Jump to content
Guest Gnostic

Why can't women do seva in Harminder Sahib?

Recommended Posts

Yes they can and there is no restriction. If any singhni jatha wants to do kirtani and they can do it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, S1ngh said:

Yes they can and there is no restriction. If any singhni jatha wants to do kirtani and they can do it.

How true is this?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest SikhGirl

I think that yes women can do seva at the Haeminder Sahib. When I went lastyear/2 years ago-i can't remember when- I saw women doing seva. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Way I see it is, everything depends on the Maryada and from when it's been followed. I don't know if what the OP is saying is true or not now, but if the rules have been stipulated and documented from Guru Ji's time then we just have to abide by them.

Controversies arise when our new age thinking and selfish thoughts think they know better than Puratan Singh's. This is why we have now have the same types questioning Hazur Sahib Maryada, Jhatka, use of jot/narial/jal at Akhand Paat etc etc

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, S1ngh said:

Yes they can and there is no restriction. If any singhni jatha wants to do kirtani and they can do it.

correction veer ji a bibi can ONLY do parkarma sewa if accompanied by a male relative and only if she wears the uniform of SGPC . This is their rules .

the washing of internal surfaces of the actual darbar room is NOT permitted if you are a female ...again their rules reason given was safaiee if cycle is occurring ...yeah I have been told this

Kirtani sewa only if allowed by SGPC - who stipulate a bibi must know 31raags of Guru ji fully and also know 100 shabads fully kant just as it is said is the rule for male kirtanias however we know that this rule has been overturned for gori Singhs and singhnian from 3ho on numerous occasions.

It was sikhnet who highlighted and encouraged a female protest a few years back . part of the divide and conquer instructions given to them by GOI

Edited by jkvlondon
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, jkvlondon said:

the washing of internal surfaces of the actual darbar room is NOT permitted if you are a female ...again their rules reason given was safaiee if cycle is occurring

J cycle nai chal reha fer v nai. Sirf 5 dina krke poore mahine vch ik din v nai kar skde.. this is not right. Now I have to take birth in a male body to do the sewa.. what to say and do about this it’s disappointing... :ehhh:

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Kaur72 said:

J cycle nai chal reha fer v nai. Sirf 5 dina krke poore mahine vch ik din v nai kar skde.. this is not right. Now I have to take birth in a male body to do the sewa.. what to say and do about this it’s disappointing... :ehhh:

what they implied is that even if she isn't how can we trust what she says , then they tried to make out it was about tempting men to misbehave (thus the male relative) They are going down the bahmin/mullah route . Besharam kisse toum da

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, jkvlondon said:

correction veer ji a bibi can ONLY do parkarma sewa if accompanied by a male relative and only if she wears the uniform of SGPC . This is their rules .

That sounds like another pilgrimage, the name of which I shall not mention here.

19 minutes ago, jkvlondon said:

the washing of internal surfaces of the actual darbar room is NOT permitted if you are a female ...again their rules reason given was safaiee if cycle is occurring ...yeah I have been told this

I don't understand this. Unless a woman is planning on menstruating all over the floor then what logic are they using exactly?

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Find or have a bibi jatha ready who will do the kirtan not one time but regularly. Last time I was in talks with them, their only complaint was there is no “regular” jatha that can come to do regular duty. There is no rule barring women to do any sewa but a reform is needed only if someone who will do sewa regularly. All sewadars are there locally.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, MrDoaba said:

correction veer ji a bibi can ONLY do parkarma sewa if accompanied by a male relative and only if she wears the uniform of SGPC . This is their rules .

Bhaenji, there is no such rule. Bibian does lot of sewa every part of the day. They start doing sewa starting at 2am. Parkarma washing starts before sunrise and many locals and non-locals participate in this sewa. None of the SGPC employees do these sewa. They only watch.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, MrDoaba said:

the washing of internal surfaces of the actual darbar room is NOT permitted if you are a female ...again their rules reason given was safaiee if cycle is occurring ...yeah I have been told this

I was once stopped to do inside sewa as it is very limited to few dedicated folks or if you know someone. The initial sewa of inside darbar sahib sewa is usually done by male members. The reason they don’t want singhni to be in there is because pajamia are not allowed while doing that sewa. Sewadars become very wet while doing sewa and dress wise only chola and kachera allowed. Time is also very tight. Also only amritdharis are allowed to do the washing sewa. Do note that bibian are sitting with the sangat (small group) of mostly 99% bibian sitting outside of Darshan deori reciting paath for hundreds of years before quar opens up for the day.

Maybe days of inside sewa should be given as “women only” or men only. I would prefer to let it stay the way it is. 

Reform is needed then they (SGPC) should allow dumalla wearing keertania to be allowed. If you are brown man and wants to do kirtan, you won’t be allowed to do in dumalla. I found this crazy rule. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Women can’t do seva for the same reason non of the 10 Guru’s were women, non of the 5 pyare were women, 15 Bhagats who have Bani in SGGS non of them are women, there’s no historical evidence that any woman was given khande batte Di pahul in 1699.... budhal dal & Hazoor Sahib still don’t! 

A number of our Gurus were given Gurgaddi at very young age.... meaning gurgaddi could be passed on to a male ‘child’ but still never a woman.

all you ‘equal rights’ banders, if you don’t like the Sikhi our Guru established please go somewhere else... stop trying to change Guru Sahibs Sikhi 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, S1ngh said:

I was once stopped to do inside sewa as it is very limited to few dedicated folks or if you know someone. The initial sewa of inside darbar sahib sewa is usually done by male members. The reason they don’t want singhni to be in there is because pajamia are not allowed while doing that sewa. Sewadars become very wet while doing sewa and dress wise only chola and kachera allowed. Time is also very tight. Also only amritdharis are allowed to do the washing sewa. Do note that bibian are sitting with the sangat (small group) of mostly 99% bibian sitting outside of Darshan deori reciting paath for hundreds of years before quar opens up for the day.

Maybe days of inside sewa should be given as “women only” or men only. I would prefer to let it stay the way it is. 

Reform is needed then they (SGPC) should allow dumalla wearing keertania to be allowed. If you are brown man and wants to do kirtan, you won’t be allowed to do in dumalla. I found this crazy rule. 

Spot on, you have to know someone, usually senior. My brother and I were lucky enough to be Giani Gurdev Singh (UK) when we got the chance to wash the inner sanctum, and it's an amazing experience. 

3HO had a lot of clout with Badals, Yogi was obviously using his wealth to buy favours so unsurprising to see them given a free pass.

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Your content will need to be approved by a moderator

Guest
You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoticons maximum are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

×