Help with gurmukhi

Guest Gnostic

Guest Gnostic

Vahe guru ji ka kalsa vahe guru ji ka fateh. 

I'm teaching myself gurmukhi slowly. What does the wale in wale satsiakal mean? I know chai wale sell tea but it must be different wale?

2 hours ago, Guest Gnostic said:

Vahe guru ji ka kalsa vahe guru ji ka fateh. 

I'm teaching myself gurmukhi slowly. What does the wale in wale satsiakal mean? I know chai wale sell tea but it must be different wale?

Chai? You said gurmuki/punjabi not hindi. Satsiakal? Ive never heard of that. Chai is chaa in punjabi. In punjabi you sai chaa wala, in hindi you say chai wala.

Guest Gnostic

Thank you for the answer. My minor typos must have obscured my intended question. 

So it's wala not wale for a person. 

I was typing on my phone. I was trying to type satsiriakal. I missed an ri in there. Did it really make the word unrecognizable? Did I offend you? Seem kind of quick to find fault with me. 

Let me rephrase my question if I may. 

Why do people say Waaaleee before satsiriakal? 

I know chai means tea. Thats why I translated chai wala as tea seller. Thank you for telling me it's chaa in punjabi. 

Guest Gnostic

Thank you for improving my understanding of spelling sat sri akal.  The wale I hear is in the intro to this song. I don't hear it used when greeting the sikhs in my community. I just say sat sri akal. 

8 minutes ago, Guest Gnostic said:

Thank you for improving my understanding of spelling sat sri akal.  The wale I hear is in the intro to this song. I don't hear it used when greeting the sikhs in my community. I just say sat sri akal.

He's saying "Bole So Nihaal Sat Sri Akaal". It's a battle cry. The "bole" part is usually stretched out.