Celebrating the birth of Jesus

Big_Tera

7 minutes ago, jkvlondon said:

because you are following the crowd for no other reason than to fit into the flock , frankly I am a human gifted with a brain by Akal Purakh it would ingratitude to switch it off and do something I would regret later in Dargah ... no human can help or answer for me ... especially when I do not believe in all those faiths. Next you'll be saying you'd keep roza during ramadan because you are in a muslim dominant country under that train of logic...it's a slippery slope off the edge of sikhi

We're not gonna agree on the first point you made so leave that one there.

As for the roza comment, well I deliberately picked fesitvals which are celebrated by all, including the non-religious despite having religious or spirtual origins. To point out that it's just a generic celebration, just like Christmas is.

6 minutes ago, jkvlondon said:

how about getting the basic information and facts of history and Gurbani out so they all know which way is up before they decide how religious they are....

I do as much as I can do when given the oppurtunity. Rest is not up to me. Baki Rabb Jaane.

On 26/12/2017 at 11:48 AM, singhunit said:

Fateh

I have a tree for my children and no I am not a cocount. 

My children know their history but I also want them to integrate with their community, children at school etc. Yes I buy them also gift from santa as that's what they still believe in.

This is what I see with Muslims - so secluded from rest of the country/community that they live in - they think it's their way or the he highway.

Get the balance right.

Bhul chuk maaf

In another topic you said the following about the children of Sri Guru Gobind Singh Ji, who wanted to have more Shastar on them in a Gurdwara:

Even if he did make sangat take off 'bigger shaster'....fair play to him for taking a stand. You expect him to not be cautious after his own 'Sikh' brothers trying to kill him? P.s can you tell me 1 thing you have done for the panth

so you don't want children of Sri Guru Gobind Singh ji to practice keeping shastar as directed by Sri Guru Gobind Singh ji.  But you will go against gurmat to make your children happy and not feel left out.  Sri Guru Gobind Singh ji made it clear not to celebrate Holi and to celebrate Holla Maholla.  Don't throw color on each other.  Practice Shastar vidiya.  Also how do you celebrate Christmas when the Khalsa panth is remembering the shaheeds and focused on Sri Guru Gobind Singh ji gurpurab. Talk about not knowing your Sikh history.

9 hours ago, Big_Tera said:

Its about seting a good example to the youngsters. Kids are like sponges they absorb everything around them. If all the have is Christmas celebration and easter celebration. and no teaching or celebration of their own faith. 

how will these kids end up 5 10 years down the line. we are already seeing many of our youth becoming christian. yet the liberal fatsos. wont have it any other way.  They want to surround the impressionable youth with Christmas festivities. then when the same kids lose all belief in their own religion and go to other faiths. they cry. 

What may seem harmless to an adult is completely different to a child growing up. we must not send them confusing messages at this early age.

is it any wonder why alot of punjabis are the laughing stock. the have been brought up with zero knowledge of their own faith. yet plenty abut the virgin mary and jesus, presents, santa ect. its time to wake up and smell the coffee. dont bury your head in the sand. 

PUTARAYO

Is celebrating Christmas among Punjabis/Sikhs/South Asians common in the UK? Because I feel it’s a UK thing as it is really rare to celebrate Christmas for South Asians (except the Christian SA) in the Americas. Here we don’t know two hoots about Jesus, other than the fact that he was nailed to a cross. No tree, no gift giving, no special dinners, none of that is done here among our community. Sure kids wait in anticipation for Santa Claus, but they never have a clue about the religious significance of the day. Do British schools enforce Christian teachings in the classroom and is it compulsory?

We're complaining that our children, and adults for that matter, don't celebrate our own festivals or occasions. Why is that?

It's because there is no formalised celebration(s). There is no ritual involved, no symbolism, no set traditions, no outward celebration. There is not really any sense of belonging, togetherness, or that community atmosphere. Just a trip to the Gurdwara, and in many cases the ensuing guilt trip by the Kathakaars. Constant condescension and pessimism doesn't get us anywhere. We're worse than the Catholic Church!

It's all well and good to bang on about inward reflection, everyday is the same, what the day really means, Guru Sahibs message etc etc etc, but the fact is though we are human, and humans need ritual to some extent, need order, some kind of structure.

Majority of kids couldn't care less about what the day means, they need it to have some significance on a more basic level, then when they are older naturally they will inquire about the day, find out the true meaning. Even adults need this to some degree.

