Recipes

GurjantGnostic

1 hour ago, GurjantGnostic said:

Thank you! I was kneading the heck out of it. 

Vaheguru ji ka khalsa
Vaheguru ji ki fateh, jii

Be careful though, tharka isnt really healthy.. Very easy to skip it. I usually use jeera instead.  vaheguru ji ka khalsa vaheguru ji ki fateh

7 minutes ago, Preeet said:

Vaheguru ji ka khalsa
Vaheguru ji ki fateh, jii

Be careful though, tharka isnt really healthy.. Very easy to skip it. I usually use jeera instead.  vaheguru ji ka khalsa vaheguru ji ki fateh

We do thorka to most sabjis/daals, but don’t use butter, but oil instead and don’t put in all the masalas, etc. Just keep it simple, jeera, ginger, salt n sometimes garlic, tomatoes, tumeric, that’s it. Add some chillies if you want. Yellow daal, don’t do thorka to it and it’s so much healthier and better since we stopped the thorka. Simple is how to keep the nutrients in too. 

1 minute ago, simran345 said:

We do thorka to most sabjis/daals, but don’t use butter, but oil instead and don’t put in all the masalas, etc. Just keep it simple, jeera, ginger, salt n sometimes garlic, tomatoes, tumeric, that’s it. Add some chillies if you want. Yellow daal, don’t do thorka to it and it’s so much healthier and better since we stopped the thorka. Simple is how to keep the nutrients in too. 

Vaheguru ji ka khalsa
Vaheguru ji ki fateh, jiii

Ooh thats kinda like how we do it, but we dont use onions or garlic or masara daal (personal choice hehe). & desi ghyo is healthy, but I dont think doing thurka of it is good, right? I prefer cold pressed virgin coconut oil, its really healthy and I heard it also helps stop anxiety. But dont use more than a teaspoon the 1st few time cuz it pumps blood in the body really fast (it happened to me the 1st time lol). vaheguru ji ka khalsa vaheguru ji ki fateh

2 minutes ago, Preeet said:

Vaheguru ji ka khalsa

Ooh thats kinda like how we do it, but we dont use onions or garlic or masara daal (personal choice hehe). & desi ghyo is healthy, but I dont think doing thurka of it is good, right? I prefer cold pressed virgin coconut oil, its really healthy and I heard it also helps stop anxiety. But dont use more than a teaspoon the 1st few time cuz it pumps blood in the body really fast (it happened to me the 1st time lol). vaheguru ji ka khalsa vaheguru ji ki fateh

Yes I’m thinking of trying the desi gheo again, as my grandmother used to use it. We use extra virgin something or other too but not coconut, that’s rich, but don’t heat for too long. The thing is some people tend to luuh (burn) the thorka, so that ruins the dish. Oh and sprinkle some fresh thania (coriander) at the end or before serving. 

I’m not sure about the desi gheo, I think it’s a bit heavy, so for those that burn off a lot of calories it should be ok, but in moderation. There was a thread on here last year of desi gheo. I’ll try to find it later. 

1 minute ago, simran345 said:

Yes I’m thinking of trying the desi gheo again, as my grandmother used to use it. We use extra virgin something or other too but not coconut, that’s rich, but don’t heat for too long. The thing is some people tend to luuh (burn) the thorka, so that ruins the dish. Oh and sprinkle some fresh thania (coriander) at the end or before serving. 

I’m not sure about the desi gheo, I think it’s a bit heavy, so for those that burn off a lot of calories it should be ok, but in moderation. There was a thread on here last year of desi gheo. I’ll try to find it later. 

Vaheguru ji ka khalsa

Mhmm, when people burn the tarkha it isnt really good. You should check this site: http://www.gursevak.com/health ! See the "View of Gurbani on keeping good health". The Sarab Rog Ka Aukhad Naam sanstha people came to a gurdwara ji near my city, and the singh ji from there told us that desi ghyo is good for us.. Even online, during their samagam there was a person who talked in the mic and said they had heart problems and medicine didnt get rid of all the dukh, and so they were told about desi ghyo and they ate it with shakk thinking it might be bad but they said they started feeling better (he also started reading gurbani ji), and even his DR started asking him what he changed but he didnt tell him lol. But my mom said to me Indias weather is different, and so it might be better to consume it there rather in the cold western places. I too put one teaspoon of desi ghyo in my daal/sabji cup almost everytime now. Margarine, on the other hand is not acceptable. vaheguru ji ka khalsa vaheguru ji ki fateh

