House of Saud - Documentary

InderjitS

Obviously this is not Sikhi related but the 3 part doc provides a fascinating insight in to the affair of this secretive regime and the gargantuan levels of corruption involved between the Royal Family and the West. I still need to see part 3, part 2 was an excellent watch!

https://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b09m53py/house-of-saud-a-family-at-war-series-1-episode-1

• 3 weeks later...
On 25/01/2018 at 8:05 PM, InderjitS said:

Obviously this is not Sikhi related but the 3 part doc provides a fascinating insight in to the affair of this secretive regime and the gargantuan levels of corruption involved between the Royal Family and the West. I still need to see part 3, part 2 was an excellent watch!

https://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b09m53py/house-of-saud-a-family-at-war-series-1-episode-1

What did you learn from it? 

On 1/26/2018 at 1:35 AM, InderjitS said:

Brother, you've got to provide a summary of it, as opposed to expecting us to wade through hours of footage to be able to respond to your post.

On the topic of corruption, it is commonly assumed by our people that Sikhs/Punjabis/Indians are corrupt, and that the English are not. Maybe, maybe not, but some people say that the English, while they were in India, were corrupt. So I wonder whether this documentary may help to expose the roots of the current-day corruption in India, rooted in the colonial administration.

22 minutes ago, InderjitS said:

I've provided a brief precis, if you're interested watch it but your tone and I might be wrong sounds condescending.

22 minutes ago, InderjitS said:

I've provided a brief precis, if you're interested watch it but your tone and I might be wrong sounds condescendin

You are wrong. Just want to know what you learnt. I was thinking of watching it but seemed too long 

9 minutes ago, BhForce said:

Brother, you've got to provide a summary of it, as opposed to expecting us to wade through hours of footage to be able to respond to your post.

On the topic of corruption, it is commonly assumed by our people that Sikhs/Punjabis/Indians are corrupt, and that the English are not. Maybe, maybe not, but some people say that the English, while they were in India, were corrupt. So I wonder whether this documentary may help to expose the roots of the current-day corruption in India, rooted in the colonial administration.

Think Guru ji highlighted the levels of corruption at the advent of Babur's invasion , and even the Khuravs cheated the pandav  so it is ancient habit ...of people

9 minutes ago, BhForce said:

I will when I have more time. What I'm keen in knowing is why this post has all of a sudden sparked an interest 3 weeks down the line..

Episode 2 for me was an eye opener. It exposed Saudi corruption on a scale I had not heard of before. It must be the most corrupt country in the world. A deal struck with the a dutch firm, Ballast Nedam, saw over half of the $500 million contract going in kick-backs, an incredible $330 million going to one prince.

This was eclipsed in comparison by an arms deal with Britain, worth £43 billion of which at least £6 billion was paid in bribes to Saudi royals. A UK project manager noticed anomalies in the budget and when fobbed off by the Saudis, downloaded as much data as he could get his hands on and handed over to the press. An investigation into this was closed down by their good friend Tony Blair on the spurious grounds of “national security” and Saudi threat to withdraw contracts and not share terrorism data. The last bit is ironic as they fund more terrorism activities than any other country. 

From these deals we learn how Governments always put #1 first. Call it bribery through gold deposits, arms deals or whatever, India has long been muzzling the UK to silence it on it's human rights record.

The message coming from successive governments has always been loud and clear – there is no room for critical voices in or outside India. It relentlessly pursues its agenda to stifle those who disagree with them or who challenge government policy, with increasing restrictions imposed by previous governments.

What better way to silence it's critics and continue with its oppressive regime than through similar tactics employed by Saudis by threatening to withdraw bilateral aid and lucrative defence contracts.