Recipes

GurjantGnostic

2 minutes ago, jkvlondon said:

halloumi is good for grilling and putting in wraps, salads it's just too salty and rubbery for sabji . I using put in with lemon, fresh mint and olive oil dressing .

as for the paneer actually if you leave it in the rehydrated tardka it soaks up flavour and becomes firmer without too much hassle.

kale saag do you mean cavolo nero /kale based ?

if you are in a saag emergency you can cut tardka tomato cook down time by using sundried tomato puree NOT regular tomato puree.or just want to add flavour of cooked toms to dhal without tardka  add some to the dhal before closing and boiling 

Yeah true. For sabji it is wayyyy to salty. The texture is ok-ish but too dense and heavy, not to mention it's a panga just to fry it!! I will try the turka thing as suggested.

Yeah man, those are the one! Cavolo nero is good, adds that pepperiness. It works if you can't get your hands on sarson. Curly kale works well too but it's a mission to cut and if you buy the one which is already cut has too many stems. No matter how much you blend it, it still stays stringy. Best to mix em. Want to try using some other greens but supermarkets rarely have them. Any experience with using different types?

And I agree with sundired tamatar. Some folks add way too much tamatar generally and it's overpowering. I'm not a fan of khatta personally.

8 minutes ago, jkvlondon said:

Any one into kardi ...Doves organic gram flour is really good quality ...

Love karhi. I had it at the Gurdwara once and it had whole peppercorns in it, amazing addition. Any tips for making the perfect one?

2 hours ago, MrDoaba said:

In Punjabi cuisine how can you not really. Some dishes taste fine without (like some daal) but the rest would be bland as hell. You may as well boil your sabji and just blitz it lol! And hing is a brilliant addition to turka!

I can’t have chillies, but everybody else chillies in theirs. Masalas overload the dish, we put extra ginger instead. It’s not that bland, it’s actually very edible. Plus garlic gives it a kick too. 

2 hours ago, MrDoaba said:

There's a fine line between perfect turka and a burnt one. The texture is hard to describe, it needs to almost be resinous, chewy, but not crispy.

But some in our community think golden brown is raarh ke lol. So end up with charcoal brown ?. When the oil starts forming in it, that’s when it’s ready. 

Have you ever tried daal without onions? Try yellow daal without thorka, it’s so much better. But mix it with moongi. 

16 minutes ago, simran345 said:

I can’t have chillies, but everybody else chillies in theirs. Masalas overload the dish, we put extra ginger instead. It’s not that bland, it’s actually very edible. Plus garlic gives it a kick too.

Same really. There's only one chilli sauce I use without it messing up my tidh, it's mild but has a nice kick. Yeah masala can overload the dish, taniya powder and jeera powder work well. My bibi used to make masala at home back in the day, never tried it myself.

As for adkar, cut some up and lightly fry it. You can keep it in the fridge for a week or so, nice to sprinke some in daal etc.

16 minutes ago, simran345 said:

But some in our community think golden brown is raarh ke lol. So end up with charcoal brown ?. When the oil starts forming in it, that’s when it’s ready. 

Have you ever tried daal without onions? Try yellow daal without thorka, it’s so much better. But mix it with moongi. 

Golden brown is kacha! What's the point of even making turka lol! Like I said making turka is a skill which requires practice. And yes thank you, when it starts foaming!!

I have tried an-turki daal, it's amazing. We normally make massaran di daal as the weekly standard but will try what you said.

2 hours ago, jkvlondon said:

1. cook the saag along side in a seperate patila needs only minimal time so use tardka cooking time to time it 

By saag do you mean spinach leaves? 

2 hours ago, jkvlondon said:

p.s. I never fry my paneer , some may consider this sacrilege but it saves so much additional calories and the sqeaky result

Neither do we, it’s overdone then. 

1 hour ago, MrDoaba said:

Tamatar in saag??!!

Palak paneer on its own is a good dish. Tamattar ?? Not tried that one yet. 

2 minutes ago, simran345 said:

By saag do you mean spinach leaves?

People always get confused by this. Saag infact can be made out of various greens. If you look at recipes of "saag" in other parts of India, they use all sorts.

Bibi used to make saag solely out of sprouts at one time!

3 minutes ago, simran345 said:

Neither do we, it’s overdone then. 

Practically beadbi lol.

4 minutes ago, simran345 said:

Palak paneer on its own is a good dish. Tamattar ?? Not tried that one yet. 

JKV is old, taste buds probably knackered.

2 minutes ago, MrDoaba said:

taniya powder and jeera powder work well.

Yep we do that one too. But instead of the jeera powder, I prefer the fresh jeera. Gone off the powder, it has a weird taste. And thania powder aswell, seems different, so fresh thania is best, because at least you’ll know it’s fresh. Chop it up and put in the freezer with the adrak and mircha. But don’t put it in the ice cream dabaa ?

4 minutes ago, MrDoaba said:

You can keep it in the fridge for a week or so, nice to sprinke some in daal etc.

Frozen works just as good. 

5 minutes ago, MrDoaba said:

Golden brown is kacha! What's the point of even making turka lol!

Lol golden brown isn’t kacha. Because as you’re cooking the rest of the ingredients by adding them it will carry on cooking. Otherwise it gets quickly burnt after adding the haldi, fer siapa hojanda, if you don’t catch it in time. 

7 minutes ago, MrDoaba said:

an-turki daal, it's amazing. We normally make massaran di daal at the weekly standard but will try what you said.

An-turki lol, new word for the vocabulary. It’s very simple to make and quick too. 

3 minutes ago, MrDoaba said:

People always get confused by this. Saag infact can be made out of various greens. If you look at recipes of "saag" in other parts of India, they use all sorts.

Bibi used to make saag solely out of sprouts at one time!

Oh yes, my grandma used to do that too. But I’m not a saag fan? palak I don’t mind. 

2 minutes ago, simran345 said:

Yep we do that one too. But instead of the jeera powder, I prefer the fresh jeera. Gone off the powder, it has a weird taste. And thania powder aswell, seems different, so fresh thania is best, because at least you’ll know it’s fresh. Chop it up and put in the freezer with the adrak and mircha. But don’t put it in the ice cream dabaa ?

Yeah they can taste a bit chemically sometimes. When I was on my health mission, I used to eat a spoon of raw jeera and taniya powder with warm water! I see what you mean about fresh taniya but the powder is used to add an earthy flavour and taaja is used for that fresh flavour.

And we don't use ice cream dabaa, margarine de dabbe. Lolll

5 minutes ago, simran345 said:

Frozen works just as good.

Sorry I wasn't clear. The lightly frying and storing in the fridge wasn't for turka, just extra adkar for later. We use frozen for turka.

6 minutes ago, simran345 said:

Lol golden brown isn’t kacha. Because as you’re cooking the rest of the ingredients by adding them it will carry on cooking. Otherwise it gets quickly burnt after adding the haldi, fer siapa hojanda, if you don’t catch it in time. 

Hmm lets have a cook off and see who wins! B|

6 minutes ago, simran345 said:

An-turki lol, new word for the vocabulary. It’s very simple to make and quick too. 

Haha it's a real word! Like unparh.