What does the next generation need to to do?

dallysingh101

1 minute ago, jkvlondon said:

it is this sense of failing in my duties that kept me awake , I feel asleep and did namasakar of Guru ji by presenting my bow and arrows (guess this is direct message to my question) in the scene in my mind asking for Guru Sahiban blessings on doing the right thing in this life .

You're gonna make mistakes, we all are. But it's how honest we are about this and how successfully we adapt to the emerging deeper understanding from this that makes the difference. 

3 minutes ago, MrDoaba said:

Many people are opening their eyes up to previously unknown/discarded bani and puratan granths. The only problem we still have with this is they need to hear it from what they perceive to be qualified legit sources.

If you don't look the part or an individual has a preconceived opinion about you, and you mention some of this stuff to them (folks who act holier than thou), they will look at you like a fudu. Few months down the line you'll hear them repeat exactly what you told them, except they heard from a supposedly credible source. There is no trust and way too much paranoia.

I've personally been in this situation a number of times. One ridiculous time was over something as small as Singhs, and Singhnis for that matter, wearing earrings in the days of old. They did a 180 on this after hearing it elsewhere, and were even shocked to learn that the wife of an esteemed sant wore earrings. I won't name names though.

As for poor pendu Jatts (a background I am from so watch yourself :@), here's a link to a guidebook from the British Raaj, not about Jatts per se, but overall you get the gist of the attitude the whiteman had towards us:

http://access.bl.uk/item/viewer/ark:/81055/vdc_00000003545A#?c=0&m=0&s=0&cv=0&z=1109.6746%2C284.0088%2C2505.4647%2C1050.9099&xywh=-1112%2C-13%2C3983%2C2112

Kirpans these days couldn't cut a flipping potato, and the wishy washy folks are glad. The only way I see around this is having a reutable place to procure them from, who isn't out to rip you off. Maybe an offical Kirpan retailer, if all sampardas could agree to something like that in the first place. Must be someone who respects shastar they way they should be. We should all try and learn the art of sharpening/honing too, something which I'm realising is more complicated and difficult than it seems.

I can't comment on dastaar wearing bibis, although I have noticed what you're saying, they and their bache are too bholeh.

Bro, I've been after that book for like WELL over 10 years! lol (seriously)

Nice one. 

Anyway, no matter where we are now, it's never over till it's over. Change is coming. Over the next few generations we will ensure that people have a much better understanding of what they are, and how they got muppeted into believing some new 'synthetic' religion created by goray.  

One of the most significant impacts of this is that I think the 'conservatism' that strangely defines the 'respectable' community today is going to go flying out the window. This has dangers too, especially with Sikh females, some of whem struggle with self-discipline in sexual matters that leads them straight into the hands of predators. Maybe this itself is a consequence of the conservatism that I speak of anyway? We'll find out in time. 

Our work is cut out for us. We need soldier mentalities  to step up to all the work ahead of us. It's already been started. Just got to follow through now. 

It is a total embarrassment to be told about how loose apniya can be with their sexual history of past mates floating around the work place and their parents being made fun of by goreh. More worse when it is your own husband talking about what is wrong with women! !!!

I am yet to come across one lady who keeps her Kesh and is a modern one too. The aokh sentiment is expressed by them all and sikhi practised by none.

I am shocked at the ideas they have of how to present their hair. Of course Guru ji allows a bit of an error but when are we going to realise thatt its part of rehet to not go for that fancy haircut. God forbid apniya be seen in a bun... those are more for goriya these days who have longer hair than our lot and better morals sometimes though.

2 hours ago, dallysingh101 said:

Bro, I've been after that book for like WELL over 10 years! lol (seriously)

Nice one. 

Anyway, no matter where we are now, it's never over till it's over. Change is coming. Over the next few generations we will ensure that people have a much better understanding of what they are, and how they got muppeted into believing some new 'synthetic' religion created by goray.  

One of the most significant impacts of this is that I think the 'conservatism' that strangely defines the 'respectable' community today is going to go flying out the window. This has dangers too, especially with Sikh females, some of whem struggle with self-discipline in sexual matters that leads them straight into the hands of predators. Maybe this itself is a consequence of the conservatism that I speak of anyway? We'll find out in time. 

Our work is cut out for us. We need soldier mentalities  to step up to all the work ahead of us. It's already been started. Just got to follow through now. 

You're welcome! Lots of good material on there. On a side note, you wouldn't know where I could find info on a relative who served with the Brits do you? I've looked through the army lists but to no avail. It's not super important, just a personal interest. On the off chance you do know, they served in either the Siege or Relief of Chitral in the late 1800s. I only have a medal to go by.

