superkaur

How do you prevent your sibling or offspring following another religion or none?

Say you have a young brother or sister or you have your own kids...

How would you stop or guide them from converting to another religion or leaving Sikhi altogether and become atheist?

In Islam and christianity the kids are brainwashed quite heavily against leaving the faith which would mean eternal hellfire for the disbeliever and only path to salvation is following that faith.

Does Sikhi have anything like that in scriptures which we should be teaching our people so that they do not take lightly the thought of leaving the protection and beauty of Sikhi. I know there is verses which state without the Guru there is no salvation (of the soul) in this life...

Edited by superkaur

3 hours ago, superkaur said:

How would you stop or guide them from converting to another religion or leaving Sikhi altogether and become atheist?

In Islam and christianity the kids are brainwashed quite heavily against leaving the faith which would mean eternal hellfire for the disbeliever and only path to salvation is following that faith.

Does Sikhi have anything like that in scriptures which we should be teaching our people so that they do not take lightly the thought of leaving the protection and beauty of Sikhi. I know there is verses which state without the Guru there is no salvation (of the soul) in this life...

I don't know how to stop someone from being an Atheist.  However, if they're converting to another religion, point out how stupid that other religion is.  Have them compare both faiths and traditions thoroughly.  Look at both critique and merit.  Evaluate each faith.     Plain and simple.

4 hours ago, superkaur said:

Show them the Anti - Conversion videos by Jagraj Singh and equip them with Sikhi knowledge. 

Edited by simran345
Added video

Great responses, I worry a little that the new generation in our kaum are not prepared for the ideological competing tsumani's that faces their minds once they have access to the internet and are old enough to decide what to believe in.

There was a time where people in our kaum were insulated and isolated from the various religious groups trying to convert them to their religion so they didnt have to worry about their identity or belief system. But now its all in their face if not at school, college or uni then at workplace or on social media and the internet in general. If its not abrahmics trying to groom and convert them then its the sly atheist's trying to put all the blame of crimes of few religioius nutjobs (usually Muslim) on all religions or on God.

We do have basics of Sikhi and others who have tried to help combat this propaganda from other ideologies and to stay strong in Sikhi however it I feel is not enough we should not and can not reply on one group on the internet to hold the fort for the Sikh camp. We need ourselves to be the forts to keep Sikhs strong in their faith and to spread it so others may convert also.

I say this because low self esteem young people of various backgrounds are searching for what they believe in and are being groomed to different paths by various very slick and sly propaganda campaigns for the soul reason of converting people to their faiths mostly done by christian and islamic groups.

In my view Sikhi holds the answers to all the questions that life's great mysteries and questions holds, it is a perfect system and belief system. Yet the knowledge is not shared or weaponised for maximum effect to help sikh minds who may have been groomed to other belief systems.

So for example I came across alot of lilly liberal Sikhs who say all religions teach the same thing. So I ask them so if they all teach the same thing converting to anther religion is not a problem right? Then some of them argue and some say yes no problem at all. Then I ask them ok if all religions are the same then why the need for creation of Sikhi? Why the sacrifices of so many heroic Sikhs and our beloved Guru's if all religions are the same and it didnt matter if they converted? They usually dont have an answer then..... and thats where their lack of knowledge of Sikhi has actually for all those years made them think Sikhi was ok with you converting to other faiths... or marrying someone of a different faith was ok.... or worshipping idols/photo's is ok .... or sikhs not allowed to eat meat...or believing our Guru's were God's.

It is such misconceptions of Sikhi and ignorance that made them potential easy targets for grooming by other religions for conversion. The people in our kaum in generations past thought converting to another faith was akin to suicide, or so taboo it was unheard of to even think it. But nowadays people are free and open minded thinking everything is possible its all allowed.... because they have not been taught to obey the guru because the guru is the one that will save your soul in the after life. Not the middle eastern white man jesus who died on the cross and couldnt save himself or his followers at the time from being killed by the romans, not profit muhammad who committed countless crimes against women and non-believers that he couldnt save himself from being poisoned by bibi ayesha and wont be able to save himself on judgement day let alot anyone else through intercession and not the man made hindu idols who cant even save themselves from breaking how they gonna help you in your life troubles, not the buddha cos to his theory there was no God not atheism because according to their idiotic ideology and leading figures nothing can come out of nothing so nothing created the big bang and the universe. So Sikhi is the perfect belief system but it needs to be interpreted and message conveyed properly so that our youth are not ignorant and are strong and confident in their belief whenever a non-believer tries to groom them away from the Guru.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

12 hours ago, superkaur said:

Everyone's free to do what they want. 

