Sikhs and celebration?

S1ngh

1 hour ago, MrDoaba said:

What about on Guru Arjan Dev Ji's Shaheedi Divas?

Do I have to mention every single shaheedi?

1 hour ago, MrDoaba said:

What better way to mark shaheedi month by saying "oye saaleyo we're still around, and Chardi Kala!!!".

How can u say Khalsa Panth is in chardi kalah. Nihangs and some other Sikhs are converting into Christianity.. this is what chardi kalah is for u? and there are Sikhs here who are “celebrating” this day with songs on and with no emotions in their heart and going to Anandpur Sahib but u can tell they’ve no emotion or a feel of gratitude and everyone is included in this not only youngsters. I don’t support this kind of celebrations.. these days are for remembrance. im proud of what they did for us but that doesn’t mean we should only think about celebrating it and not think about the other side how mehngi sikhi we got on which cost. Of course they are in high spirits don’t denying anything but still think about it with slightly different perspective as well.

48 minutes ago, Kaur72 said:

Do I have to mention every single shaheedi?

My point was that technically we celebrate Guru Arjan Dev Ji's Shaheedi, do we not?

Nihangs and some other Sikhs are converting into Christianity.. this is what chardi kalah is for u?

This is a seperate issue.

and there are Sikhs here who are “celebrating” this day with songs on and with no emotions in their heart and going to Anandpur Sahib but u can tell they’ve no emotion or a feel of gratitude and everyone is included in this not only youngsters. 

I have not seen any such thing. Are you sure they're not celebrating Prakash Utsav?

I don’t support this kind of celebrations

Neither do I. I didn't say this is how we should celebrate it. In fact you seemed to have missed the entire crux of my post.

im proud of what they did for us but that doesn’t mean we should only think about celebrating it and not think about the other side how mehngi sikhi we got on which cost.

We all are proud. All I was saying is we should celebrate it, and the other side of it by displaying Miri-Piri however we can. Be it Nagar Kirtans, Jorh Mele, Gatka (and Jhatka) Displays, practising and demonstrating the concept of Degh and Tegh - it's showing who we are. And showing we are Chardi Kala. Very loud and proud. Instead of being sad and down, and in state of avsource. If anything we should cry tears of joy that we are so blessed to have such a Father, who's actions are unparalleled throughout the history of this world.

Plus people would be sh!t scared of Singhs and Singhnis who are celebrating Shaheedi and death. It will teach them not to mess with us. I personally wouldn't mess with a bunch of people who loudly sing hymns and show their martial prowess while commemorating Shaheedi and death. And also feeding a bunch of people. It would capture our essence.

I think Maharaaj would be happy with this. That His Sikhs are practising and displaying the very thing He gave up his family for.

Of course they are in high spirits don’t denying anything but still think about it with slightly different perspective as well.

I know you are Phenji. I was just giving my two pence worth. Bhul chuk maaf karna jio if I said anything wrong.

4 hours ago, MrDoaba said:

This is a seperate issue.

How is this is a separate issue? Today we are talking about shaheedi and for what they gave their heads because they didn’t accept Islam.. I don’t think it’s a separate issue. 

4 hours ago, MrDoaba said:

I was saying is we should celebrate it, and the other side of it by displaying Miri-Piri however we can. Be it Nagar Kirtans, Jorh Mele, Gatka (

And yes this is what we should be doing rather thn taking sikhi for granted.. I know the positive side that ur talking about.. that’s included when u remember the day,  how Aurangzeb tortured chote shaibzade.. the tears that come down from the eyes are of proud and  grief  at the same time but not joy.. not for me.. and I don’t think we need to scare anyone or anyone should get scared from us because we celebrate shaheedi diwas that’s not what our gurus taught us.. to scare anyone.. scared and feeling of proud in a positive way are two separate things.. thanks ji

On 25/12/2017 at 5:26 AM, MrDoaba said:

My point was that technically we celebrate Guru Arjan Dev Ji's Shaheedi, do we not?

I don't think we do to be honest.

I would say that we commemorate it, or at least that's what I think we do. To say that we celebrate it carries the wrong kind of connotations for this pivotal moment in Sikh history, and is imho inaccurate.

