Moving to a Sikh neighbourhood

Big_Tera

10 hours ago, KhoonKaBadlaKhoon said:

Looking at the census, Sikhs are about 10% of the city. Surely there must be areas in these cities with 30-40% of the population being Sikh. Or is 50%+ considered a Sikh area? ?

Do these areas have any youth remotely similar to shere Punjab etc? Or is UK a lost cause basically? Even the 2011 riot footage, most of Southall vigilantes seemed like new immigrants or uncles lol, not many youth. 

I wouldn't say UK is a lost cause, there is a lot of Sikhi here and the Singhs are proactive in general in various forms. The issue we got here is the same as everywhere else, whether that's Punjab, Canada, Australia, usa etc and that is people going off the path of sikhi and doing the opposite of what sikhi teaches. the new age youth seem weak, a lot of younger girls with goreh while the lads don't seem anakhi. but I guess this been the same since the 70s but now with social media its more frequent to see. However saying this, there are still a lot of young amritdharis too and hopefully they can help take us forward. I remember growing up in the 90s, despite the SP and the Khalistanis being active, the majority were very anti singh types. Since then the tide has turned massively, a lot of these anti singh types ended up becoming singhs themselves lol. I know I sometimes come across as negative and frustrated, but I have got full faith in Guru Ji and our kaum will always be in chardi kala. From the days of 100s of singhs having their heads cut off, from bibiyah having their babies cut limb by limb to the days of beantah paapi when our nau jawan were hunted like dogs... we have, will and will always be in chardi kala such is the power of Kalgidhar Pitha's Sikhi!!!!

6 hours ago, sikhni777 said:

The general trend is people get up in the morning and go to work except the suleh who roam the shops like crazy looking to spend their ill gotten benefits money.

They consume the highest amount of crisps, biscuits and junk food.  Top it up with halal meat. Kids have the worst eating habits.  Wonder how they manage to grow and reproduce too on junk.

Anyway long story short,  our people are not very visible in any neighbourhood.  I got to know most of our neighbours by meeting them at weddings which were far off from our area if residence.

There is no friendly meet and greet. You meet by chance either through introduction by other relatives or through the school run.

Getting involved in some sort of community work greatly increases chances of meeting your type of people. You might live ib a dense sikh populated area and still feel sikh-starved. 

That is a good point. I remember driving around green street at midday. With a white work colleague. He remarked how there were so many people on the high street at this time of day and if any of these people had jobs. 

Muslims are known as benefit scroungers with many doing illegal activities such as fraud and cab driving to increase their income. Is it any wonder muslims have a higj prison population. 

The sad thing is young girls are attracted to bad boy criminal types as they love the danger and living on the edge. Then they end up living in some squalid flat, become muslims and outcasts. 

19 hours ago, Big_Tera said:

Whats wrong with family comming over for some chai and quick gossip? Wheres your hospitality? Guests/ family should always feel welcome to come round. 

Are you the sort that would turn away guests?

You will move to another area just to avoid people comming to your house?

I remeber when I went to the pindh. I was offered tea and a place to stay for free. Yet you cant even let someone come over for 10 minutes. 

I think it's good to have a guest to pop in for a short time, and catch up, especially with close family.

But then there's the infamous friends/relatives that go around everyone's house for a free tea or roti and stay for many hours probably doing nindya of everyone else they visit, spreading gossip and disrupting their day. Everyone knows about these aunties, I think these aunties should go to the gurdwara more often then going around everyone's houses.

In the pend we can go say satriakal and fateh to all the relatives house, maybe spend 10 minutes to an hour, no problem. But these aunties are something else.

I don't mind living in a desi area, I am between Slough and Southall at the moment. I want to move back to being more near to one. I missed a lot of how brit-asians behave as I grew up my teens in a gora area. I don't miss the drunkeness. I still don't understand how sikhs in desi rich areas, who have access to local gurdwaras, can't read gurmukhi or speak punjabi properly, and have such difficulty keeping kesh even before reaching their teens.

20 hours ago, Punjabiwolves said:

that might be the case in the old days  but todays Sikh/Punjabi want the finest things in life and there gardens are no exceptions, they are well  maintained. 