The Gurus never Stopped anyone or pushed anyone to believe anything. They respected everyone's choice to believe what they chose. They just taught. 

All u can do is teach. U never push anyone to do or believe anything, that's completely contrary to the Gurus teachings of religious tolerance. 

Edited by LightofNaam

16 hours ago, TejS said:

Simple reason is you can’t and you shouldn’t.

But that’s only an option if you’ve thoroughly taught your children from a very early age about Sikhi. And I mean sit down and explain everything you yourself know to the children about Sikhi. My parents did this and naturally as I grew I began to compare the religion to other religious systems, and I realized the flaws they had and realized that Sikhi was best for me. Most Sikh youth get swayed by other religious converters because parents didn’t bother to impart Sikhi properly to children. Forcing your child to grow kes isn’t teaching our kids Sikhi. Telling them the meaning, importance behind it, and encouraging them to grow kes is what leads to teaching Sikhi.

And if there’s someone who is willing to change religion for marrying someone, then no matter how many threats and fears you throw at the person, like Muslims do, will not make them realize and accept the religion. In fact you will be subjecting that individual to a life of misery and lie.

And if someone has decided that religion is not something they want in their life at all, you can’t stop them either.

And if someone has decided that God does not exist at all, then you once again cannot stop them. 

Those last two decisions are extreme and are usually undeterred by any means of persuasion.

But by imparting Sikhi to our children, those who are most likely to follow a religion will follow Sikhi and will not be easily swayed to convert.

But then again this is all a matter of ethics, morals and perspectives. Someone might rather wish to be gifted 72 virgin females in heaven rather than be absorbed back into the Creator. 

I like this answer. God will grace somebody in their Hukam. 

16 hours ago, LightofNaam said:

Everyone's free to do what they want. 

The Gurus never Stopped anyone or pushed anyone to believe anything. They respected everyone's choice to believe what they chose. They just taught. 

All u can do is teach. U never push anyone to do or believe anything, that's completely contrary to the Gurus teachings of religious tolerance. 

Not push but provide assertive guidance. Sikhi is unique from other religions, if you read SGGS Ji you will see Guru Ji rejects the islamic and hindu rituals.... and speaks out against those inhumane rituals and practices and other social ill's of humanity. Is that religious tolerance? Some may say in today's snowflake westernised societies that is not tolerant and that is outspoken teachings and offending speech that may rock the boat.

Edited by superkaur
  • Like 1

Guru's Sikhs weren't Lilly liberal idiots that most Sikhs are today. The Guru's Sikhs of the past knew other religions were false and only Sikhi was worthy of being followed. Yes some of the religious scriptures in books of other religions are not false because they provide historical and religious context of how beliefs evolved but other religions are false because as gurbani said without the guru your soul will not be saved in this world......So we need to ask what has changed?

What has changed is what is being taught in our households, online (social media / websites) and religious institutions....from my assessment it seems there's no passion, there is no conviction, no inspiring speeches in English, no fight left in them..... the granthi's and the preachers are too softly spoken like hippys not enough assertive no nonsense and passionate preaching.

Edited by superkaur
  • Like 1

19 hours ago, superkaur said:

Not push but provide assertive guidance. Sikhi is unique from other religions, if you read SGGS Ji you will see Guru Ji rejects the islamic and hindu rituals.... and speaks out against those inhumane rituals and practices and other social ill's of humanity. Is that religious tolerance? Some may say in today's snowflake westernised societies that is not tolerant and that is outspoken teachings and offending speech that may rock the boat.

I agree with most of what you're saying but they're not forcing people to change religions etc. They're just speaking the Truth Fearlessly. No matter what the cost, we're always meant to speak the Truth. Sikhs we're tortured because of their unwillingness to lie and their loyalty to God. 

When it comes to forcing or pressuring someone that's not right, that's intolerance. You can call someone a fool when they're a fool without doing it in anger and without needing anything from anyone. Whether we practice Truth or not makes no different to God, He's already winning. 

And the losers lose as He Wills it. 

I think one aspect we may be ignoring is the social structures in our grandparents (the 1947 generation ) and parents (1984 generation). Strong immediate  family ties and strong extended family ties.  Large large families with lots of chachas tayeas bhuas fufars mamas mamis. Several dozen cousins closer than present day siblings. Plus the village pind structure acting like one big family. 

There simply was no room for abandoning sikhi.

I think we need to bring back our big family structure. We all need to contribute 😉

The smaller our families. The more isolated and prone to disseention.

Edited by Jai Tegang!
  • Thanks 1