Karah Parshad the proper ingredients used in puratan times

Guest mandy

What are the actual ingredients of karah parshad that Guru Nanak Dev Ji provided for the Sidhs and what was traditionally used in puratan times????????

Please be specific because I know the obvious answer but am looking for someone with historical knowledge to answer (with references if possible).

I'm specifically interested to know the type of sugar used, since i know it would not have been the toxic, white granulated sugar the British introduced in India in the early 1900s nor  blocks of butter from Tesco. 

Please tell me if the type of sugar used then is available today and where it can be bought.

I'd like us to know the genuine ingredients and methodology rather than doing the best we can with whatever ingredients may be convenient to us and labelling it as genuine karah parshad.

Why isn't there anyone or any gurdwara keeping the traditions alive. I feel we have neglected our traditions and are following others which is unacceptable.

I feel betrayed and let down. I'm sure other have had the same revelation as me and sought remedy. So please share your knowledge. 

Thanks for the answer.

Now the question arises where can we buy this khand from. What specifically was it? Since as far as i can see there are lots of imitations and processed man made sugars readily available in the West.

I've looked but cannot find desi khand in any Asian shop, they only sell gur/shakkar which is better than white sugar and but it's not what is required.

I would like to get some and all sikh households/gurdwaras should be using the traditional khand and ghee. Unfortunately this isn't currently the case.

If anyone has used traditional desi khand before can they share where they got it from and what looks like (is it brown?).

Also, in interpreting the references to flour, do you know what kind is being referred to? Is it wheat flour?

Thanks!

5 hours ago, Guest mandy said:

Thanks for the answer.

Now the question arises where can we buy this khand from. What specifically was it? Since as far as i can see there are lots of imitations and processed man made sugars readily available in the West.

I've looked but cannot find desi khand in any Asian shop, they only sell gur/shakkar which is better than white sugar and but it's not what is required.

I would like to get some and all sikh households/gurdwaras should be using the traditional khand and ghee. Unfortunately this isn't currently the case.

If anyone has used traditional desi khand before can they share where they got it from and what looks like (is it brown?).

Also, in interpreting the references to flour, do you know what kind is being referred to? Is it wheat flour?

Thanks!

In india we used to use khabd that was cube squared abt 1 mm in size. We didnt use granulated sugar  also as gurr n shakar come from sugarcanes or ganne then khand must be the next step. So get shakar n try to find out how to turn it into khand. 

Also most definitely shakar is different from khand as both are mentioned by bhagat kabir ji in the same pangti. 

About butter. You can make ur own from milk. Theres lots of youtube videos on it.

But the indian way is. First turn milk into daahi/ yogurt. Then churn into makhni or whipped cream. Then heat that to get ghee. Also google this. Ayurveduc ppl have lots og videos. Very healthy. Has lots if vitamin K as it had pribiotic yogurt in which bacteria make vitamin k.

20 hours ago, GurjantGnostic said:

@BhForce

Bringing it with the quoted Gurmukhi wisdom as per usual. 

I do what I can bro.

ਮੈ ਗੁਰਬਾਣੀ ਆਧਾਰੁ ਹੈ ਗੁਰਬਾਣੀ ਲਾਗਿ ਰਹਾਉ ॥੮॥

Mai Gurabaanee Aadhhaar Hai Gurabaanee Laag Rehaao ||8||

Guru's Bani is my support, I keep attached to Gurbani.

ਸੂਹੀ (ਮਃ ੪) ਅਸਟ. (੨) ੮:੨ - ਗੁਰੂ ਗ੍ਰੰਥ ਸਾਹਿਬ : ਅੰਗ ੭੫੯ ਪੰ. ੪ 

Raag Suhi Guru Ram Das

13 hours ago, Not2Cool2Argue said:

But the indian way is. First turn milk into daahi/ yogurt. Then churn into makhni or whipped cream. Then heat that to get ghee.

You can skip a step there. You don't need to turn milk into yogurt. You can just take the cream off the top (note: the milk must be full fat, non-homogenized for this to work). Then churn the cream to turn to butter. Then heat the butter to turn into ghee.

20 hours ago, Not2Cool2Argue said:

In india we used to use khabd that was cube squared abt 1 mm in size. We didnt use granulated sugar  also as gurr n shakar come from sugarcanes or ganne then khand must be the next step. So get shakar n try to find out how to turn it into khand. 

Also most definitely shakar is different from khand as both are mentioned by bhagat kabir ji in the same pangti. 

About butter. You can make ur own from milk. Theres lots of youtube videos on it.

But the indian way is. First turn milk into daahi/ yogurt. Then churn into makhni or whipped cream. Then heat that to get ghee. Also google this. Ayurveduc ppl have lots og videos. Very healthy. Has lots if vitamin K as it had pribiotic yogurt in which bacteria make vitamin k.

Thanks for the information.

Is desi khand readily available in Punjab? If you know anywhere trustworthy that sells it please let me know. Even the place you used to get it from. I want to avoid granulated sugar and make it the proper way using the right ingredients.

http://www.swadeshaj.com/sugar-and-substitutes/394/desi-khand.html

https://m.ebay.in/itm/Premium-Quality-Khandsari-Sugar-400-GM-Desi-Khand-/252477697227

There are how to videos on youtube, but they didn't seem truly informative. 

I'm sure it's sold in punjab, one of the sangat will know I'm sure. 

I'm guessing the flour is unbleached wheat flour but someone would have to verify that.