Recipes

GurjantGnostic

6 minutes ago, simran345 said:

Oh yes, my grandma used to do that too. But I’m not a saag fan? palak I don’t mind. 

Not even sarson da saag?

1 hour ago, MrDoaba said:

Tilla paneer doesn't have the right texture either really. But each to their own.

I’m going to try making paneer again, haven’t done it in years, but that’s the best stuff you can do yourself if you got time. 

Curly kale works well too but it's a mission to cut and if you buy the one which is already cut has too many stems.

Not a kale fan, although the kale mix smoothies suppose to be good. 

Love karhi. I had it at the Gurdwara once and it had whole peppercorns in it, amazing addition. Any tips for making the perfect one?

Yep you can’t beat karhi, another simple to cook dish.  

20 minutes ago, simran345 said:

I’m going to try making paneer again, haven’t done it in years, but that’s the best stuff you can do yourself if you got time. 

What you mean from scratch?

20 minutes ago, simran345 said:

Not a kale fan, although the kale mix smoothies suppose to be good. 

Good for health. I used to make a green smoothie with:

• Spinach
  • Carrots
  • Coriander
  • Parsley
  • Mint
  • Watercress
  • Apple
  • Yoghurt
  • Coconut Oil
  • Lemon Juice
  • Pinch of Salt

Followed by a spoon of Chyawanprash with a bit of milk, jeera and taniya powder with warm water. And a capusle of Lycopene and Ashwagandha!

Never felt better!

24 minutes ago, simran345 said:

Na, ? just went off it few years ago. 

@MrDoaba, tu chef a? ?‍? 

You can get sick and tired of it. Pher try kar lai kisse din.

Errmm I probably was in a past life lol. Nah I just like cooking. I learnt it all off my dear bibi and mummy. I find it fascinating, especially the health aspect.

Try making haalon di kheer one day. Good for aches! Aquired taste though.

What you mean from scratch?

Yes. Deleted paneer video, as some people may get offended, and then I’ll get told off ? .

Errmm I probably was in a past life lol. Nah I just like cooking. I learnt it all off my dear bibi and mummy. I find it fascinating, especially the health aspect.

Good skill you’ve acquired there and you can make it to your requirements. 

Try making haalon di kheer one day. Good for aches! Aquired taste though.

Haalon da kheer ki a? 

I don’t think I could do all those ingredients in your smoothie. 

spoon of Chyawanprash with a bit of milk, jeera and taniya powder with warm water. And a capusle of Lycopene and Ashwagandha!

Oh ho, chavanprash, your a proper desi. Baba Ramdev dian v jarrian bootian khanda? ?

4 minutes ago, simran345 said:

Good skill you’ve acquired there and you can make it to your requirements. 

When I decide to get married I'll put it in my matrimonial ad. Haha

4 minutes ago, simran345 said:

Haalon da kheer ki a? 

I don’t think I could do all those ingredients in your smoothie. 

Just regular kheer but with haalon. Cress seeds I believe. You would have seen em in desi shop.

https://www.spicesofindia.co.uk/acatalog/Halon-Seeds-Aserio-Seeds.html

And yeah it's not easy to down that smoothie but asi swaad le nahi khaande si.

6 minutes ago, simran345 said:

Oh ho, chavanprash, your a proper desi. Baba Ramdev dian v jarrian bootian khanda? ?

Lolll. Used to hate it when I was a kid. Lehhh Baba Ramdev ain't got nothing on me! :ehhh:

Cheers for the paneer video.

2 hours ago, MrDoaba said:

Yeah true. For sabji it is wayyyy to salty. The texture is ok-ish but too dense and heavy, not to mention it's a panga just to fry it!! I will try the turka thing as suggested.

Yeah man, those are the one! Cavolo nero is good, adds that pepperiness. It works if you can't get your hands on sarson. Curly kale works well too but it's a mission to cut and if you buy the one which is already cut has too many stems. No matter how much you blend it, it still stays stringy. Best to mix em. Want to try using some other greens but supermarkets rarely have them. Any experience with using different types?

And I agree with sundired tamatar. Some folks add way too much tamatar generally and it's overpowering. I'm not a fan of khatta personally.

Love karhi. I had it at the Gurdwara once and it had whole peppercorns in it, amazing addition. Any tips for making the perfect one?

if you follow the punjabi kardi recipe on vahreh vah you get good method  and seasoning ... I go with whole black peppercorns , chilli flakes(not powder), jeera, half teaspoon methi seeds, mustard seeds, ginger ground from fresh , a tiny bit garlic, onion paste , green chillis is the point is pepperiness in layers .

dry spices ground coriander , haldi, garam masala then one tomato chopped finely , a little water then when cooked sieve yoghurt besan batter mix with additional water into that .

I tend to use small potato slices (par boiled in salty water whilst tardka is being done , then drained) rather than pakorey (usually spicy palak and onion) as I tend to keep healthy as far as I can because kids and hubby have major makan habit .

I have used swiss chard , rainbow chard , pak choi , bok choi, savoy cabbage ....point is saag is greens of any type ...

2 hours ago, simran345 said:

By saag do you mean spinach leaves? 

Neither do we, it’s overdone then. 

Palak paneer on its own is a good dish. Tamattar ?? Not tried that one yet. 

whichever greens you chose ... i tend to use frozen chopped spinach from sainsburys but add mustardseed to tardka to enhance the flavour quick and simple ...but have used all different greens including broccoli when I had a glut ...it all works point is it shouldn't take more then half an hour to make saag , greens cook down really fast