I think the next step for us Punjabi's would be to invest /buy into  the UK farmland. farming/ agriculture is in our blood. 

Let's hope so.

My observation is that inside, our houses are immaculate with all the mod cons etc but the outside is urghh. 

With the old goreh, their gardens are immaculate but their houses are stuck in the 1950s with old fashioned furnishings and decorations with no central heating. 

Quite the contrast. 

On 16/02/2018 at 4:10 AM, Ranjeet01 said:

10% seems to be the golden number for the proportion of Sikhs living in towns and cities. 

It never really seems to be larger than that.

Sikhs have a natural propensity to not over ghettoise themselves.

You won't find our people in the UK to live in areas where there is 40-50 percent Sikhs for various reasons:

1. We don't have a siege mentality like muslims.

2. We don't have an us v them attitude like muslims.

3. We instinctively understand that it is better to integrate than to segregate. 

4.Anywhere there is a large community of Sikhs attracts muslims like bees to honey and the area goes downhill very quickly.

5.Any large proportion of Sikhs means that our people start to get very greedy buying up houses to put on rent. Lodgers mean that there are less owner occupiers which means the neighbourhood goes downhill very quickly with the riff raff. 

6. Any nice green areas we move into get scorched and become the drab concreted, crazy paved uneven driveways with weeds growing out of it.

In other words, any area where our people move into eventually become complete dumps.

I dont think so. What attracts muslims is mosques, halal butchers and other muslims. I agree mulims see the world plainly. You are either with them or against them. Hence why they only mix amongst each other. 

This is why some areas are virtually 100% muslim. They love to be amongst their own. 

Us Sikhs cant stand one another and love to be amonst white people instead. Where we can induldge in golf, tea and a day at ascot race course. 

We are just a coconutised bunch. 

3 minutes ago, Big_Tera said:

I dont think so. What attracts muslims is mosques, halal butchers and other muslims. I agree mulims see the world plainly. You are either with them or against them. Hence why they only mix amongst each other. 

This is why some areas are virtually 100% muslim. They love to be amongst their own. 

Us Sikhs cant stand one another and love to be amonst white people instead. Where we can induldge in golf, tea and a day at ascot race course. 

We are just a coconutised bunch. 

We are a canary in the coalmine community. 

I agree in part of what you say. But there are particular mechanics of how muslim communities move into areas where there are Sikhs. 

There is always a section of the muslim community that looks to what Sikhs are doing. They will notice where the Sikhs are moving to.

They seem themselves as better off than other muslims but they do not want to live amongst other muslims, because they are very aware that "Pa*** f*** things up". 

They do not say these things in front of other muslims but will privately admit these things. 

They will move into areas where there are Sikhs but what follows after is a deluge.

An example I can provide is that Sikhs in Slough are moving into South Bucks, places such as Farnham Common, Farnham Royal, Iver, Stoke Poges, Gerrards Cross. 

These areas are now to Sikhs as to what Langley in Slough used to be for Sikhs 25-30 years ago.

When I look at Langley now, it has turned into a complete dump. It used to be a more affluent area. There are a parade of shops on London Road (where there is a Fire Station), these shops have been replaced by a grocery shop with all fallen fruit and veg (it's a complete mess), there is a very popular Punjabi restaurant and right next to it is a halal kebab shop.

It's like muslims sniff out where the Sikhs are and then try to stamp their halal mark.  Very parasite like behaviour.

I suspect these greener affluent areas around Slough to become the same given 10-15 years from now. 

There are a parade of shops in Farnham Common. It's quite nice, it's got a couple of pubs, a Tesco and Sainsbury shop, a Costa Coffee place and a couple of restaurants. 

I despair what that area is going to become like. Once some i****t decides to open up a grocery shop, just watch how with the pin point accuracy , some Pakistani guy decides to open up a halal based business and watch how the goreh move out and the area go seriously downhill.

UK Sikhs will prefer goreh because the instinctively know it is the goreh that are the glue the hold things together, once they are not there things begin to unravel.

I know that I am saying some unsavoury things but I have had to look at the hard truth. 

We are not good at maintaining standards.

We turn into the 3rd world animals that we are when we are in a large numbers. 

I am also a 3rd world animal.

These are just my opinions and things I have had to reconcile in my head.

