Problem with my Guru Ghar's Committee right now

Guest Gupti

Guest Jagsaw_Singh

That was the Liberty but they only showed Indian films from '72.

Which means The Century must be the one that went on to become that Jamaican nightclub, the Tudor Rose:

large.JPG?1374364130

Let's go on a magical photo journey :) 

The white martyr from New Zealand, who gave his life for us on the streets of Southall at the hands of the brutal police. His coffin laid at the foyer of The Dominion cinema and it was reported that "8000 Sikhs of Southall attended his funeral". Here's his coffin being taken out of the cinema:

_84660190_peachblairfuneral_cut.jpg

Blair Peach's body as it was taken through Southall:

peach.jpg

After Gurdip Singh Chaggar was stabbed to death by racists from the National Front right opposite The Dominion our community was angry.....very angry. The police were going to pay for their indifference:

00106884.jpg

Southall, in 1976, telling the world that every racist murder will be avenged by the people of Southall:

chagger-009.jpg

Our uncles and aunties fighting with the police during the 1979 riots against the NF:

3443150064_d18ede5b2a_z.jpg

1981: The skinhead pub in Southall our boys burn't to the ground after fighting all night battles with the police:

Southall-Riots-001.jpg

When we were strong....was when we all stuck together and fought together:

149389Race-protest.jpg

Blair_funeral.jpg

But let's end the photo essay how we started...in homage to Southall's first martyr: Gurdip Singh Chaggar:

00057019.jpg

Guest Jagsaw_Singh
On 2/9/2018 at 2:00 PM, InderjitS said:

Thanks for sharing, recognise at least one auntie in that pic, was a regular at Havelock..

It's the story of Southall Inderjit and while for most of the UK Sikhs Southall has simply always been a place to do some shopping for us old skool Southall families it was always about being in the frontline of agitation, fighting, arguing and revolution. Agitation is part of our DNA.

A couple of years ago I had an argument...well, not an argument as such but an adult discussion with a well known 'sant' from Punjab on one his tours of England. He said...as parcharaks always do.....that "arguing is pointless". I pointed out to him that everything we have today has come from arguing and fighting. In Utopia, sure....arguing is for fools....but this is the real world.  Our first Race Relations Act only came about because of the fighting....our equal pay only came about by fighting for it.........our right to be here and not be 'repatriated' only came about because our mums and dads fought running street battles with the police. The popular facist movement in the UK (skinheads) only died a sudden death here and went abroad after our youths fought them and the police all night and petrol bombed them out of existence. Radical, left wing agitation is part of the psyche of the old skool Southall people. It's part of who we are.  When brown and blacks in the UK were fed up with the direction the Labour Party wsa going and formed the later banned 'Black Section' of the party it was Southall they chose to launch it because Southall was considered the hotbed of agitation for rights. If you read old news articles from the late 70's early 70's they talk about what they refer to as the 'black panthers' of Britain : the Southall Youth Movement. In those articles they state that police in central London are becoming increasingly concerned because youths from Southall (Sikhs) are travelling to the west end each day (around Picadilly Circus and Leicester Square) just to 'bash up' (mash up) white people. When Southall said racist murders would be avenged these wern't just words. Fighting and violence is part of the DNA of old skool Southall. For revenge, they would travel to the centre of the world (picadilly circus) and beat up random white people. We've been arguing, agitating and fighting...on everybody's behalf, for 60 years. It's a fundamental part of who I am.

1976:

00106886.jpg

1976:

00057057.jpg

1979:

article-0-00F63D3B00000191-510_468x310.j

1979:

apr-04-1979-one-dies-and-many-injured-in

1981:

southall-riots-G8H3YG.jpg

1979:

DSCF7038.jpg

1976:

6038879011_7b973fd216_o_0.jpg?itok=l47la

southall.jpg

race_riots_news.jpg

southall-riots-G8H3YK.jpg

Agitation...Agitation...Agitation; it's part of our DNA in Southall

SYMphotoweb.jpg?resize=560,416

Southall shows solidarity with the brave Gujaratis at Grunwick:

grunwick.jpg?w=500

1970's: Southall's message to Enoch Powell:

southall.jpg

article-0-00F63D3200000191-353_468x307.j

Southall Sikhs bring the road to a standstill after another of our youths was killed:

southall-youth-picket2-2.jpg

1976:

aym_003b.jpg

Anyday and everyday 1970's Southall:

3745.jpg

Southall Black Sisters :

SBS-24.jpg

Sharia-wills.png

55 minutes ago, Guest Jagsaw_Singh said:

It's the story of Southall Inderjit and while for most of the UK Sikhs Southall has simply always been a place to do some shopping for us old skool Southall families it was always about being in the frontline of agitation, fighting, arguing and revolution. Agitation is part of our DNA.