The whole month of June in particular is shahadat da mahina. In this month, I salute the heroic nature of their selfless sacrifices, their defiance of state tyranny, and their defence of Gurbani and Guru Panth. I remember Pancham Patshah Guru Arjan Dev Ji, Banda Singh Ji Bahadur, Sant Jarnail Singh Ji Khalsa Bhindranwale, Bhai Amrik Singh Ji, General Subheg Singh Ji and the 1984 Shaheeds. I pay respect to the way they all stared down the barrel of death without fear.

I don't however think I could honestly say that I celebrate the shahadat of my Guru Ji or thousands of innocent pilgrims. To say that we celebrate these events, in the manner that others might celebrate festivals, weddings and birthdays (although I know you're not suggesting that), is a bit of a stretch. We don't necessarily have to be sad, but one can vow vengeance on one's enemies.

I think the best way to really "celebrate" all the Shaheeds is to remember them, never forget them, bow down to their selfless sacrifices, and disseminate as much information as we can about them so that we can prepare and train current and future generations for the difficulties that lie ahead, in order that they can follow in the footsteps of the Shaheeds and their sacrifices that we commemorate.

1 hour ago, jashb said:

I don't think we do to be honest.

I would say that we commemorate it, or at least that's what I think we do. To say that we celebrate it carries the wrong kind of connotations for this pivotal moment in Sikh history, and is imho inaccurate.

Yeah I get what you're saying.  I was referring to Chabeel Day - one (who isn't already informed) wouldn't assume this is a commemoration of martyrdom. If that makes sense. It's not a typical way you would "celebrate" Shaheedi.

Comes down to semantics I guess, the word celebrate has wide connotations. I didn't mean celebrate in the sense like "jashan manauna". Although you could take it to mean a celebration of revolution.

One thing I have noticed is a difference in emotions/reactions to majority of Shaheedi's compared with those that took place in December. This may be unrelated to the points I made though.

On 24/12/2017 at 7:46 PM, S1ngh said:

So, when we say - shaheedi month December - ppl say refrain from doing any happy event. This trend is picking up. Are we wrong?

Yes we should be saying do more sakhi sharing , more post Guru Gobind SIngh ji itihaas of the Khalsa  - because a lot of people do not know the circumstances of Guru Pita ji's Akhri hukham and the manner in which he passed after telling his Gursikh to NOT cry . It is this exact lack of history knowledge that nakli gurus take advantadge of .

People do not know the sakhi of the prem Guru Pita ji had for his Khalsa above blood relations

People do not know the night before at Chamkaur Sahib how Guru ji tended to his children whilst they slept...how much love  he showed

People do not Know about Bibi Harsharan Kaur at age sixteen going onto Battlefield and doing antim sanskar of vadde sahibzahidey and Singh who were shaheed and also fighting and giving shaheedi herself after this sewa.

people don't recognise the little people who sacrificed everything just to do sewa of chotte sahibzahide and Mata Gujri ji

People think of Mata Gujri as a frail typical punjabi Granny , but history shows how strong she was mentally, spiritually and physically  to look after sangat for years as they came to see her Mother in Law in Pind , whilst Guru Teg Bahadur ji was doing his  bhagti . Dealt with the death of her husband and remained aware and available for sangat and her Son .

we need to highlight the unflinching strength and true nature of Chardi Kala  based on the knowledge of why we should be free from attachments to outcomes as instructed in Gurbani. POH should be an Inspirational month to give a boost to chardikala to truly feel how much our GurPita ji and older brothers love us all. An anchor to our roots ....

On 23/12/2017 at 5:16 PM, S1ngh said:

Are there any difference of birth/death programs that we keep in our dharam? We do akhand patth and I don’t see any difference as they all are same. Gurbani, kirtan, katha, langar. Only difference is the end part of the ardas which highlights the program. So there is no difference between happy/sad?

there is a quote from the mughal chroniclers pointing out exactly that , whether birth, marriage, joyous occasion, illness, or death are all the same to Gursikh - shukrana di ardas, hukamnama and karah...