Recipes

GurjantGnostic

33 minutes ago, GurjantGnostic said:

I've been making my own rhoti, and dhal, but all the recipes I find on the internet are gori recipes by vegans and stuff.  Any authentic tips on making rhoti, dhal and other traditional dishes?

Maybe some tips on pakora and sauces?  Salad dressings?

My friend, the trick to Punjabi cuisine is all about the turka (or tadka by those who cannot speak authentic Punjabi) otherwise known as tempering. This can make or break a dish. Learning how to cook Punjabi food is a skill to be learnt but learning how to make turka is a skill in itself. Ingredients, amounts, and methods vary. But essentially it is what gives the dish body.

You will have to make a few attempts at producing this Holy Grail. Trial and error. I'll give you one tip; it cannot be made in a non-stick frying pan, ever.

Also be warned, turka whilst having a lovely smell during cooking, will surely seep into any nearby fabrics.

1 minute ago, MrDoaba said:

My friend, the trick to Punjabi cuisine is all about the turka (or tadka by those who cannot speak authentic Punjabi) otherwise known as tempering. This can make or break a dish. Learning how to cook Punjabi food is a skill to be learnt but learning how to make turka is a skill in itself. Ingredients, amounts, and methods vary. But essentially it is what gives the dish body.

You will have make a few attempts at producing this Holy Grail. Trial and error. I'll give you one tip; it cannot be made in a non-stick frying pan, ever.

Also be warned, turka whilst having a lovely smell during cooking, will surely seep into any nearby fabrics.

I will definitely look into that.  I cook in cast iron.

1 minute ago, GurjantGnostic said:

I will definitely look into that.  I cook in cast iron.

I will post more tips later bro. One more tip is to let it begin to stick to the bottom and continuously keep scraping, repeat. In theory it's done once the ingredients start separating from the oil but this depends on individual preference.

Requires a lot of attention initially but you'll get used to it.

Cast iron or any "stick" cookwear is good. Non-stick is the Devils work.

1 minute ago, MrDoaba said:

I will post more tips later bro. One more tip is to let it begin to stick to the bottom and continuously keep scraping, repeat. In theory it's done once the ingredients start separating from the oil but this depends on individual preference.

Requires a lot of attention initially but you'll get used to it.

Cast iron or any "stick" cookwear is good. Non-stick is the Devils work.

Nice I'm going to start cooking right now, while my dough sets.  Yeah teflon is a killer.  My friend pat almost died from various illnesses linked to teflon. Instead he's lived years in pain.

4 hours ago, GurjantGnostic said:

My roti don't seem to always puff.  I'm not sure if I cook them at too low a temperature or don't let the dough sit long enough.  If the dough sits overnight I seem to have better luck.

It maybe that you are kneading it too hard. Try it with softer dough, as the moisture in it will make it puff. Also it’s best to puff it over a flame, normally moving the tawa a bit to the side then placing the roti over the flame slightly with tongs. 

Also don’t keep turning sides, as only cook one side, then the other slightly, then on flame. Or just on the tawa, but pressing it slightly when on the other side, but not too hard. (Medium temp)

If the dough is too soft, then knead it bit harder. Some people put some oil in it. 

And as @MrDoaba paji has said, it’s all about the thorka. You get the thorka right, then you can make anything ?. ?????

1 hour ago, jkvlondon said:

try the veggie recipes and videos on vahrehvah.com  Sanjay explains it in english , all authentic Indian recipes and techniques given with really animated enthusiasm ....e.g. his site breaks down Indian cusine by region and also by ingredient so if you are stuck with some veg in the fridge there's help out there...

here's a starter:

https://www.vahrehvah.com/mix-vegetable-pakora

Thats a very good website. I recently tried to make pinni from watching the youtube videos. Glad to say - it turned out good. I will defintely be using their recipes for more types of pinnis - the besan, atta and mung dhaal one. I thought mung dhaal one was very hard to make but was surprised that the ready made mung dhaal flour  takes just about ten minutes to get roasted. It tastes so good and is healthy as well. Will definitely make mung dhaal halva as well, in the future.