Amritdharis marrying hair-cut spouses - <banned word filter activated> Jagmeet Singh ?

Guest Jagsaw_Singh

Guest Jagsaw_Singh
5 minutes ago, californiasardar1 said:

You said "there is absolutely nothing wrong with any person wishing to cut their hair".  No, there is something wrong with that. 

Obviously, the Khalsa are supposed to uphold certain standards, but that doesn't mean the rehat maryada does not apply to non-Khalsa Sikhs.  All Sikhs should strive to live according the rehat maryada as closely as possible.

To suggest that certain practices that are forbidden in Sikhi are somehow completely okay as long as they are done by a sehajdhari Sikh who has yet to take amrit is silly.

You said "there is absolutely nothing wrong with any person wishing to cut their hair".  No, there is something wrong with that. 

A person...be he John Smith in Glasgow or Maria Santos in Spain must never be told he or she is wrong or is doing something morally wrong because he or she cuts her hair. Sikhi must never be forced on non-sikhs. As long as they are  good people doing good for the world they cannot be 'wrong'.

To suggest that certain practices that are forbidden in Sikhi are somehow completely okay as long as they are done by a sehajdhari Sikh who has yet to take amrit is silly.

No it's not silly. A Sikh that willingly initiates himself into the Khalsa must hold himself to a higher moral standard. To wish to wear the robes and wield the arms but not practice the virtue is sillyness at it's purest form. It is more than silly....it is deceit.

When Jagmeet was running for party leader, the first thought that came to my mind was that it’s going to be our own people that try to bring him down.  That’s exactly what happened.  First the moderate sikhs went to the media and tried to paint him as a terrorist as he was trying to get the 1984 massacre recognised as genocide.      Then Indian politicians turned on him and basically said he should mind his own business and not be concerned with what goes on in Punjab. When people thought he was single, the goray thought it was normal but the apnay started spreading rumours that he was gay.  Now people are saying he needs to be brought down because he’s not marrying and amritdhari?  

It’s easy to be critical, but I’m just happy he found someone to marry because at 38 it’s not an easy thing to do.  

On 18/01/2018 at 12:17 PM, S1ngh said:

He is a good politician and lets leave up to that. They groom their lifestyle in such way in order to win votes. He is just a politician, we should not expect such people to be pious religious figure. 

Why minimize jagmeet Singh impact on the Khalsa Panth image?  He visibly can be seen wearing a kirpan and turban.  He identifies as a Sikh and a amritdhari. Non Sikhs and Sikh youth most likely see him as a role model and/or representative when he has stepped away from the Guru's true image of the Guru's teaching and actions.  

He has helped Sikhs in the past.  All credit goes not to him for it.  As you know and I know, praise always goes to Guru sahib.  His first attempt to enter politics was around 2011.  He has gradually walked further from representing the image he sports everyday. 

Jagmeet Singh stepping away from the Guru's teachings must be highlighted so gullible Sikh youth do not fall to the same vices he has by being engaged to a girl doesn't want to take Amrit from the Punj Pyare. Her social media accounts are open to the public and she shows no sign of taking Amrit from the punj Pyare ever crossing her mind.  She is more interested in singing promiscuous bhangra music and dancing to it.

On 1/18/2018 at 7:04 PM, Guest Jagsaw_Singh said:

So why no fuss over Jagmeet's bride who is not only not amritdhari but also not long -haired as she keeps it cut and styled to just below shoulder level ?  Where's the outcry ?? Doesn't anything mean anything anymore?   Does gender, money and power buy you priveledges from your faith's rules ?

You are correct that an amritdhari Sikh is supposed to marry an amritdhari Sikh. That is made quite clear by Panj Piyare. There should not be any doubt about that.

That being said, I am not an expert on determining hair-cut status, and I don't know if his bride is indeed hair-cut.

The reason there is no outcry is simply that people don't look to politicians to be paragons of virtue or Sikhism. They just look to them to get their priorities enacted.

Is Sukhbir Singh Badal or his father Parkash Singh Badal, their wives, or Capt Amrinder Singh or his wife Parneet Kaur in Rehit or outside of it?

The answer is: Don't know, don't care.

I would definitely care if a religious official or preacher were outside of the maryada.

18 hours ago, MrDoaba said:

Executing Ranneeti and Raajneeti simply cannot be held to the standards of Rehat Maryada namely due to the fact that this is Kalyug. As stated in another post we cannot and should not expect the neetikaars to be pious and religious figures. Unless of course we're happy being personae non gratae forever.

Yes, agreed. While agreeing, I would state that I would not for a moment sacrifice any element of Rehat for myself or for religious officials. But that's not the same standard for politicians. You virtually have to be lax (dhilla) to be a politician. 

