jkvlondon

Re-release of 'Nanak Shah Fakir' , chalked in for 13th April

Couple of points-

- SGPC approved this movie before, did through analysis provided recommendation which were followed  thoroughly has a approval from sgpc both old committee and new committee at current, signed by all scholars in SGPC

- If some people find it offended, don't watch it or ignore it but if you think by banning or doing protest, blocking hwy and other tactics is way to go, its counter-intuitive this will increase curiosity in people, its actually more advertisement of the movie,  remember - controversy sells!!

Just like if you strictly enforced everything is forbidden,  make things trivial or controversial for kids outlaws on kids, kids will revolt eventually in their life, will explore whatever is banned for sake of curiosity, rebel back whether watchin tv, fashion, cell phones. Look at the lives and scandals of amish life style, orthodox jews, church pastors

-Provide detailed analysis with strong rebuttal , why one shouldn't watch this movie and leave it up to the readers

- I do have a point i want to make. I watched movie- badla made on sant jarnail singh bhindranwale, there is a scene of sant jarnail singh bhindranwale coming on to maharaj darbar, they showed huge parkash aura on sant ji in maharaj darbar where aura parkash on sri guru granth sahib was virtually missing in contrast with sant ji parkash in same scene. Same people who endorsed badla movie have a problem with nanak shah fakir as well. 

This is good video from director of Nanak shah fakir, lots of great points, decide it for yourself:

badla.jpg.9f02bdb909898433879c9f480099010a.jpg

Edited by N30S1NGH

you forget Sikka CLAIMED he had full approval but he had a standard letter of well wishes issued by SGPC it was read by millions after the furore but it still did not mean what he claimed and no they had no input during filming ...mind you SGPC will do anything for a quick buck including :

Changing all manglacharan in Guru ji to one standard one , caught by DamDami scholars and false copies agan bhet

Printing and supplying Guru Granth Sahib so RSS could install in Hindu temples

Printing history books in hindi for RSS which called Guru Arjan Dev ji a tax cheat and Guru Teg Bahadur a jewel Thief and dismissing the shahadat of Chaar Sahibzahidey and Guru Pita ji as just desh bhagti. again caught and protested by a single sikh for some years before they stopped printing it
The fact that so many hope this film will deliver some element of parchaar is understandable but NO it does not it omits critical messages like Naam japo from the three aspects of a good life , the sidh gosht doesn't happen , neither the mecca incident , nor the haridwar water throwing ...it reduces Guru ji's respect as App Parmeshwar to just an ordinary human , frankly people of our faith have said to me quite a few times 'what's the big deal they were all human too so what if an actor/actress plays them?' 

As for SIkka on one hand he says I knew little about the life of Guru ji then says Guru Nanak Dev ji came to my dreams and told me to do this ...yeah sure mahapurakhs have said if anyone claims openly they have seen Guru Sahiban don't believe as the experience is so transformative they feel no need to say it , let alone misrepresent Guru ji's sikhi to the masses

do you think he had two cuts of the film  one to get approval initially and one which was for the cinemas which suit the diminishment of Guru Nanak Devji etc ? because it is too fishy that they  sat through the film and didn't notice the glaring omission of Naam Japna ...  Sikka sounds pushy because he is kind of adamant that it will be shown internationally . 
I noted that he did not correct mistranslation of gurbani in subtitles , guess 3 years is not enough to proofread and consult ?

Why is everyone in shock? This is completely predictable and to be expected by the enemies of the Khalsa. The best thing to do is to stay away from the propaganda machine, educate your children and sangat and do not watch these movies. Money is power to these people so if you boycott it and don't invest your time, money, mental energy into it, the movie will flop and  they will get the message. Otherwise this will only continue to get worse in the future. This is the best strategy and it will cause them great pain knowing that not only have their plans been ineffective, but they have also lost a huge amount of money in the process. 

• Like 1

On 3/6/2018 at 8:57 PM, jkvlondon said:

apparently it is being re-released but who has seen the rushes of the reworked film ? Who was in charge of input ? Who financed this movie really?

https://www.hindustantimes.com/regional-movies/nanak-shah-fakir-to-be-re-released-after-alterations-in-script/story-p703390M5cUD4TKXukZbQN.html

It's not clear what "script changes" he supposedly made, but the VFX he's talking about is merely putting a big white halo over the character of Guru Nanak ji, obscuring the face and body.

You're right that in order to have an informed opinion about this, we need to know who "Harinder Sikka" is, where he got his financing, who all is involved in the project.

The Sikh sangat rejected his film the first time, and theaters were basically empty. He should have learned his lesson the first time. No harm, no foul. But this guy is a dheeth (stubborn).

