Portrayal of Sikhs in Pakistani cinema

HarfunMaula

I wrote this after being on the other topic that was made regarding the negative portrayal of a Sikh woman in a Pakistani drama. Here are some of my observations over the years:

The portrayal of Sikhs in Pakistani cinema ranges from the sometimes positive to the rather often negative end of the spectrum. One of the first films to be a big hit in Pakistan was based on a fictional Sikh character during the times of partition: Kartar Singh (1959). While initially Kartar is shown as a rogue, he has a change of heart after the Muslim protagonist Umerdeen saves his life. 

Sikhs were generally shown as ill-mannered drunkards in many films, often without their turbans. Some other films with Sikh characters include Gabroo Putt Punjab De (1969), Balwant Kaur (1975), Chan Veryam (1981), Gernail Singh (1989) and so on. In Veryam (1981) they show the Muslim protagonist saving a Sikh girl from the British while all the Sikhs of the village failed to defend her (including the 'gyani'). Later she runs away to his house and converts to Islam. When her brother finds out and goes after her she gives him a whole speech of seeing the 'light' and inviting him to leave Sikhi as well, a rather demeaning scene that can be seen from 1:47:00 onwards here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9XfkiHQViLc.

One can't fail but see the constant subconscious need to show Sikh women converting to Islam, be it the films like Veryam (1981) & Larki Punjaban (2003, with a 'twist' in the end to please Sikhs) or TV Drama Bilqees Kaur (2012). Besides that the clear attempts to show the Hindus as scheming villain creating problems between Sikhs and Muslims is also seen in their films.

You have to give them credit where its due though, they made a drama on the dark periods of fake police encounters in Indian Punjab. It is called Kesri Painday. A young Pakistani Sikh was also part of the cast.

See I wrote the same thing and my thread was branded as a trolling thread ??

Here is my thread that got banned!!!

one of my Pakistani friends told me about this show and I’ve been watching it from episode 1.. it’s about a Pakistani guy who is desperate to go uk.. he is married to his cousin and eventually after many obstacles reaches uk by illegal way...

he starts working at a restaurant that is run by a sardar ji who is also a drug dealer!

its from episode 19 that I got ticked off.. there showing how sikh girls are flaunting themselves at Pakistani guys and bringing them under there spell!!

the next episode is on today, it’s uploaded already on YouTube already haven’t watched it yet...

the  characters name is Preet she is shown as promiscuous and alcoholic person who is desperately after this Pakistani guy even when she is aware he is illegal and married and has one child!! She is shown as a divorced and lonely widowed soul who has no family or real friends and she is just aimlessly sleeping around with guys and drinking booze!

The drama is basically trying to show that Sikh girls are not getting groomed but throwing themselves into such situations...

they are showing the girl as overly infatuated by this Pakistani guy and she is just dying to marry him!!

here is the link watch form episode 19... first 5 mins and then last few scenes are the most annoying...

https://youtu.be/_W4QzX92osU

The drama name is “daldal” episode 19

3 hours ago, HarfunMaula said:

I wrote this after being on the other topic that was made regarding the negative portrayal of a Sikh woman in a Pakistani drama. Here are some of my observations over the years:

The portrayal of Sikhs in Pakistani cinema ranges from the sometimes positive to the rather often negative end of the spectrum. One of the first films to be a big hit in Pakistan was based on a fictional Sikh character during the times of partition: Kartar Singh (1959). While initially Kartar is shown as a rogue, he has a change of heart after the Muslim protagonist Umerdeen saves his life. 

Sikhs were generally shown as ill-mannered drunkards in many films, often without their turbans. Some other films with Sikh characters include Gabroo Putt Punjab De (1969), Balwant Kaur (1975), Chan Veryam (1981), Gernail Singh (1989) and so on. In Veryam (1981) they show the Muslim protagonist saving a Sikh girl from the British while all the Sikhs of the village failed to defend her (including the 'gyani'). Later she runs away to his house and converts to Islam. When her brother finds out and goes after her she gives him a whole speech of seeing the 'light' and inviting him to leave Sikhi as well, a rather demeaning scene that can be seen from 1:47:00 onwards here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9XfkiHQViLc.

One can't fail but see the constant subconscious need to show Sikh women converting to Islam, be it the films like Veryam (1981) & Larki Punjaban (2003, with a 'twist' in the end to please Sikhs) or TV Drama Bilqees Kaur (2012). Besides that the clear attempts to show the Hindus as scheming villain creating problems between Sikhs and Muslims is also seen in their films.

You have to give them credit where its due though, they made a drama on the dark periods of fake police encounters in Indian Punjab. It is called Kesri Painday. A young Pakistani Sikh was also part of the cast.

Hmm you have lots of knowledge of this issue, I thought it was a new thing! I was aware that Hindus protray us as alcoholics or joker type people but wasn’t aware of this type of media from Pakistani community... maybe cause I don’t watch there media...

does make you wonder what is the purpose/ agenda to such media...??

what exactly is the message they want to get across with such dramas?

Inferiority complex, in one of their films they were saying Sikhs are the bravest 'qaum'  and only ones who can compete with Muslims - don't remember the title, it was set in the British India times. 

Besides that just religious extremism whereby they want others to convert to Islam. They always try it in one way or another,  I've seen quite a few Pakistanis claiming their ancestors embraced Islam by leaving Sikhi and so on.

2 hours ago, HarfunMaula said:

Inferiority complex, in one of their films they were saying Sikhs are the bravest 'qaum'  and only ones who can compete with Muslims - don't remember the title, it was set in the British India times. 

Besides that just religious extremism whereby they want others to convert to Islam. They always try it in one way or another,  I've seen quite a few Pakistanis claiming their ancestors embraced Islam by leaving Sikhi and so on.

yep I have had that experience and I've said not true else you would not have your goth attached to your name ...you are progeny of hindus who lie to save face.

On 12/28/2017 at 7:57 PM, HarfunMaula said:

I'm pretty sure some Sikhs who were rich land and shop owners did convert to Islam rather than leave their rich lands when partition happened in 1947. Those were the weak Sikhs that had no love for sikhi the patiaila captain amrinder and badal family types who would sell their own mothers than face the enemies of Sikhi head on.

The weakness is not with pakistani muslims.....the weakness is with our kaum not creating media propaganda of muslims converting to Sikhi or teaching our youth and people we must convert others to Sikhi in order to be saved in the next life. We are in s state of wishy washy denial not helped by the manhat freemasons running SGPC.

1 hour ago, superkaur said:

I'm pretty sure some Sikhs who were rich land and shop owners did convert to Islam rather than leave their rich lands when partition happened in 1947. Those were the weak Sikhs that had no love for sikhi the patiaila captain amrinder and badal family types who would sell their own mothers than face the enemies of Sikhi head on.

The weakness is not with pakistani muslims.....the weakness is with our kaum not creating media propaganda of muslims converting to Sikhi or teaching our youth and people we must convert others to Sikhi in order to be saved in the next life. We are in s state of wishy washy denial not helped by the manhat freemasons running SGPC.

You might be surprised to learn that it were the poorest who left Sikhi during partition and stayed back in Pakistan. And their religion of choice was not Islam but Christianity. No doubt some did convert to Islam, just like a few especially poor Muslims became Sardars overnight in our Punjab.

There was a Pakistani Punjabi author named Afzal Ahsan Randhawa, he claimed to be a descendant of Baba Buddha. He wrote an emotional Punjabi poem after Blue Star on his agony after hearing the news.

Anyways my point was about the Pakistanis falsely claiming their ancestors were Sikh as a dawah tactic which I've seen quite often.

Agree with your second paragraph.