Jump to content
Premi5

NHS urges parents to use pharmacies for children's illnesses

Recommended Posts

Any posters here who are pharmacists or work in healthcare? 

Surely the government is wrongly encouraging pharmacists to take responsibilities they are not trained nor insured for. A sign the NHS is sinking?

https://www.theguardian.com/society/2018/feb/12/nhs-urges-parents-to-use-pharmacies-for-childrens-illnesses

A health campaign is urging parents to treat their pharmacist as their first port of call for their children’s minor illnesses instead of visiting their GP or A&E.

NHS England said there were 18m GP appointments and 2.1m visits to A&E for self-treatable conditions every year, at a cost of £850m to the health service.

Millions of parents could get more convenient and timely expert advice by taking their concerns to their local pharmacist first, which would also ease pressure on GPs and emergency services, the campaign will say.

NHS England said research showed that only 6% of parents with children under the age of five would consider seeking help about a minor health concern from a high street pharmacist in the first instance.

This despite 79% of adults saying they were aware that pharmacists were qualified healthcare professionals who could give advice on most common illnesses.

NHS England says about 95% of people live within walking distance of a community pharmacy, meaning they are an accessible and valuable first port of call for minor health concerns such as coughs, colds and teething troubles.

The NHS is working with pharmacies to increase the range of patient services they provide, including asthma audits and flu vaccinations.

Figures released from a pilot study last week showed that more than 1,200 patients who called NHS 111 over the winter had been seen by pharmacists instead of GPs or being sent to A&E.

The six-month trial in the north-east of the country allows NHS 111 operators to refer appropriate non-emergency patients to community pharmacies during late-night, weekend and out-of-hours periods.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

frankly colds and flus are acute illnesses which have a lifespan of about a week which coincidently is the amount of meds coverage you get from the doc , so is it really the doc's meds or your own immune system that sorts you out?

since the early nineties no doc has handed out antibiotics routinely for such small infections as it is not necessary ... so most coughs and colds have been dealt with by cough linctus which is just simple sugar syrup with citric acid monohydrate added  and the occasional dose of paracetemol/ibuprofen .... both of which are not great as ibuprofen kills off gut bacteria weakening immune system and digestion  and paracetemol has issues with stomach and liver if overused.  Ideally we should let the fever run its course as it makes the body hostile to the virus , just monitoring temperature doesn't stay high for too long , can use warm water clothes to cool brows , and administering fluids and food as necessary.

If you make sure your kids get a wide variety of fruit and veg and supplement vit A, D  they will not succumb to illnesses so easily or stay ill for long . This government is determined to sellout the NHS to american corporations they are currently weakening it to prepare a case for doing that to the public , it is all very cynical . If Brexit goes through this will help the tories to trundle their  secret deals forward without the european court of human rights being able to interfere ...that is what the referendum was about ...selling out the Uk population to american and other corporations

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, jkvlondon said:

frankly colds and flus are acute illnesses which have a lifespan of about a week which coincidently is the amount of meds coverage you get from the doc , so is it really the doc's meds or your own immune system that sorts you out?

since the early nineties no doc has handed out antibiotics routinely for such small infections as it is not necessary ... so most coughs and colds have been dealt with by cough linctus which is just simple sugar syrup with citric acid monohydrate added  and the occasional dose of paracetemol/ibuprofen .... both of which are not great as ibuprofen kills off gut bacteria weakening immune system and digestion  and paracetemol has issues with stomach and liver if overused.  Ideally we should let the fever run its course as it makes the body hostile to the virus , just monitoring temperature doesn't stay high for too long , can use warm water clothes to cool brows , and administering fluids and food as necessary.

If you make sure your kids get a wide variety of fruit and veg and supplement vit A, D  they will not succumb to illnesses so easily or stay ill for long . This government is determined to sellout the NHS to american corporations they are currently weakening it to prepare a case for doing that to the public , it is all very cynical . If Brexit goes through this will help the tories to trundle their  secret deals forward without the european court of human rights being able to interfere ...that is what the referendum was about ...selling out the Uk population to american and other corporations

No vitamin c?

Flus/colds, also, thrive in an acidic environment (sugar) - water flushes out toxicity and helps neutralise the body.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, GuestSingh said:

No vitamin c?