56 minutes ago, simran345 said:

people , the three safest oils for tharka since we use high temperature  are : desi ghee (made from organic grassfed butter ), mustard oil, and coconut oil . NEVER use sunflower it is the most unstable and produces the most free radicals/toxins , Corn usually GMO in US , bad , canola/rapeseed oil are NOT healthy when heated , if someone offers you cottonseed basically take it they are out to poison you  as cotton is the most chemical sprayed crop and the poisons accumulate in the seed oil. Soya oil is from a known allergen and is extremely inflammatory for the body . Olive , hemp, organic non GMO rapeseed ,grapeseed are all great cold-pressed and eaten raw on salads or in smoothies, veg juices but best antiinflammatory effects are fresh whole nuts and seeds.

My Nani ji used to say butter makes people fat but ghee doesn't ... not sure what she based it on but she looked after four generations of people so I trust her advice .

2 hours ago, simran345 said:

In Punjabi cuisine how can you not really. Some dishes taste fine without (like some daal) but the rest would be bland as hell. You may as well boil your sabji and just blitz it lol! And hing is a brilliant addition to turka!

2 hours ago, simran345 said:

The thing is some people tend to luuh (burn) the thorka, so that ruins the dish. Oh and sprinkle some fresh thania (coriander) at the end or before serving. 

You're spot on here. There's a fine line between perfect turka and a burnt one. The texture is hard to describe, it needs to almost be resinous, chewy, but not crispy. Some people add it it right add the end, however personally I think you should add it few mins before to let the flavours infuse.

3 hours ago, sikhni777 said:

recipes for more types of pinnis

Have you ever tried to make pinni style sundh (ginger)? Bit like gingerbread crumble lol.

tips for making palak saag paneer outstanding

1. cook the saag along side in a seperate patila needs only minimal time so use tardka cooking time to time it 

2 . In another parallel pan add mustardseed to tardka or better still use mustard oil to enhance the sarson flavour .

3. after getting tardka to point of almost ready to add to saag i.e. tomatoes cooked down and the oil beading out  add water about a cup and cook the paneer in the tardka until water evaporates . meanwhile add aalan to the saag , cook both then add the whole infused shebang to the saag .

4. add juice of one lemon to the saag paneer, stir and switch off .

p.s. I never fry my paneer , some may consider this sacrilege but it saves so much additional calories and the sqeaky result

48 minutes ago, jkvlondon said:

tips for making palak saag paneer outstanding

1. cook the saag along side in a seperate patila needs only minimal time so use tardka cooking time to time it 

2 . In another parallel pan add mustardseed to tardka or better still use mustard oil to enhance the sarson flavour .

3. after getting tardka to point of almost ready to add to saag i.e. tomatoes cooked down and the oil beading out  add water about a cup and cook the paneer in the tardka until water evaporates . meanwhile add aalan to the saag , cook both then add the whole infused shebang to the saag .

4. add juice of one lemon to the saag paneer, stir and switch off .

p.s. I never fry my paneer , some may consider this sacrilege but it saves so much additional calories and the sqeaky result

Tamatar in saag??!! Now that is sacrilege!! Lol!

Have you ever made kale saag? It's pretty good.

Tilla paneer doesn't have the right texture either really. But each to their own. It just sort of breaks up if you leave it unfried, no?

I tired making palak halloumi once but it didn't work so well haha.

21 minutes ago, MrDoaba said:

Tamatar in saag??!! Now that is sacrilege!! Lol!

Have you ever made kale saag? It's pretty good.

Tilla paneer doesn't have the right texture either really. But each to their own. It just sort of breaks up if you leave it unfried, no?

I tired making palak halloumi once but it didn't work so well haha.

halloumi is good for grilling and putting in wraps, salads it's just too salty and rubbery for sabji . I using put in with lemon, fresh mint and olive oil dressing .

as for the paneer actually if you leave it in the rehydrated tardka it soaks up flavour and becomes firmer without too much hassle.

kale saag do you mean cavolo nero /kale based ?

if you are in a saag emergency you can cut tardka tomato cook down time by using sundried tomato puree NOT regular tomato puree.or just want to add flavour of cooked toms to dhal without tardka  add some to the dhal before closing and boiling 

Any one into kardi ...Doves organic gram flour is really good quality ...