The biggest and most popular festival on the Sikh calendar is Diwali (whether you like it or not). Ever wondered why that is??? Oh I forgot some people are also trying eradicate any fun and excitement from that too.

This is where the anti-ritual, anti-imagery, and Hinduphobic attitude has landed us.

5 hours ago, MrDoaba said:

We're complaining that our children, and adults for that matter, don't celebrate our own festivals or occasions. Why is that?

It's because there is no formalised celebration(s). There is no ritual involved, no symbolism, no set traditions, no outward celebration. There is not really any sense of belonging, togetherness, or that community atmosphere. Just a trip to the Gurdwara, and in many cases the ensuing guilt trip by the Kathakaars. Constant condescension and pessimism doesn't get us anywhere. We're worse than the Catholic Church!

It's all well and good to bang on about inward reflection, everyday is the same, what the day really means, Guru Sahibs message etc etc etc, but the fact is though we are human, and humans need ritual to some extent, need order, some kind of structure.

Majority of kids couldn't care less about what the day means, they need it to have some significance on a more basic level, then when they are older naturally they will inquire about the day, find out the true meaning. Even adults need this to some degree.

The biggest and most popular festival on the Sikh calendar is Diwali (whether you like it or not). Ever wondered why that is??? Oh I forgot some people are also trying eradicate any fun and excitement from that too.

This is where the anti-ritual, anti-imagery, and Hinduphobic attitude has landed us.

no one is the same or worse than the catholics ...we have no priesthoods, celibate worship, idol worship, personal aggrandisment in the eyes of sangat or rampant child abuse ...so please not draw such comparisons .

we have mela , nagar kirtans, gatka displays, hola mohalla, dussehra , smagams galore, loads of celebrations maybe you have chosen to forget those

the rehit gives structure and rhythm to our lives via habit , the gratitude attitude becomes a habit as does the naam in our hearts, listening to great kirtan opens our minds and souls to the beauty in the cosmos , develops our brains frequencies and processing powers ...kids are IGNORANT until informed so saying what you said makes no real point ...

I knew about christianity because our primary school used to read parables to us each assembley and we used to sing hymns, do the nativity at christmas , but the fact that my parents also told me about Guru Nanak Dev ji and all Guru Sahiban via sakian which was similar but yet more appealing because they were instantly more relatable, caring and loving than these preachy sermons . Kids respond to what they know of Akal Purakh in their hearts and the bible/Torah/quran/vedas/geeta/shastras can never come closer. Guru Sahiban even gave us the formula of how to get the kids into Sikhi but we still won't do it - just tell them the history and sakhian of their spiritual ancestors

2 hours ago, jkvlondon said:

no one is the same or worse than the catholics ...we have no priesthoods, celibate worship, idol worship, personal aggrandisment in the eyes of sangat or rampant child abuse ...so please not draw such comparisons .

Priesthood in Sikhi is Sants, Babe, Gyanis or we can continue being in denial. There are plenty of Sikhs who practise Brahmachari. Ok fine we do not have idol worship per se. Personal aggrandisement is aplenty. There is child abuse but not on the scale as the Catholic Church - sure it was DDT who was guilty of this (ironically the ones who think they are bajjar-kurehatproof but like to point fingers at everyone else)

Btw I apologise I wasn't clearer, that sentence was not meant to define the whole paragraph rather the guilt trip remark.

we have mela , nagar kirtans, gatka displays, hola mohalla, dussehra , smagams galore, loads of celebrations maybe you have chosen to forget those

In India these are probabaly great. Here is the west you cannot say the same. I'm sorry to say but personally I believe Nagar Kirtans are a huge waste of time here, albeit not in every city but the majority are. Mele and Gatka displays are generally part of Nagar Kirtans.

the rehit gives structure and rhythm to our lives via habit , the gratitude attitude becomes a habit as does the naam in our hearts, listening to great kirtan opens our minds and souls to the beauty in the cosmos , develops our brains frequencies and processing powers ...kids are IGNORANT until informed so saying what you said makes no real point ...

I see your point but I feel it is actually well off point in regards to the topic being discussed. I'm talking about festivals/days of celebrations, not day to day.

What you're describing is probably true for 1% of those who follow Rehat, apart from that it's just idealism.

Yes kids are ignorant, that was my point, they are ignorant to the facts, hence, everything I said in my post.

