Whats the viability of British pro-EU Sikhs moving to Ireland?

superkaur

When the UK eventually brexists and leaves the European Union in 2019 the closet UK like and english speaking nation would be Ireland which would be remanining in the EU.

Many British Sikhs who want to be part of the EU may want to relocate and migrate to the republic of Ireland.

So does anyone what is the viability of doing so?

Are there many Sikhs in ireland?

Are there Gurdwara's there?

What are the employment prospects for ethnic/religious minorities?

15 minutes ago, superkaur said:

So does anyone what is the viability of doing so?

Are there many Sikhs in ireland?

Are there Gurdwara's there?

What are the employment prospects for ethnic/religious minorities?

I've looked into this before.

As far as I know British Citizens enjoy pretty much the same rights in Ireland as they do at home. You're entitled to most freedoms as Irish Citizens are - healthcare, education, benefits. This predates European Law.

I don't think there's many Sikhs but there's probably at least one Gurdwara.

As for employment prospects, it most likely depends on which sector you plan on working in. There will be some discrimination, Ireland is predominantly white and they have a strong Catholic identity, even the non-religious, so some form of (institutional) racism presumably still lingers. However, they have worked hard to modernising society in general and some immigrant communities have settled. I get the impression they're not particularly keen on the British, although I may be stereotyping somewhat.

I guess there is some correlation between the Irish independence struggle and that of Sikhs.

The treaty we have with Ireland should still stand post-Brexit (hopefully) should you choose to relocate.

Tiocfaidh ár lá!

3 minutes ago, MrDoaba said:

I guess there is some correlation between the Irish independence struggle and that of Sikhs.

Its strange to me that not many Sikhs migrated to Ireland during the Indian independence struggle or during the Sikh independence struggles of 80s to present times. The UK racist ruling establishment being an enemy to both Sikh and Irish  reunification independence interests then naturally Ireland should have been a great place to launch the movement independence movements against foreign rule yet Sikhs chose to do so in the same country (united kingdom) the occupying power and opposer of self-determination instead.

Pro-EU Sikhs should definitely look at moving on mass to Ireland it will also strengthen our community's hand in our own Sikh Independence movement.

Since the Brexit referendum there has been a net migration from the EU by 124K according to official figures. 

There is going to be very little migration by Pro -EU Sikhs from UK into the EU. 

Reality is that the UK is the go to destination for Sikhs who first go into the EU and become pakkeh. 

And the pro-EU Sikhs who may go into the EU will make their way back to the UK.

Reality is that Europe has far less opportunities and has far more discrimination than the UK.

4 hours ago, superkaur said:

Its strange to me that not many Sikhs migrated to Ireland during the Indian independence struggle or during the Sikh independence struggles of 80s to present times.

During the struggle for Indian Independence, Ireland was barely standing on its own two feet and it only became a republic after India gained independence. Plus they didn't have much of a place in the international arena at this point, and were still mired in their own politics. There was no incentive for Indians or Sikhs to go there nor were there any benefits.

As for the Sikh Independence movement, well again there were no benefits to be gained from migrating to Ireland. Attitudes were still quite conservative in those days, so seeing a foreigner let alone someone in SIkh Roop would probably have been met with some hostility. The economy of Ireland wasn't great either. In terms of fighting for a similar cause, there could have possibly been some mutual assistance between Kharkus and the IRA but there would have been too many factors to take into consideration; the name of SIkhs being tarnished further on top of being an already marginalised qaum, repercussions for even greater numbers of Sikhs back in Punjab now that we know of the British governements role in '84 (although had we known at the time, this would have been a reason to join forces in the first place), and some ideological differences, to name a few. Despite all this I can't help but imagine what a lethal force a Sikh arm of the IRA would have been.

It's a shame they didn't blow that kanjari up in 1984, she and Indira could have taken a ride to nark together.