And yeah you're spot on, I guess I went on a bit of a rant and was ignoring how much progress we've made. Puratan/Sanatan Sikhi (not the Niddar type) is picking up bigtime, and the sangat is definitely finding it more satisfying than the rigid fake Singh Sabha/SGPC one. I commend western born Taksalis on this, they're getting out of the kattar fanboy mindset. There is so much more appreciation and love for the original Sampardaic Sikhi, and of each other. No more black and white bakwaas.

Conservatism has its pros and cons. Tbh even the pros are grouped together with backwards mentality. This is simply down to ignorance. Feminism and liberalism also play a large part. Many families and individuals have found a balance with this 'conservatism', as you put it. However, the majority seem to think having gairat and izzat is irrelevant, hence my favourite word of 2017 (and probably of 2018 too) being...begairat lol.

Maharaaj kirpa karn.

On 03/01/2018 at 11:05 PM, singh598 said:

There's no Sikh youth at my local Gurdwara

it's the fault of the parents during the late eighties and nineties their kids weren't taken down to gurdwara so become balle balle shava shava crowd  and then their kids are now cocnuts ready for the plucking by opportunistic musley and angrez . Those who had solid parents , grew up in sikhi , and now still take their kids even if they are not as dyed in the wool like their maa pio (current kids grands).

The good thing is the oldies are becoming goldies because they have more access to stuff (purataan granths katha etc) now, than they did back in the day and are influencing grandkids and discussing with their adult kids....so it'll slowly come back up just need to keep spreading the knowledge and access.

the other thing that I think we need to address is the whole pacifist movement thrown upon us ....

https://www.bullshido.net/the-solution-to-bad-people-violent-is-making-good-people-better-at-violence/

On 02/01/2018 at 10:45 PM, dallysingh101 said:

Yeas, sexual matters might be referred too, as well as the use of psychotropic pharmacopoeia. People need to throw off the prudery of Victorian protestant values they've imbibed and become more worldly. 

I'm not gonna start smoking weed, bro, no matter how much it's dressed up in fancy words. Ain't happening. ?

On 1/3/2018 at 12:13 AM, MrDoaba said:

On a side note, you wouldn't know where I could find info on a relative who served with the Brits do you? I've looked through the army lists but to no avail. It's not super important, just a personal interest. On the off chance you do know, they served in either the Siege or Relief of Chitral in the late 1800s. I only have a medal to go by.

I wouldn't know but I guess contacting the Imperial War Museum might be a good start? They might be able to help direct you to the right place. 

That being said, if we don't get over this fetish of serving as sepoys in foreign armies our lot are never going to grow an independent spine. 

On 1/6/2018 at 9:47 AM, MisterrSingh said:

I'm not gonna start smoking weed, bro, no matter how much it's dressed up in fancy words. Ain't happening. ?

No one is suggesting anyone do that. Just simply open your mind up to the reality of our ancestors using certain plant based psychotropic drinks for various reasons without any hoo-ha. They obviously weren't 'useless junkies' as they managed to pull off political, social and military objectives that really were astounding. 

Maharajah Ranjit Singh is a brilliant example. I mean, by the account of his own Romanian doctor, he took a little dose of opium daily and it didn't affect his ability to create a prosperous, modern, superpower state. Kavi Santokh who wrote the now classic work Suraj Prakash was also maligned for his use of opium by the British and members of the Singh Sabha movement. Our people's hypocrisy and confusion on the matter is astounding because his (kavi Santokh's) work is still used extensively in Gurdwara katha today. There are a number of references of highly respected Singh Shaheeds taking (cannabis infused) 'sukha-nidhaan' in Sikh sources like Bhangu's Panth Prakash - let alone in independent accounts from early Europeans who were spying on the Sikh kingdom. The earliest reference I found of Khalsa opium use was in Sainapati's Sri Gursobha, which is telling, because it is purportedly a work contemporary to dasmesh pita himself by a kavi of his darbar, so if that account is true, the use of such substances have a very early provenance and wasn't some 'later corruption' as some zealots like to make out. 

It says a lot that the descendants of our people (i.e. many of us) are now in some sort of denial or disbelief or even outright angry about these things. This all ties in with the British imposed conservatism I mentioned earlier in my opinion. 

On 1/3/2018 at 11:05 PM, singh598 said:

There's no Sikh youth at my local Gurdwara

If certain 'leaders' have created a dead, conservative environment that doesn't cater to and stimulate the youth - how is that any surprise? That being said, I know there are a few Gurdwaras that are frequented by the youth, having gyms and martial arts classes (like boxing) helps big time.