bikrami (Lunar) (Not Pooranmashi) Monday, 1 Vaisakh, 1526 Bikrami (Solar Date) (Pooranmashi) There is debate on this issue, I recommend reading the document mentioned in the OP. Also PLS, Benti for everyone, when referring to Gurpuabs, pls use Bikrami or Mool Nanakshahi (Which are basically Bikrami dates) dates, don't use English dates as they are not accurate as the original. We need more people to start using Desi Months and days, Barah Maha Parro!
    • Serious question though, how would one use a Dori Kirpan practically? Like how would it be used? I think thats why some people say its just for show because maybe you can't use it well? I wouldn't know.
    • Sometimes we use the phrase "Just do it" in the Dojo. Other times we say "Shut up and train".  Heh. 
    • Exactly. Oh, so it's not a made-up saakhi? Even if it were, it would be good. It sounds vaguely like the saakhi of Bhai Banno. I agree that it is unreasonable to demand discounts of shopkeepers because "it's for a religious purpose". They can't verify that. You're trading on your long beard to make the other guy think you're "religious". You're just setting it up for unscrupulous people with beards to come by and abuse it, which then gets found out, and then people lose faith in Sikhs and Sikhi. On the other hand, it would be OK for a gurdwara to put out the call for construction materials, legal services, accounting services, medical services (free medical camps). Then people can verify it's for a religious purpose because they're giving directly to the gurdwara. And then sawmill owners can drop off wood at the gurdwara, marble showroom owners can drop off marble, etc. Or people in fields not in demand can buy the stuff (possibly at cost) and have it delivered to the gurdwara.