A couple of years ago I had an argument...well, not an argument as such but an adult discussion with a well known 'sant' from Punjab on one his tours of England. He said...as parcharaks always do.....that "arguing is pointless". I pointed out to him that everything we have today has come from arguing and fighting. In Utopia, sure....arguing is for fools....but this is the real world.  Our first Race Relations Act only came about because of the fighting....our equal pay only came about by fighting for it.........our right to be here and not be 'repatriated' only came about because our mums and dads fought running street battles with the police. The popular facist movement in the UK (skinheads) only died a sudden death here and went abroad after our youths fought them and the police all night and petrol bombed them out of existence. Radical, left wing agitation is part of the psyche of the old skool Southall people. It's part of who we are.  When brown and blacks in the UK were fed up with the direction the Labour Party wsa going and formed the later banned 'Black Section' of the party it was Southall they chose to launch it because Southall was considered the hotbed of agitation for rights. If you read old news articles from the late 70's early 70's they talk about what they refer to as the 'black panthers' of Britain : the Southall Youth Movement. In those articles they state that police in central London are becoming increasingly concerned because youths from Southall (Sikhs) are travelling to the west end each day (around Picadilly Circus and Leicester Square) just to 'bash up' (mash up) white people. When Southall said racist murders would be avenged these wern't just words. Fighting and violence is part of the DNA of old skool Southall. For revenge, they would travel to the centre of the world (picadilly circus) and beat up random white people. We've been arguing, agitating and fighting...on everybody's behalf, for 60 years. It's a fundamental part of who I am.

1976:

00106886.jpg

1976:

00057057.jpg

1979:

article-0-00F63D3B00000191-510_468x310.j

1979:

apr-04-1979-one-dies-and-many-injured-in

1981:

southall-riots-G8H3YG.jpg

1979:

DSCF7038.jpg

1976:

6038879011_7b973fd216_o_0.jpg?itok=l47la

southall.jpg

race_riots_news.jpg

southall-riots-G8H3YK.jpg

Agitation...Agitation...Agitation; it's part of our DNA in Southall

SYMphotoweb.jpg?resize=560,416

Southall shows solidarity with the brave Gujaratis at Grunwick:

grunwick.jpg?w=500

1970's: Southall's message to Enoch Powell:

southall.jpg

article-0-00F63D3200000191-353_468x307.j

Southall Sikhs bring the road to a standstill after another of our youths was killed:

southall-youth-picket2-2.jpg

1976:

aym_003b.jpg

Anyday and everyday 1970's Southall:

3745.jpg

Southall Black Sisters :

SBS-24.jpg

Sharia-wills.png

Brave and Gujerati are not two words you would put together normally. 

My dad got caught up in the riots.

Beating up goreh wasn't a thing only in the 1970's, it was happening in the 60's as well.

My dad in the 1960's was a Featherstone boy and he used to go to fight some of the white boys in Dormers Wells. 

Being jumped by 7-8 white boys was not unusual. 

Even my grandfather's generation were not particularly passive either.  They were a hard working, hard drinking and hard living bunch. My grandfather and his cousins got into many alterations  (they used to play hockey and those sticks came in handy.)

Though my dad was not a big fan of the Southall Black Sisters,  he thought they were a bunch of trouble makers. 

That was a different era and different type of people. That was in the days when there used to be a community spirit. 

Guest Jagsaw_Singh

Brave and Gujerati are not two words you would put together normally. 

Yeah I agree not normally Ranjeet but what those brave Hindu Gujarati aunties did on behalf of all of us people of colour back in the 1970's was more than just brave....it is simply awe inspiring.  Our mums, as they worked in the factories, were paid less than the white women working alongside them because their brown skins were not deemed worthy of deserving equal pay as a human. Those Gujarati aunties came out in strike in protest. They had the support of nobody and nothing other than their own hearts and conscience which convinced them it was the right thing to do. In the early days of our grandparents / parents life it was the unions who were the most racist and so these aunties had no support from the union. They picketed the factory every day alone, and each and every day faced abuse from racists and violence from the police. Day after day, week after week, month and after month this went on. Every day they picketed alone and happily faced the violence. After being alone out there for a whole year the conscience of the whole country woke up. Every right thinking person in the country suddenly felt ashamed that they had let these women face all this alone. From that day onwrds, each morning, cars and buses would arrive from Liverpool, Leeds, Hull, Glasgow, Birmingham, Exeter..all over the UK. First a 100 people joined the aunties in solidarity. Next day it was 1000. By the end of the week police estimated that 20,000 people were arriving each day to stand alongside the aunties. With this awesome momentum they eventually won.....on behalf of all of our mothers. So yes....these Gujaratis were awesomely brave.