Flus/colds, also, thrive in an acidic environment (sugar) - water flushes out toxicity and helps neutralise the body.

if kids are having loads of fresh fruit and veg they should get enough , but I would make sure they get zinc as that and b vitamins are used up faster in times of stress and when eating sugar

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, jkvlondon said:

This government is determined to sellout the NHS to american corporations they are currently weakening it to prepare a case for doing that to the public , it is all very cynical .

How could that be possible? Is the NHS not organized as 470 separate individual local trusts?How could the government sell NHS off even if it wanted to (which I see no evidence that it wants to--especially with a minority government)?

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
43 minutes ago, BhForce said:

How could that be possible? Is the NHS not organized as 470 separate individual local trusts?How could the government sell NHS off even if it wanted to (which I see no evidence that it wants to--especially with a minority government)?

may's husband is handling the sell off of property from the seperate entity built by Jeremy Hunt as a storage company within the NHS . There are currently secret deals being negotiated (check on 38degrees.org) with the Americans to privatise and give/sell them the NHS contracts (piecemeal conversion to private model) . They are also planning to enact the legal framework transplanted from TTIP TTTP type secret contracts to allow the corporations to sue countries govt i.e. the people for compensation if they don't win the contracts for whatever reason. Remember Richard branson already has taken a big chunk of cash out of the NHS .

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, jkvlondon said:

may's husband is handling the sell off of property from the seperate entity built by Jeremy Hunt as a storage company within the NHS . There are currently secret deals being negotiated (check on 38degrees.org) with the Americans to privatise and give/sell them the NHS contracts (piecemeal conversion to private model) .

38degrees.org ? 

The website is non-operational, and the domain is defunct.

Have any other references?

23 minutes ago, jkvlondon said:

TTIP TTTP

Donald Trump withdrew from the secret Trans Pacific Partnership treaty as the first thing he did. Have any information anything else coming?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, BhForce said:

38degrees.org ? 

The website is non-operational, and the domain is defunct.

Have any other references?

Donald Trump withdrew from the secret Trans Pacific Partnership treaty as the first thing he did. Have any information anything else coming?

those are being rekindled under different labels ... too much promise for corporations to let it go ... my bad I missed the dot uk

38degrees.org.uk

I get regular updates via email , today's campaign letter:

Dear X,

Health Secretary Jeremy Hunt is planning to restructure how our NHS works. His plans could allow private health companies to win huge contracts to provide care for up to ten years. [1]

Jeremy Hunt will be doing all he can to keep the plans out of the spotlight. Right now lots of patients - and even MPs! - don't know about them. [2] That means we can't be sure that they put patients first.

Together, we could launch a campaign tomorrow to try to put the brakes on these plans. But it’ll need to be big if we’re going to stop him in his tracks - one petition won’t be enough. We’ll need to come together in our hundreds of thousands to stand up to Jeremy Hunt and demand he goes back to the drawing board.

We make the best decisions when we all have our say. So X do you think we should launch a campaign to stop huge chunks of our NHS being handed to private companies?
 

YES

 

NO


The changes Jeremy Hunt plans to introduce are called 'Accountable Care Organisations', or ‘ACOs’. [3] Some people think the plans are a good idea and could lead to better care for patients. Services could work together more, and patients could get a smoother experience of the NHS. [4]

But as it stands, ACOs could also dramatically increase the amount of services provided by private companies. That means businesses that put profit over patients could be handed contracts lasting 10 years. [5]

If we want to stop private companies running more and more of our NHS, Jeremy Hunt is going to have to go back to the drawing board. To convince him, we’re going to have to use every trick up our sleeves.

