Punjabi Language

94nsngh

I signed up to Sikh Sangat to simply find out where I can learn Punjabi. I would be grateful if someone could help point me in the right direction.

I am a Sikh 24 years of age from the UK (Slough), and have been brought up in a household where English is the main language. My issue is I can just about speak and understand it, having this problem makes me feel very disconnected from the Sangat. I like to help people from my own community, but find it impossible at times due to a major language barrier.

I know this is a common problem with many Sikh people I know, why is this issue not being addressed within our community?

Thank you.

2 hours ago, sikhni777 said:

I would recommend you to attend Guru maneyo granth gurdwara as the katha there is very simply done with gurbani tukhs and their meanings too. 

Listen to bhai vishal singh ji katha as well online. The more you listen the more you will understand.  

Thanks, I will. Do you know of any Punjabi schools for adults? Do you recommend going or buying textbooks from online? 

I think it depends on the individual on how motivated you are in learning the language. At the end of the day it is all your hard work. You can learn from a textbook but I think you would need some guidance from somebody. If you can form the letters correctly then good. 

I you learn a letter a day, in two months I think you will have mastered quite a bit. 

Guaranteed the gurdwarey there hold Punjabi classes. Check with Sheehy Way or the Ramgharia Gurdwara off the A355.

The issue is that youngsters generally are not that interested, they simply have no need to learn and the elders are forced to converse in broken English. Few will insist on making it mandatory to speak in the home. 

Nowadays kids have no fear or discipline instilled in to them or it's a rare sight. Used to be the case of a few shittar (good seeing to) and kids toed the line, with all the poncy laws in place and children taught to grass on their own parents to the authorities they no longer have the encouragement.

There are exceptions to this I've but not come across many.

Now that my rant is over...

Punjabi schools teach bare basics. If you're serious in learning and once have a grounding and later down the line read Punjabi news/books. I recommend spending time with elders in your extended family that do speak it and holiday in Punjab.

12 hours ago, InderjitS said:

Guaranteed the gurdwarey there hold Punjabi classes. Check with Sheehy Way or the Ramgharia Gurdwara off the A355.

The issue is that youngsters generally are not that interested, they simply have no need to learn and the elders are forced to converse in broken English. Few will insist on making it mandatory to speak in the home. 

Nowadays kids have no fear or discipline instilled in to them or it's a rare sight. Used to be the case of a few shittar (good seeing to) and kids toed the line, with all the poncy laws in place and children taught to grass on their own parents to the authorities they no longer have the encouragement.

There are exceptions to this I've but not come across many.

Now that my rant is over...

Punjabi schools teach bare basics. If you're serious in learning and once have a grounding and later down the line read Punjabi news/books. I recommend spending time with elders in your extended family that do speak it and holiday in Punjab.

Thank you I will ask them.

I agree to your statement:

Why do you think our community do not see this as a problem? I firmly believe it is, in order to keep people involved with Sikhi and the Sangat.