Beating up goreh wasn't a thing only in the 1970's, it was happening in the 60's as well.

Oh yes I know but what I'm talking about is specific articles that started to appear in the London Evening Standard and London Evening News regarding gangs of 'Sikhs from Southall' deliberately travelling from Ealing Brodway to Central London each day for 'white bashing' days out.

Though my dad was not a big fan of the Southall Black Sisters,  he thought they were a bunch of trouble makers

Yes I know that is the common (probably majority) view among most Sikhs but I've always been of the opinion that I, as a man, have absolutely no right to tell a female how she should be feeling about an issue, such as domestic violence. They feel it...so they know it...so much better than me. Southall Black Sisters don't claim to fight on behalf of me and you. They fight militantly and aggressively on behalf of women and I salute any group that shows that kind of passion.

3 hours ago, Guest Jagsaw_Singh said:

for us old skool Southall families it was always about being in the frontline of agitation, fighting, arguing and revolution. Agitation is part of our DNA.

Yep, massive respect to them considering Police brutality and racism in the force was at it's peak yet the Punjabi's remained steadfast and resolute in their guiding principals from back home. 

3 hours ago, Guest Jagsaw_Singh said:

The popular facist movement in the UK (skinheads) only died a sudden death here and went abroad after our youths fought them and the police all night and petrol bombed them out of existence.

Following the 81 riots when the mostly Sikhs/Punjabis with backup from Blacks who arrived in coaches from Acton/Brixton to destroy the psyche of the racist NF heading to Southall from Hayes Bridge (incidentally where the Hamborough Tavern was set alight) and from  notorious Northolt, the NF's stronghold went into decline. 

The organisation and bravery shown by our fathers and uncles during the riots was a pivotal moment, the NF began to move out of Hayes from the mid 80's and by the 90s the surrounding areas which were previously no go for Asians were less toxic and racial attacks reduced massively.

2 hours ago, Guest Jagsaw_Singh said:

Yeah I agree not normally Ranjeet but what those brave Hindu Gujarati aunties did on behalf of all of us people of colour back in the 1970's was more than just brave....it is simply awe inspiring.  Our mums, as they worked in the factories, were paid less than the white women working alongside them because their brown skins were not deemed worthy of deserving equal pay as a human. Those Gujarati aunties came out in strike in protest. They had the support of nobody and nothing other than their own hearts and conscience which convinced them it was the right thing to do. In the early days of our grandparents / parents life it was the unions who were the most racist and so these aunties had no support from the union. They picketed the factory every day alone, and each and every day faced abuse from racists and violence from the police. Day after day, week after week, month and after month this went on. Every day they picketed alone and happily faced the violence. After being alone out there for a whole year the conscience of the whole country woke up. Every right thinking person in the country suddenly felt ashamed that they had let these women face all this alone. From that day onwrds, each morning, cars and buses would arrive from Liverpool, Leeds, Hull, Glasgow, Birmingham, Exeter..all over the UK. First a 100 people joined the aunties in solidarity. Next day it was 1000. By the end of the week police estimated that 20,000 people were arriving each day to stand alongside the aunties. With this awesome momentum they eventually won.....on behalf of all of our mothers. So yes....these Gujaratis were awesomely brave.

Oh yes I know but what I'm talking about is specific articles that started to appear in the London Evening Standard and London Evening News regarding gangs of 'Sikhs from Southall' deliberately travelling from Ealing Brodway to Central London each day for 'white bashing' days out.

Yes I know that is the common (probably majority) view among most Sikhs but I've always been of the opinion that I, as a man, have absolutely no right to tell a female how she should be feeling about an issue, such as domestic violence. They feel it...so they know it...so much better than me. Southall Black Sisters don't claim to fight on behalf of me and you. They fight militantly and aggressively on behalf of women and I salute any group that shows that kind of passion.

Those Gujerati women should be commended. Though it does feel very uncharacteristic. 

Our bibian were magnificent according to my dad. From his recollection, our bibian linked arms to form a chain around the gurdwarae so that they were protected. 

Some of our "community leaders" the uncles were sh****ng their pants hiding in the gurdwarae. 

If you remember that there used to be a show on Channel 4 called the Bandung Files,  I do recall seeing footage on the riots where a bazurg had an NF guy in a headlock and proceeded to punch the NF guy in the head.

There was great bravery and some great cowardice with some of our uncles. 

I do not know much about the black sisters, I never got to question my dad on his opinion.