 

Edited by jkvlondon

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites


NOTES:
[1] BBC News: NHS plans: Privatisation or progress?:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-42873285
British Medical Journal: Why we should be concerned about accountable care organisations in England’s NHS:
http://www.bmj.com/content/360/bmj.k343
BBC News: Stephen Hawking to take Hunt to court over NHS:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-42871081
[2] According to the The Independent, there is ‘little-known [of the] policy’:
The Independent: Senior Conservative MP urges Jeremy Hunt to put the brakes on backdoor NHS privatisation:
http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/jeremy-hunt-sarah-wollaston-nhs-privatisation-health-social-care-accountable-care-organisations-a8168571.html
[3] ACOs are organisations that would be in charge of delivering care to areas in England based on population. Here are some articles about them that tell you a bit more:
“[ACOs] are providers or groups of providers that collaborate to provide care for a defined population – this might include primary, community and acute care. ACOs are often funded via a multi-year contract that defines outcomes and other objectives to be delivered within an agreed budget.”
National Health Executive: A balancing act: commissioning in the new world of accountable care:
http://www.nationalhealthexecutive.com/Comment/a-balancing-act-commissioning-in-the-new-world-of-accountable-care/189097
[4] The Kings Fund: Making sense of accountable care:
https://www.kingsfund.org.uk/publications/making-sense-accountable-care?gclid=EAIaIQobChMImrfax6ej2QIVD4vICh2gvwhJEAAYAiAAEgINmvD_BwE
[5] See note [1]

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I like his videos as he explains in a relatable way how to look after yourself and your loved ones

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, jkvlondon said:

if kids are having loads of fresh fruit and veg they should get enough , but I would make sure they get zinc as that and b vitamins are used up faster in times of stress and when eating sugar

Totally true, although modern farming methods are impacting nutrition content in produce hard. 

Good call on the supplements. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now


  • Topics

  • Posts

    • Cookie parshad?! I am sold.
    • What a wonderful post, bro. I'm quite happy to see that you think this way. If you don't mind, could you answer: 1) Were you an atheist before? If not, did you used to think the same way your friend, and other people on the board, like @Kira did? 2) Does your friend speak Punjabi? Not limited to saying "enough" when getting langar. But really speak the language? If he did, perhaps he wouldn't be so confused as to what a "par nari" is. Also, can he read Punjabi? Or is he getting his "gian" from the English translations? And what tuks does he proffer to state that Gurbani condemns rape specifically? Understand that I'm not saying that Gurbani promotes or allows rape. I'm just interested in what he presents to say that Bani bans rape, specifically. The discussion on those tuks would also bring up interesting points which I believe would not be in accord with your friend's thought process. Also quite interesting that he managed to find a ban on polygamy, and not on fornication. What does he present to say that polygamy is banned? So he's saying that you can screw as many girls as you like, and discard them, but you can't enter into a socially binding contract (marriage) with them. That's his idea of "dharam". Agree with you. This is yet another case where the English "translations" are going to create major problems for us where some people are going to be come "lakeer de fakeer" based on erroneous translations. "par nari" does not mean "others' wives". It means "a woman not your wife". If not, Gurbani loses it real import: The atrocious English translation above says you become impure by perving on another's wife. Question: Do you not get impure by perving on your neighbor's unmarried daughter? Puratan Singhs understood the term to be "a woman not your wife". Consider rehitnama Bhai Nand Lal: OK, so according to your friend, you're supposed to call another's wife a "mother" or "daughter". But if she's unmarried, then sky's the limit? That renders the tuk basically meaningless. The Sikh dharam envisions an atmosphere of purity in regards to relations with women. Your friend's mode of thinking leads to constant sexual desire and tension towards unmarried women, which is exactly what Harvey Weinstein (and many others) were doing towards unmarried actresses in the whole MeToo thing.
    • I'm not quibbling over the import of the word "disassociate". What I'm saying is that your statement implied that if your husband (or wife) becomes an atheist you can divorce him.  And I said that that is specifically disallowed in Canon Law. On the other hand, if you were non-Christians in the first place, and you become a Christian, and your husband/wife divorces you, you have not violated anything if you remarry. But: If you were non-Christians in the first place, and you become a Christian, and your husband/wife does not divorce you, you cannot divorce him/her in Canon Law.
    • well bro what does disassociate mean to you ...I heard seperation of ways , but also I understood it to be a grey area since canon law still maintains that they are married despite the dharmic arth of the instruction..
    • hobson's choice , if you have a preselected array who have blessing from on high by centre there is NO choice only eyewash ....even Kejriwal showed his true colours when he didn't oppose the transfer of Jaggi to Tihar Jail
×