On 3/16/2018 at 7:20 PM, jkvlondon said:

The speaker states that the movie is essentially a lie because the actor playing Guru Nanak is not in fact Guru Nanak ji. Which is true. 

Then he also states that the actor speaking the words of Guru Nanak is also unacceptable.

I want to quibble with this a bit: When kathakaar says "And then Guru Nanak said such and such", he's also mouthing what he purports to be the actual words of Guru Sahib, which is also a "lie". 

And Suraj Prakash is also a lie, by the same standard. And when the kathakar mouths the words, he's basically speaking in the voice of Guru ji.

So, why is that OK, but it's not OK when accompanied by an animation of Guru Sahib?

Also, the vast majority of Sikhs don't have a problem with still-life paintings of Guru ji, so why an objection to animation?

I do agree with not having actors playing Guru Sahib.

Do note that I'm not saying we should have this movie, or these types of movies. Just asking questions. Also, I don't think that these types of movies should be made by random Sikhs. First, the whole panth should agree that it wants to make such a movie. If there is not agreement, then don't make it. If there is agreement, the SGPC should make the movie, and release it for free after it recoups its costs. 

The movie should not be a money-making vehicle for private entities.

• Haha 1

12 hours ago, jkvlondon said:

I was a bit skeptical when you said a review by a "gursikh", but I read a few articles on the site skeptical of Dhunda, Harjinder Dilgeer, and Nanakshahi calendar, so it seems OK. 

The article says the movie reduces Guru Sahib to the status of a mere man, and not God himself. Also, Guru Sahib speaks out in Gurbani against Ras Leelas and the like. There was always a tradition of sakhis, but never of actually playing out the role of the Guru like the HIndus do.

Also, anything remotely likely to offend Hindus or Muslims was self-censored, like Mecca turning, watering fields from Haridwar, refusing Hindu marriage ceremony. Also, he doesn't show the deer Guru Sahib boiled at Kurkshetra turning into rice pudding. Why not?

What is Sikka's agenda?

10 hours ago, jkvlondon said:

do you think he had two cuts of the film  one to get approval initially and one which was for the cinemas which suit the diminishment of Guru Nanak Devji etc ? because it is too fishy that they  sat through the film and didn't notice the glaring omission of Naam Japna ...  Sikka sounds pushy because he is kind of adamant that it will be shown internationally . 
I noted that he did not correct mistranslation of gurbani in subtitles , guess 3 years is not enough to proofread and consult ?

Possibly. 

By the way, is the 45-yr old looking man with a long black beard supposed to be Bhai Mardana ji? Thank God Sikka didn't depict Bhai Mardana with his mustache shaved off like Muslims like to do.  I don't think I could stomach that.

That, btw, is the problem with representations. When you just say "Bhai Mardana" the audience of a kathakaar can imagine him like they want. Once you fix an image as a representation, you necessarily have to come down on once side or another. Sabat surat or jihadi beard? Etc.

30 minutes ago, BhForce said:

Possibly. 

By the way, is the 45-yr old looking man with a long black beard supposed to be Bhai Mardana ji? Thank God Sikka didn't depict Bhai Mardana with his mustache shaved off like Muslims like to do.  I don't think I could stomach that.

That, btw, is the problem with representations. When you just say "Bhai Mardana" the audience of a kathakaar can imagine him like they want. Once you fix an image as a representation, you necessarily have to come down on once side or another. Sabat surat or jihadi beard? Etc.

Most likely Mardana, like Guru Nanak ji had an uncut beard, as did most Muslims/Commoners in the Delhi Sultanate. Guru Nanak ji are known to have worn a seli topi (woolen hat) which many saints wore back then. Mardana ji may have also worn a seli, or a makeshift turban. Mardana ji were a Marasi from backround and most likely was born poor. I don't think poor people back then could afford razors etc. Probably affluent Muslims had the commodity of using razors and styles for their beards and hair

1 hour ago, 5akaalsingh said:

Most likely Mardana, like Guru Nanak ji had an uncut beard, as did most Muslims/Commoners in the Delhi Sultanate. Guru Nanak ji are known to have worn a seli topi (woolen hat) which many saints wore back then. Mardana ji may have also worn a seli, or a makeshift turban. Mardana ji were a Marasi from backround and most likely was born poor. I don't think poor people back then could afford razors etc. Probably affluent Muslims had the commodity of using razors and styles for their beards and hair

Also when Bhai Mardana asked Guru ji how to become a sikh first hukham was to keep kesh intact , a fact most fools who claim they are sikhs of Guru Nanak Dev ji  not Guru Gobind Singh ji are unaware of . The film  seems to be pointless and misrepresents sikhi as just liberal airy fairy langar servers which there seems to be  a decided agenda to reduce us to...

Edited by jkvlondon
  • Like 2