Amritsar Gurdwara

Big_Tera

Why is the Amritsar gurdwara the most holy shrine in Sikhism? From my understanding the Gurdwara itself is quite newly built. As it was repeatedly attacked several times and had to be rebuilt over again many times. hence the original Gurdwara that was first built would have looked completley different to what it is now. When it was most recenctly built by Ranjit Singh. 

Are other Gurwaras not more important or historical in terms of history.

Also having visted the Amritsar recently. I was saddened to see shops selling hindu god pictures along with the Gurus pictures.This was just outside the Gurdwara complex. 

On side note I personaly dont see the point with having all these pictures of gurus. God is not contained in any picture or murti. 

On 1/28/2018 at 3:06 AM, S1ngh said:

Amritsar is indeed our holy city. There are so many gurdwaras nearby with concentrated history of our gurus. 

Well said, the whole Amritsar/Taran Taran/Gurdaspur area is filled with historic shrines, so asked a question about 'Amritsar Gurdwara' is very uneducated...similar to asking a question about 'The London Gurdwara' LOL

16 hours ago, Prokharkoo84 said:

Well said, the whole Amritsar/Taran Taran/Gurdaspur area is filled with historic shrines, so asked a question about 'Amritsar Gurdwara' is very uneducated...similar to asking a question about 'The London Gurdwara' LOL

I think he purposely called it that, wanting it to bring it down to the level of an "ordinary" gurdwara. 

9 hours ago, Dsinghdp said:

This is the Sikh belt in Punjab.

The countryside in malwa is also heavily populated by Sikhs. It's Doab where Sikh are a minority.