34 minutes ago, InderjitS said:

When you say locally, you mean seena baseena, or is it recorded?

Well the story itself I believe may be recorded, you will have to get @Singh123456777 to confirm if and where, it could well be seena baseena though. It's fairly well known in Sampardaic Sikhi. There was also a discussion about Mata Ji being Mata Baala Ji of 404th Charitr. Either way, Mata Sahib Devan has a past life which directly links her to Durga Devi/Chandi Devi. Read on till the last page, and ignore the derailing:

The comment about locally was referring to folks in my locailty now believing the story wholeheartedly.

If I recall right the devi on the Nishan Sahibs wasn't Durga but just a representation of Adi-Shakti itself, rather than a certain Goddess it was simply just a form of Shakti that was put there. 

I believe some old manuscripts of Dasam Granth also have some pictures of Devi on it. 

If I recall right, Guru Sahib told us to wear the colour blue, so the question arises where the red is coming from. Wasn't red considered a big no no? especially after Baba Banda Singh Bahadur Ji's faction splitting off. Or am I getting confused again?

1 minute ago, Kira said:

If I recall right the devi on the Nishan Sahibs wasn't Durga but just a representation of Adi-Shakti itself, rather than a certain Goddess it was simply just a form of Shakti that was put there.

This is the point I was trying to make. It's what Devi represents. Similar sort of logic to what any insignia/logo represents.

3 minutes ago, Kira said:

I believe some old manuscripts of Dasam Granth also have some pictures of Devi on it. 

"The Mahants put them there"

4 minutes ago, MrDoaba said:

This is the point I was trying to make. It's what Devi represents. Similar sort of logic to what any insignia/logo represents.

"The Mahants put them there"

Bro I won't even lie, in my missionary phase I would legit have considered that possibility. 

But yeah...there's quite a few variations of Nishan Sahib going around. The present day one is just plain weird in comparison to them imo.

10 minutes ago, Kira said:

Bro I won't even lie, in my missionary phase I would legit have considered that possibility. 

But yeah...there's quite a few variations of Nishan Sahib going around. The present day one is just plain weird in comparison to them imo.

We all been there tbh. I grew up with pure Singh Sabha/Tat Khalsa ideology. But you only get so far with it, it stops making sense if you purge any and all refrences to "Hinduism". There is far too much of an overlap and far too many commonalities with Sanatan Dharam to simply deny it outright. Just how people make up facts to say Sikhs are Hindus in the wrong context, Singh Sabha/Tat Khalsa spreaded plenty of their bullsh!t too. Paranoia.

There are many versions, but if we were to have a standard one, I would vote for the one posted by OP or a new one with Suryavanshi insignia.

BTW, I'm surprised you went through a missionary phase at all! Lol

33 minutes ago, MrDoaba said:

Well the story itself I believe may be recorded, you will have to get @Singh123456777 to confirm if and where, it could well be seena baseena though. It's fairly well known in Sampardaic Sikhi. There was also a discussion about Mata Ji being Mata Baala Ji of 404th Charitr. Either way, Mata Sahib Devan has a past life which directly links her to Durga Devi/Chandi Devi.

The comment about locally was referring to folks in my locailty now believing the story wholeheartedly.

Ok having read 'some' of those pages, I'm also in agreement. I knew about Dusht Daman and that Durga went for help to Rishi to fight off the Daints, what I did not realise was that this Rishi was Sri Guru Tegh Bahadur Ji incarnate and that she would come back as the wife of Dasmesh Pita.

4 minutes ago, InderjitS said:

Ok having read 'some' of those pages, I'm also in agreement. I knew about Dusht Daman and that Durga went for help to Rishi to fight off the Daints, what I did not realise was that this Rishi was Sri Guru Tegh Bahadur Ji incarnate and that she would come back as the wife of Dasmesh Pita.

Oddly enough some believe the Dusht Daman story and know about Guru Tegh Bahadur being the Rishi, and even that Durga Devi asked for assistance, but they deny that Mata Ji was Durga Devi as if it is some conspiracy.

Hinduphobia spreads like wildfire. But they forget that technically Rishis are "Hindu" too lol.

2 minutes ago, MrDoaba said:

Oddly enough some believe the Dusht Daman story and know about Guru Tegh Bahadur being the Rishi, and even that Durga Devi asked for assistance, but they deny that Mata Ji was Durga Devi as if it is some conspiracy.

Hinduphobia spreads like wildfire. But they forget that technically Rishis are "Hindu" too lol.

nobody's hindu , rishis have their path, sadhus have their, mundhari theirs there are multiple paths which have been lumped together for convenience of manipulation . Even Guru Nanak Dev ji splits into specific groups ....it must matter ...
Mata Sahib Kaur ji is so much more than Devi ji because she is pooran Brahamgiani so app Parmeshvar .

Just now, jkvlondon said:

nobody's hindu , rishis have their path, sadhus have their, mundhari theirs there are multiple paths which have been lumped together for convenience of manipulation . Even Guru Nanak Dev ji splits into specific groups ....it must matter ...
Mata Sahib Kaur ji is so much more than Devi ji because she is pooran Brahamgiani so app Parmeshvar .

Hence the quotation marks.

Nobody is denying what you're saying phenji. Many Brahmgyani Mahapurkhs owe much of their Jeevan to Mata Ji - repeated benti after benti to Them because a mother tends to have a soft spot for her children. She was their aid in this extremely difficult path of Sikhi.

But the fact about Durga Devi still remains.

Obviously I'm not downplaying Guru Sahib before someone twists my words. If you have enough sharda to believe Mata Ji made certain things possible then great, if not then do one. < This isn't directed at you JKV.