What was the initial reason for humans being caught in the cycle of reincarnation

TejS

4 hours ago, TejS said:

Why is it that we have been placed in this cycle first of all? Was there a fall from grace similar to the Abrahamic religions? I'm curious to know if this is addressed within Sikhi?

Khalsa Ji,

There are numerous references in Gurbani, which tell us about falling under the influence of maya.

21st Astpadhi of SriSukhmani, also explains why the creator created the creation...

626A3803-BD9C-4594-A8A4-2FB24E3BBDD8.jpeg

Ang 1080...SGGS...

Thank you everyone for your answers. I can understand that our goal is to contemplate on escaping this cyclical bondage, however I can't help but know why in the first place?

I did some research, as well as taking into consideration everyone's wonderful answers, and what I found out is that there are conflicting views on reincarnation. The earliest Dharmic text, the Rgveda (written in the Greater Punjab) has no mention of reincarnation, and instead mentions afterlife as passing on to the elements after being "consumed by Agni". The concept of incarnation comes later during the Gangetic Vedic culture (Uttar Pradesh) where the Mahabharata mentions it in explicit detail. 

Based on a few Sanatani journals and answers I read, its mentioned that when the soul is attached to God, it still has freedom, and therefore is an extension of the Creator. However, at times, due to this freedom, some souls contemplate an independence from the Creator, which can only be possible in a material world. And therefore, they get trapped in this moment of contemplation for multiple reincarnations, until they can yank themselves back by meditation (naam jaap or tapas). Now this premise has a few flaws, as to the concept of independence of souls while being a part of God. If they are independent, how exactly are the souls then a part of God? Perhaps, the union with God allows for independence, who knows? Take it for what you will. 

I'm fascinated by the karmic debt theory. The idea that we have to pay off our karams to people  over the course of lifetimes, is an intriguing idea. I also wonder why our memories are wiped before each birth. Well, I kind of suspect it's done so that we can begin with a clean slate each time, so that we aren't unequivocally aware of any mistakes or paaps that we may have committed previously (which would then weigh on our conscience and seriously mess with our heads), but as I mentioned in another thread I believe any serious psychological hangups or problems that plague us in our current lifetime originate from previous experiences, so in that respect the memory wipe works on a basic level as long as we don't get serious about scratching the mental itch, as it were, but the underlying issues don't disappear just because we aren't consciously aware of the true reasons for why we are the way we are. Sometimes it seems to me as if we're almost toyed with. We're kind of on the back-foot from the very beginning. Is too much expected of us?