Gurudwara committee

Guest Gurdwara staff

On 2/25/2018 at 6:04 PM, Guest Gurdwara staff said:

I own the land and built a gurdwara on it. The sangat choosing is the reason why the previous committee were all sacked. The sangat buy into the lies of the committee and then they don't do anything. They were just manmaati people so I sacked them all and now I need new staff.

How is the Gurdwara organized? Your own personal property, in your individual name? That would be strange. Then it really would be "your" Gurdwara.

Or is it a non-profit organization or charity? These are usually organized as boards. It's possible to specify that members of the organization will elect the board. Or there could be no elections, and the board will be perpetual (appointing people to vacancies as they arise).

In any case, there is no "owner" of a non-profit organization:

Ownership is the major difference between a for-profit business and a nonprofit organization. For-profit businesses can be privately ownedand can distribute earnings to employees or shareholders. But nonprofit organizations do not have private owners and they do not issue stock or pay dividends.

Given this, how could you have "sacked" the committee? Have you organized the Gurdwara as a for-profit stock corporation with you holding 100% of the stock, and consequently having the right to appoint board members? If so, how would you import gianis from India? You can only import (sponsor) gianis from India if you're doing so as a non-profit.

Also, do you own the land in your personal capacity? If so, does the Gurdwara entity pay rent to you?

1 hour ago, BhForce said:

How is the Gurdwara organized? Your own personal property, in your individual name? That would be strange. Then it really would be "your" Gurdwara.

Or is it a non-profit organization or charity? These are usually organized as boards. It's possible to specify that members of the organization will elect the board. Or there could be no elections, and the board will be perpetual (appointing people to vacancies as they arise).

In any case, there is no "owner" of a non-profit organization:

Ownership is the major difference between a for-profit business and a nonprofit organization. For-profit businesses can be privately ownedand can distribute earnings to employees or shareholders. But nonprofit organizations do not have private owners and they do not issue stock or pay dividends.

Given this, how could you have "sacked" the committee? Have you organized the Gurdwara as a for-profit stock corporation with you holding 100% of the stock, and consequently having the right to appoint board members? If so, how would you import gianis from India? You can only import (sponsor) gianis from India if you're doing so as a non-profit.

Also, do you own the land in your personal capacity? If so, does the Gurdwara entity pay rent to you?

I'm not sure this isn't a for profit entity lol. 

Guest Gurdwara staff

I own the land and then I build a gurdwara on top of that land. the money made from sangat is used on the upkeep of the gurdwara and langar and wages for the commitee etc. It's a gurdwara bro - the gurdwara is owned under a charity I have that I also do other charity work through. I work my day job and the money I make from that goes into this charity so I don't make anything out of this and all the money is either spent on feeding sangat, the gurdwara itself and other charity projects I'm running. 

BH force you're making this proper complicated. The gurdwara has been running for a long long time and not even HMRC has asked as many questions as you. Relax. guru is doing enough kirpa. I just need help with hiring new staff. I think there's some good ideas on here tho. If anyone has anymore let me know!

Guest Busia Anda

Either you own the Gurdwara or the Sangat does. Since you claim to own the Gurdwara then it's not a committee you're looking but instead you are looking for employees. To my understanding, committees are generally formed by people who have a stake or vested interest. This does not appear to be the case. So I suggest you change the terminology and just say you're looking for employees.

On 2/27/2018 at 12:30 AM, BhForce said:

I agree with you that we need to use puratan instruments in keertan (the ones that Guru Sahib themselves used). The harmonium is a <banned word filter activated> child of Europe, it's not a Gurmat instrument.

But please don't say raag sangeet is something different from harmonium. That's a bit misleading. You could use a puratan instrument to play a filmy tune. You can also use a harmonium to do raag kirtan. It doesn't sound as great as with a dilruba, but still.

I know, but as you mentioned with these kinds of tapping instruments raag sangeet doesn't sound quite right, and not as good.