I knew about christianity because our primary school used to read parables to us each assembley and we used to sing hymns, do the nativity at christmas , but the fact that my parents also told me about Guru Nanak Dev ji and all Guru Sahiban via sakian which was similar but yet more appealing because they were instantly more relatable, caring and loving than these preachy sermons . Kids respond to what they know of Akal Purakh in their hearts and the bible/Torah/quran/vedas/geeta/shastras can never come closer. Guru Sahiban even gave us the formula of how to get the kids into Sikhi but we still won't do it - just tell them the history and sakhian of their spiritual ancestors

This all makes sense although, again, I do not see how it relates to the matter being discussed. I'm talking about formal celebration of the day itself, traditions! Something to mark the day. Sikhs as a whole do not have enthusiasm when it comes to their own celebrations. Then we b!tch and moan when kids don't know about it, or don't want to celebrate it, or when the day in question is sidelined because it is perceived as boring - Sakhis and Ithiaas only go so far.

3 minutes ago, MrDoaba said:

Priesthood in Sikhi is Sants, Babe, Gyanis or we can continue being in denial. There are plenty of Sikhs who practise Brahmachari. Ok fine we do not have idol worship per se. Personal aggrandisement is aplenty. There is child abuse but not on the scale as the Catholic Church - sure it was DDT who was guilty of this (ironically the ones who think they are bajjar-kurehatproof but like to point fingers at everyone else)

Btw I apologise I wasn't clearer, that sentence was not meant to define the whole paragraph rather the guilt trip remark.

In India these are probabaly great. Here is the west you cannot say the same. I'm sorry to say but personally I believe Nagar Kirtans are a huge waste of time here, albeit not in every city but the majority are. Mele and Gatka displays are generally part of Nagar Kirtans.

I see your point but I feel it is actually well off point in regards to the topic being discussed. I'm talking about festivals/days of celebrations, not day to day. What you're describing is probably true for 1% of those who follow Rehat, apart from that it's just idealism.

Yes kids are ignorant, that was my point, they are ignorant to the facts, hence, everything I said in my post.

This all makes sense although, again, I do not see how it relates to the matter being discussed. I'm talking about formal celebration of the day itself, traditions! Something to mark the day. Sikhs as a whole do not have enthusiasm when it comes to their own celebrations. Then we b!tch and moan when kids don't know about it, or don't want to celebrate it, or when the day in question is sidelined because it is perceived as boring - Sakhis and Ithiaas only go so far.

all this is relating to the subject of the pushing away of our faith to replace it with others celebrations , we have the tech to fix it but until we get skates under the committe vale who are dragging sikhi off road  and ensure our kids have knowledge and opportunity to do sewa , sing kirtan (love to be up there much better than britain's got talent), lead congregation in Ardas , Parshad vartouna etc etc .

a Granthi is just a sikh who has decided to do hazoori sewa , technically anyone can do the job, Sants are not of any official roles despite what Indians want us to believe , Sant Samaj is full of people who acted really dodgy during the protests against Guru ji's beadbhi...Giani/sant are ACTUALLY defined in Gurbani and these people mostly don't approach that level.

Sikhi is flat hierarchy under Guru Granth Sahib ji /Akal Purakh anyone claiming otherwise is lying

ensure our kids have knowledge and opportunity to do sewa , sing kirtan (love to be up there much better than britain's got talent), lead congregation in Ardas , Parshad vartouna etc etc .

This is an excellent point. We have very little involvement in terms of worship. We certainly do not make people feel as if they are taking part/getting involved or help them connect on a personal level. It's not just down to the committee vale though, the other barrier is the Rehit Police. Practically need a background check to take part in anything. As a teenager and when I was a mona, I used to go to a smaller Gurdwara (Ravidassi), and the Granthis used to ask me to vartao prasaad if there was no one there to do it. Even then I was like "what me? Are you sure?", but at the same time I felt so happy, felt a part of the Gurdwara, felt a connection. I also found it ironic that the people who have faced the most discrimination in our qaum did not discriminate against me, caste or Sikhi wise.

a Granthi is just a sikh who has decided to do hazoori sewa , technically anyone can do the job, Sants are not of any official roles despite what Indians want us to believe , Sant Samaj is full of people who acted really dodgy during the protests against Guru ji's beadbhi...Giani/sant are ACTUALLY defined in Gurbani and these people mostly don't approach that level.

Sikhi is flat hierarchy under Guru Granth Sahib ji /Akal Purakh anyone claiming otherwise is lying

I actually said Gyani, as in those who are given that title, Kathakaars and such. And yeah what you're saying is right, but I'm saying what the situation is; we have a de facto hierarchy.