Anand Karaj

Guest Sachsendamm main

Guest Sachsendamm main

Anand Karajs are turning into a ritual. The best way to counter this is make that people which havent taken amrit must take amrit before they are allowed to do anand karaj. And they must know all of the banis off by heart and they also must know shabad hazare both Guru Arjan Dev Ji, and Guru Gobind Singh ji's one. In this way the panj pyare know they have accualty tried to remember the banis. In this way we will know that they are not doing anand karaj for the sake of it, they must also prove they have not cut hair, they must show they have a jooda and have hair on there legs or arms. Then after anand karaj the people doing kirta will tell everyone what the bani is saying and what a married couple must do.

12 hours ago, Guest Sachsendamm main said:

Anand Karajs are turning into a ritual. The best way to counter this is make that people which havent taken amrit must take amrit before they are allowed to do anand karaj. And they must know all of the banis off by heart and they also must know shabad hazare both Guru Arjan Dev Ji, and Guru Gobind Singh ji's one. In this way the panj pyare know they have accualty tried to remember the banis. In this way we will know that they are not doing anand karaj for the sake of it, they must also prove they have not cut hair, they must show they have a jooda and have hair on there legs or arms. Then after anand karaj the people doing kirta will tell everyone what the bani is saying and what a married couple must do.

It's true.  If you love the Guru and want his blessing, you would remember his Bani. You would want to remember his praise even more.  As a husband or wife remember the qualities and words of their spouse.  Why can't Sikhs remember his Bani because their is no desire to feel, hear, and see the Guru. How come many people can remember manmat music after a simple listen because they are deeply attached to maya.  

Guest notfair
7 hours ago, Akalifauj said:

It's true.  If you love the Guru and want his blessing, you would remember his Bani. You would want to remember his praise even more.  As a husband or wife remember the qualities and words of their spouse.  Why can't Sikhs remember his Bani because their is no desire to feel, hear, and see the Guru. How come many people can remember manmat music after a simple listen because they are deeply attached to maya.  

I have been trying to memorize bani for 2 years and still get unstuck, poor memory runs in my family (probably why I did so bad in exams.....blame the genes). don't paint everyone with the same brush.

12 hours ago, MrDoaba said:

Your post is ridiculous. Making them take Amrit just for the sake of marriage is pointless as is making them learn the Baniya.

I am not necessarily agreeing with the original poster's proposition, but it should be mentioned that the Hazuri Sikhs don't agree with you. There, you have to have taken Amrit in order to have an Anand Karaj.

As for banis, I agree that merely parroting the words is not good, but it would seem quite odd for a Sikh not know at least Japji.

3 hours ago, Guest notfair said:

I have been trying to memorize bani for 2 years and still get unstuck, poor memory runs in my family (probably why I did so bad in exams.....blame the genes). don't paint everyone with the same brush.

The thing is you are trying to remember and give it genuine attempts.  The people I am referring to do not even think to remember Gurbani.  There is a huge difference between you and the people I was addressing.

You can increase your memory by taking it slow.  Remember one pauri of japji sahib every couple of days.  It helps if you can write out the pauri off by memory.  Write it many times until you know it.  Then move forward to the next pauri.  It also helps to know what each pauri is saying.  You can make sense of it and your mind will find it easier to find the correct word in each tuk. Do ardas that Guru Sahib will bless you with the ability to remember Gurbani.  

10 hours ago, BhForce said:

I am not necessarily agreeing with the original poster's proposition, but it should be mentioned that the Hazuri Sikhs don't agree with you. There, you have to have taken Amrit in order to have an Anand Karaj.

As for banis, I agree that merely parroting the words is not good, but it would seem quite odd for a Sikh not know at least Japji.

When the day comes that Hazoori Sikhs are the ones who rule, I will in all honesty consider this. While I don't have a problem with making people take Amrit before marriage, point is in many cases it will be only for the sake of marriage. Which is pointless. Maybe a system like Naamdharis would be better? Technically they do give Amrit to the couple.

Yeah ok Japji Sahib but OP is asking for something bordering on Das Granthi. And off by heart, it's not easy for everyone.

Guest Indira Gandhi
On 28/01/2018 at 6:16 AM, Guest Sachsendamm main said:

Anand Karajs are turning into a ritual.

best way to counter this is make people who havent taken amrit take amrit before they are allowed to do anand karaj.

they must also prove they have not cut hair, they must show they have a jooda and have hair on there legs or arms. 

Brilliant thinking. By driving away 95% of Sikhs from Anand Karaj we should be able to decrease the Sikh population.

Hopefully Mandirs and Dera's can take up the slack and all booking fees. Hopefully this will kill Sikhs off.

And all the children of parents who are banned from Anand Karaj will have no future connection to Sikhi.

This scheme isn't really realistic. After decades of laxity you cannot suddenly expect everyone to conform. The way forward should be to allow Anand Karaj for now for those who are of a Sikh background and have not adopted any other religion. The Anand Karaj course is a good step and all couples having an Anand Karaj should be made to take this course. For making Amrit manditatory for Anand Karaj we should concentrate on the next generation- the kids who are now in their early years and make sure that there is strong parchar among them and create a strong Sangat for them. In time taking Amrit before Anand Karaj will become the norm for these kids and for the generations following them.