Problem with my Guru Ghar's Committee right now

Guest Gupti

3 hours ago, GurjantGnostic said:

I see what you're saying here but don't many sikhs own stores and restaurants that sell meat, alcohol, and tobacco? 

They don't consume it themselves per their rehit, but what forbids them from profiting off those who exercise free will and do not walk the path?

It's true that a lot of "Sikhs" sell meat and alcohol and so on, but you are not supposed to. If you are an amritdhari Sikh, you are told not to do so.

10 minutes ago, BhForce said:

It's true that a lot of "Sikhs" sell meat and alcohol and so on, but you are not supposed to. If you are an amritdhari Sikh, you are told not to do so.

Makes sense. Once I realized the truth about alcohol I left the industry so as not to contribute to other people's demise and also to not be around it. Is it Gurbani directed or by the committees?

Edit: I did take one security job in a club after that, which seemed better than serving it but I left that job and have been fortunate enough not to have to go back to work in the industry at all after that. 

3 minutes ago, GurjantGnostic said:

Makes sense. Once I realized the truth about alcohol I left the industry so as not to contribute to other people's demise and also to not be around it. Is it Gurbani directed or by the committees?

Oral rehit. But I would say it's based in the ethos of Gurbani. Because if you believe from Gurbani that

1) Mankind is one brotherhood with one Divine Father.

and

2) Nasha (drugs) are poison

then why would you not also believe

3) You shouldn't want to poison your brother

On 06/02/2018 at 10:12 PM, DailyMail said:

Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't the access from Hibernia Road still in use? There are 2 gates

Going there tomorrow hopefully will report back, if the pedestrian access is not closed the car one from that side will be.

We always defined old/new sides based on demarcation lines of the railway bridge.

23 hours ago, Guest Jagsaw_Singh said:

Asian families from all over the UK would visit Southall to see a film at the Dominion and as soon as it was over they'd feel like buying the record

The main cinema was the palace on South Road with the Chinese exterior. It would be packed to the rafters every time a new flick was released. It died a death with the advent of VHS and everyone including us were renting bootleg vids from the myriad shops that popped up. The cinemas demise was a sad one, in the 80's it was converted into tiny stalls, a meat/fish market - boy did that stench, clothing and ironically multiple film rental units.  The Afghanis adopted the same model by going one step further and dividing and standard retail floor space in to a gazillion shops selling cheap tat from China at inflated prices to the many visitors who still marvel at Southall. The buzz of the place diminished massively once the mainly Sikh owned shops started disappearing to be replaced with large Pakistani owned restaurants and then the already mentioned Afghan influx. The parking restrictions did not help either!

Guest Jagsaw_Singh
15 minutes ago, InderjitS said:

The main cinema was the palace on South Road with the Chinese exterior. It would be packed to the rafters every time a new flick was released. It died a death with the advent of VHS and everyone including us were renting bootleg vids from the myriad shops that popped up. The cinemas demise was a sad one, in the 80's it was converted into tiny stalls, a meat/fish market - boy did that stench, clothing and ironically multiple film rental units.  The Afghanis adopted the same model by going one step further and dividing and standard retail floor space in to a gazillion shops selling cheap tat from China at inflated prices to the many visitors who still marvel at Southall. The buzz of the place diminished massively once the mainly Sikh owned shops started disappearing to be replaced with large Pakistani owned restaurants and then the already mentioned Afghan influx. The parking restrictions did not help either!

Sad. The Southall of today is not the Sikh Southall of the 50',60's, 70's and early 80's.

So who's to blame ?    The answer is people like my family mostly. Like all the old famililies we got out of Southall but kept our property there as a rental investment. That showed we had no social responsibility. My family, like all the other Sikh families that left, profited from Southall becoming a rental hotbed rather than a family hotbed, by renting our properties to undesirables. Let's get this straight : The Sikhs of Southall - my family included - are responsible for the demise of Sikh Southall. And that's both sad and shamefull.   The other reason is the existence of the infamous Thorncliffe Hotel in North Hyde Lane on the Southall / Heston border in the 1980's. That massive rat infested building with hundreds and hundreds of rooms was the main housing post for all Somalian refugees that arrived in the early 1980's. The owner was a Sikh. Because London's premier housing post was in Southall....Southall got them.

On a more lighter note though :) the cinema you mentioned on South Road. Southall had 3 iIndian ones in it's heyday: The Dominion, The Century and The Liberty. Was the chinese architecture one the liberty or the century ???

1 hour ago, InderjitS said:

The Afghanis do have that habit of subdividing retail stores into a cheap market. 

I tend to avoid Southall and have not been there for several years. 

Is it true that they are cleaning up Southall. I heard that those Somali Shops near the dominion (that parade of shops opposite the 15th century manor house ) are gone.  My memory is a bit hazy.

1 hour ago, Guest Jagsaw_Singh said:

On a more lighter note though :) the cinema you mentioned on South Road. Southall had 3 iIndian ones in it's heyday: The Dominion, The Century and The Liberty. Was the chinese architecture one the liberty or the century ???

That was the Liberty but they only showed Indian films from '72.

When the first Star Wars movie came out, we actually walked all the way to Hayes, a perilous journey considering the racial climate, to the Cinema on Uxbridge Road. I think that is now a Mecca Bingo.

pics..

134614.jpg

Image result for southall cinema, south road