• 1 month later...
On 17/02/2018 at 11:57 AM, Ranjeet01 said:

We are a canary in the coalmine community. 

I agree in part of what you say. But there are particular mechanics of how muslim communities move into areas where there are Sikhs. 

There is always a section of the muslim community that looks to what Sikhs are doing. They will notice where the Sikhs are moving to.

They seem themselves as better off than other muslims but they do not want to live amongst other muslims, because they are very aware that "Pa*** f*** things up". 

They do not say these things in front of other muslims but will privately admit these things. 

They will move into areas where there are Sikhs but what follows after is a deluge.

An example I can provide is that Sikhs in Slough are moving into South Bucks, places such as Farnham Common, Farnham Royal, Iver, Stoke Poges, Gerrards Cross. 

These areas are now to Sikhs as to what Langley in Slough used to be for Sikhs 25-30 years ago.

When I look at Langley now, it has turned into a complete dump. It used to be a more affluent area. There are a parade of shops on London Road (where there is a Fire Station), these shops have been replaced by a grocery shop with all fallen fruit and veg (it's a complete mess), there is a very popular Punjabi restaurant and right next to it is a halal kebab shop.

It's like muslims sniff out where the Sikhs are and then try to stamp their halal mark.  Very parasite like behaviour.

I suspect these greener affluent areas around Slough to become the same given 10-15 years from now. 

There are a parade of shops in Farnham Common. It's quite nice, it's got a couple of pubs, a Tesco and Sainsbury shop, a Costa Coffee place and a couple of restaurants. 

I despair what that area is going to become like. Once some i****t decides to open up a grocery shop, just watch how with the pin point accuracy , some Pakistani guy decides to open up a halal based business and watch how the goreh move out and the area go seriously downhill.

UK Sikhs will prefer goreh because the instinctively know it is the goreh that are the glue the hold things together, once they are not there things begin to unravel.

I know that I am saying some unsavoury things but I have had to look at the hard truth. 

We are not good at maintaining standards.

We turn into the 3rd world animals that we are when we are in a large numbers. 

I am also a 3rd world animal.

These are just my opinions and things I have had to reconcile in my head.

You're right, I'm also from the Langley area but it is still a good area especially the areas where apne are the majority like Upton, Langley Road. Trelawney Avenue has always been a dump.

The grocery shop that you talk about isn't that bad to be honest. The worst thing apne and all Asians do is the endless gaudy extensions with the pillars and light brown doors, ripping out the grass in the front garden and putting concrete there. It ruins the look of the area.

From what I have seen apne will move to an area where gorai are the majority (as more apne arrive the gorai move out), then the pakistanis come and finally the Polish. We are just economically better off than the pakistanis and when they do better themselves and want to move to a nice area then Apne are already the majority in that area.

Slough isn't that bad tbh lol, Slough has a strong Sikh presence. But yeah a lot of Sikh families have moved out and live in the areas surrounding slough like stoke poges etc. As a kid i went to a primary school in Stoke poges and the area was basically all goreh, now the whole area is full of Sikhs and many Pakistanis too. I live in Upton Lea very close to Singh Sabha Gurdwara, which is not exactly the best of areas in Slough lol. Most people in this area are either Pakistanis or Apne (mainly kache) living in rented houses. Most of the kids that go to Khalsa Primary are from areas around Singh Sabha gurdwara like Upton lea/ wexham. If it wasn't for the Young punjabi families from India or the kache/fojis then this area would of been mainly Pakistani. 

Having experience of Wolverhampton I would not recommend moving there. There isn't much to do, its a boring, dull place, with high unemployment and benefits. They also fluoridate the water which has made people a bit docile and mentally ill. Even if you don't drink the water, you are still absorbing it when you take baths/showers. My preference is to move to a non-fluoridated area, with greenery, no overhead aircraft, not near any mobile phone towers and within a short driving distance to a gurdwara. I think the south like surburbs around West London are better than up North e.g. Midlands. As the sangat, daily gurdwara schedule in Southall is the best in the UK. Although West Midlands have lots of simran programmes it doesn't compare to Southall unfortunately. There is a completely different vibe esp at Amrit Vela where the gurdwaras in Southall are packed out. There is nothing like it.