Lifts at Golden Temple entrance

singhbj singh

2 hours ago, singhbj singh said:

sorry but sgpc are full of doodoo , my friend went to Darbar Sahib with his wheelchair bound wife (lupus) and not one sewak was willing to help him. He was told to carry her up and down these stairs himself and he was not allowed to take in the wheelchair ...why two lifts why not just make a passageway along side/under the existing stairs ... oh yes it's so they can use it to seperate out their VVIP BS guests from hoi polloi ... not for the disabled at all. 

23 minutes ago, jkvlondon said:

sorry but sgpc are full of doodoo , my friend went to Darbar Sahib with his wheelchair bound wife (lupus) and not one sewak was willing to help him. He was told to carry her up and down these stairs himself and he was not allowed to take in the wheelchair ...why two lifts why not just make a passageway along side/under the existing stairs ... oh yes it's so they can use it to seperate out their VVIP BS guests from hoi polloi ... not for the disabled at all. 

That’s not good. It’s hard enough for people with disabilities and elderly to get to Harmandir Sahib in the first place and then on top of that they had to put up with that. I’m not surprised that they didn’t help the lady in the wheelchair, as when I tried to tell them about my health condition they didn’t want to know. Only after Guruji’s grace, one sevadar was very helpful.  He also said to me that if I go to the office, then they will give me a guided tour and they would have been a better option. So maybe that’s something they do for people with disabilities or elderly? But I don’t know if they charge for it. I guess one would have to call them in advance. 

I couldn’t find no accessibility details on their website, which as a person with a health condition and have had to use wheelchairs in the past, I find confusing and unacceptable. This is 2017, they should at least state the procedure for wheelchairs and those with limited mobility, or where they are not allowed. 

I only managed to find this online, which won’t allow me to copy paste it. But basically it says wheelchairs are available from an office near the Parikarma. So I’m guessing this is what the sevadar meant when he was telling me. But how are we to know about this in advance? If it wasn’t for him, I still wouldn’t have known. 

http://www.goldentempleamritsar.org/facilities-for-tourists-in-india-golden-temple-amritsar.php

They need to make this kind of information clearer for those that have to organise their travel in advance.