Also, do note that Guru Gobind Singh ji supported Bahadur Shah for the emperorship of India. Bahudar Shah was hardly within the ambit of maryada.

15 hours ago, Ranjeet01 said:

He understands that if he is to challenge pretty boy Trudeau, he needs out-glamour him because politics are largely popularity contests. 

Because the way the masses and the media work come election time is who has the prettier wife Trudeau or Singh?

Incisive comments. Sad but true.

You are right that Trudeau was probably elected because he looks more handsome than Stephen Harper. 

The one place where I would agree with Jagsaw is not to attack Jagmeet Singh, but to make our sisters and daughters (and brothers) aware that cutting hair is not within the Guru's commands, and neither is marrying a non-amritdhari. As a general rule, not as a club to beat Jagmeet Singh.

Finally, I think we should not glorify or unduly elevate politicians or rulers. As Sant Attar Singh ji boldly chanted during the parade for the King of England and Emperor of India:

ਕੋਊ ਹਰਿ ਸਮਾਨਿ ਨਹੀ ਰਾਜਾ ॥

There is no king equal to the Lord.

ਏ ਭੂਪਤਿ ਸਭ ਦਿਵਸ ਚਾਰਿ ਕੇ ਝੂਠੇ ਕਰਤ ਦਿਵਾਜਾ ॥੧॥ ਰਹਾਉ ॥

All these lords of the world last for only a few days, putting on their false displays. ||1||Pause||

ਬਿਲਾਵਲੁ (ਭ. ਕਬੀਰ) (੫) ੧:੨ - ਗੁਰੂ ਗ੍ਰੰਥ ਸਾਹਿਬ : ਅੰਗ ੮੫੬ ਪੰ. ੯ 
Raag Bilaaval Bhagat Kabir

If we don't glorify rulers, we won't be tempted to follow them in matters of Rehit.

Are we confusing the words Amritdhari with Brahamgiani. These are two different states. An Amritdhari still remains a normal person who can annoy you with certain acts.

A brahamgiani on the other hand ... only Sukhmani sahib can narrate the qualities of a Brahamgiani. He has s got the highest character and these types of mahapurakh are very hard to come by. The rest are just trying to get there. 

Out of a million, only one such person is chosen by the almighty.

1 hour ago, BhForce said:

Yes, agreed. While agreeing, I would state that I would not for a moment sacrifice any element of Rehat for myself or for religious officials. But that's not the same standard for politicians. You virtually have to be lax (dhilla) to be a politician. 

Also, do note that Guru Gobind Singh ji supported Bahadur Shah for the emperorship of India. Bahudar Shah was hardly within the ambit of maryada.

Incisive comments. Sad but true.

You are right that Trudeau was probably elected because he looks more handsome than Stephen Harper. 

The one place where I would agree with Jagsaw is not to attack Jagmeet Singh, but to make our sisters and daughters (and brothers) aware that cutting hair is not within the Guru's commands, and neither is marrying a non-amritdhari. As a general rule, not as a club to beat Jagmeet Singh.

Finally, I think we should not glorify or unduly elevate politicians or rulers. As Sant Attar Singh ji boldly chanted during the parade for the King of England and Emperor of India:

ਕੋਊ ਹਰਿ ਸਮਾਨਿ ਨਹੀ ਰਾਜਾ ॥

There is no king equal to the Lord.

ਏ ਭੂਪਤਿ ਸਭ ਦਿਵਸ ਚਾਰਿ ਕੇ ਝੂਠੇ ਕਰਤ ਦਿਵਾਜਾ ॥੧॥ ਰਹਾਉ ॥

All these lords of the world last for only a few days, putting on their false displays. ||1||Pause||

ਬਿਲਾਵਲੁ (ਭ. ਕਬੀਰ) (੫) ੧:੨ - ਗੁਰੂ ਗ੍ਰੰਥ ਸਾਹਿਬ : ਅੰਗ ੮੫੬ ਪੰ. ੯ 
Raag Bilaaval Bhagat Kabir

If we don't glorify rulers, we won't be tempted to follow them in matters of Rehit.

Trudeau won for two main factors. One is the fact is a pretty boy and that got the woman vote.

The second is because of his father. 

Problem though is Trudeau is quite effiminate. 

Jagmeet Singh being an Amritdhari with his build and body frame comes across more masculine. 

Combined with his body language and posture he comes across as a classic Sikh male.

He dresses well for a Canadian too. 

When he does enter the election and Trudeau comes face to face with him, you will need to notice how Trudeau will change is body language to come across as an Alpha male. 

• The topic was locked