How do you think it will strengthen our community's hand in terms of the Sikh Independence movement? There's no longer widespread support for the IRA or for the Unification of Ireland, and many Irish folk are fed up with violence or those who have used violence in the past - it's not a given but I'm not sure if there would be much solidarity or support for Sikh self-determination. Then again, I'm being cynical.

7 hours ago, superkaur said:

When the UK eventually brexists and leaves the European Union in 2019 the closet UK like and english speaking nation would be Ireland which would be remanining in the EU.

Many British Sikhs who want to be part of the EU may want to relocate and migrate to the republic of Ireland.

Why would a Sikh who is either born in or well-settled in the UK want to go the EU?? Who cares about the EU?

Is it so you can visit religious symbol banning France without a passport? Or a Germany influenced by the AfD, where we'll come under an anti-Muslim backlash? What's the point?

Forget the EU, you can visit hundreds of countries visa-free regardless of whether the UK is part of EU or not.

6 minutes ago, BhForce said:

Why would a Sikh who is either born in or well-settled in the UK want to go the EU?? Who cares about the EU?

Is it so you can visit religious symbol banning France without a passport? Or a Germany influenced by the AfD, where we'll come under an anti-Muslim backlash? What's the point?

Forget the EU, you can visit hundreds of countries visa-free regardless of whether the UK is part of EU or not.

It's more than just visiting other countries visa-free. That's probably the last thing on people's mind.

It's Regrexit.

2 minutes ago, MrDoaba said:

It's more than just visiting other countries visa-free. That's probably the last thing on people's mind.

It's Regrexit.

Well, what's the first thing, brother? Genuinely interested in knowing. 

Is it: "Well, I was in favor of the policy of being in the EU. Now that my side lost, I'm going to leave the country?" Does anyone actually do that?

Here's a bunch of celebs who vowed they'd leave the country if Donald Trump won: 

https://www.newsday.com/entertainment/celebrities/celebrities-who-said-they-ll-leave-america-if-donald-trump-becomes-president-1.12588837

Yet ... no one left.

32 minutes ago, BhForce said:

Well, what's the first thing, brother? Genuinely interested in knowing. 

Is it: "Well, I was in favor of the policy of being in the EU. Now that my side lost, I'm going to leave the country?" Does anyone actually do that?

Here's a bunch of celebs who vowed they'd leave the country if Donald Trump won: 

https://www.newsday.com/entertainment/celebrities/celebrities-who-said-they-ll-leave-america-if-donald-trump-becomes-president-1.12588837

Yet ... no one left.

The economy, employment, public services, and quite possibly quality of life. Not to mention the UK receives plenty of EU funding.

The UK economy is reliant and dependent on that of the EU as are many other aspects of life. It's all heavily intertwined, so to leave would be like getting a tattoo removed by someone with Parkinson's - an extremely difficult and painful process, hence why the government can't agree on much of it and why we're facing a bit of a sh!t storm.

I'm not suggesting we leave the country though. It's a ridiculous idea tbh.

We wanted Brexit for some of the same reasons Texas wants to secede from the Union. But I'm not entirely sure we have the bollocks to pull it off successfully.

18 minutes ago, MrDoaba said:

The economy, employment, public services, and quite possibly quality of life. Not to mention the UK receives plenty of EU funding.

The UK economy is reliant and dependent on that of the EU as are many other aspects of life. It's all heavily intertwined, so to leave would be like getting a tattoo removed by someone with Parkinson's - an extremely difficult and painful process, hence why the government can't agree on much of it and why we're facing a bit of a sh!t storm.

I'm not suggesting we leave the country though. It's a ridiculous idea tbh.

We wanted Brexit for some of the same reasons Texas wants to secede from the Union. But I'm not entirely sure we have the bollocks to pull it off successfully.

Right, there are plenty of reasons why people were skeptical of Brexit before the vote, and some still are now. But, as you say, that's now reason for British Sikhs to leave the joint now that Brexit is coming into being, unlike what @superkaur is saying, which I am still at a failure to understand why Sikhs should want to leave the UK.