Naam Simran is for everyone

Guest Haridas

Guest Haridas

some people may think that Naam Simran is just for Sants.  As per Gurbani, it is imperative for everyone.

what is Naam Simran?  For those who do not know or understand Gurbani or Panjabi, it means to lovingly remember God's Name. 

I have to admit when I first read Gurbani, I thought 'Naam', 'Name', was used metaphorically.  How could so much power be ascribed to something so simple?  It took me a while to convince myself that Guruji was actually taking about Naam, Name, and not being metaphorical.

VJKK VJKF

10 hours ago, Guest Haridas said:

some people may think that Naam Simran is just for Sants.  As per Gurbani, it is imperative for everyone.

what is Naam Simran?  For those who do not know or understand Gurbani or Panjabi, it means to lovingly remember God's Name. 

I have to admit when I first read Gurbani, I thought 'Naam', 'Name', was used metaphorically.  How could so much power be ascribed to something so simple?  It took me a while to convince myself that Guruji was actually taking about Naam, Name, and not being metaphorical.

Very true veerji, Naam is not for any one person/group. As Sikhs we should do Naam simran or even just listen to it if you don't have time. Think about it: How did a sant become a sant? Surely he/she must've been a normal person before? The way they became a sant was by their love for Vaheguru. So, for someone to say that Naam is only for a sant. They are wrong. Thanks for making this thread because maybe others will be able to learn and experience Vaheguru for themselves. :) 

1341.jpg194.jpg

274.jpg

VJKK VJKF

Follwing is a Shabad by Panchvee Patshahee, which is related to the title of this thread, where step by step He tells us about the supreme importance on Naam for our liberation from the cycle of chaurasee for any jeev atma.

Naam is the ladder, the "jahaaz", which we have to board on, if only we desire to become with Him. no other parctices, no other rituals, no other ceremonies, no other pilgrimages, no other austerities, no other devotions to gods, devis, devtays... apart from Nam Bhakti, absolutely nothing is necessary nor of any use as seen in the Shabad below, in our intention and aim of God realization

ਗਉੜੀ ਮਹਲਾ ੫ ॥

Gourree Mehalaa 5 ||

Gauree, Fifth Mehl:

ਗਉੜੀ (ਮਃ ੫) ਗੁਰੂ ਗ੍ਰੰਥ ਸਾਹਿਬ ਅੰਗ ੨੪੦

ਮਿਲੁ ਮੇਰੇ ਗੋਬਿੰਦ ਅਪਨਾ ਨਾਮੁ ਦੇਹੁ ॥

Mil Maerae Gobindh Apanaa Naam Dhaehu ||

Meet me, O my Lord of the Universe. Please bless me with Your Name.

ਨਾਮ ਬਿਨਾ ਧ੍ਰਿਗੁ ਧ੍ਰਿਗੁ ਅਸਨੇਹੁ ॥੧॥ ਰਹਾਉ ॥

Naam Binaa Dhhrig Dhhrig Asanaehu ||1|| Rehaao ||

Without the Naam, the Name of the Lord, cursed, cursed is love and intimacy. ||1||Pause||

ਨਾਮ ਬਿਨਾ ਜੋ ਪਹਿਰੈ ਖਾਇ ॥

Naam Binaa Jo Pehirai Khaae ||

Without the Naam, one who dresses and eats well

ਜਿਉ ਕੂਕਰੁ ਜੂਠਨ ਮਹਿ ਪਾਇ ॥੧॥

Jio Kookar Joothan Mehi Paae ||1||

Is like a dog, who falls in and eats impure foods. ||1||

ਨਾਮ ਬਿਨਾ ਜੇਤਾ ਬਿਉਹਾਰੁ ॥

Naam Binaa Jaethaa Biouhaar ||

Without the Naam, all occupations are useless,

ਜਿਉ ਮਿਰਤਕ ਮਿਥਿਆ ਸੀਗਾਰੁ ॥੨॥

Jio Mirathak Mithhiaa Seegaar ||2||

Like decorations on a dead body. ||2||

ਨਾਮੁ ਬਿਸਾਰਿ ਕਰੇ ਰਸ ਭੋਗ ॥

Naam Bisaar Karae Ras Bhog ||

One who forgets the Naam and indulges in pleasures,

ਸੁਖੁ ਸੁਪਨੈ ਨਹੀ ਤਨ ਮਹਿ ਰੋਗ ॥੩॥

Sukh Supanai Nehee Than Mehi Rog ||3||

Shall find no peace, even in dreams; his body shall become diseased. ||3||

ਨਾਮੁ ਤਿਆਗਿ ਕਰੇ ਅਨ ਕਾਜ ॥

Naam Thiaag Karae An Kaaj ||

One who renounces the Naam and engages in other occupations,

ਬਿਨਸਿ ਜਾਇ ਝੂਠੇ ਸਭਿ ਪਾਜ ॥੪॥

Binas Jaae Jhoothae Sabh Paaj ||4||

Shall see all of his false pretenses fall away. ||4||

ਨਾਮ ਸੰਗਿ ਮਨਿ ਪ੍ਰੀਤਿ ਨ ਲਾਵੈ ॥

Naam Sang Man Preeth N Laavai ||

One whose mind does not embrace love for the Naam

ਕੋਟਿ ਕਰਮ ਕਰਤੋ ਨਰਕਿ ਜਾਵੈ ॥੫॥

Kott Karam Karatho Narak Jaavai ||5||

Shall go to hell, even though he may perform millions of ceremonial rituals. ||5||

ਹਰਿ ਕਾ ਨਾਮੁ ਜਿਨਿ ਮਨਿ ਨ ਆਰਾਧਾ ॥

Har Kaa Naam Jin Man N Aaraadhhaa ||

One whose mind does not contemplate the Name of the Lord

ਚੋਰ ਕੀ ਨਿਆਈ ਜਮ ਪੁਰਿ ਬਾਧਾ ॥੬॥

Chor Kee Niaaee Jam Pur Baadhhaa ||6||

Is bound like a thief, in the City of Death. ||6||

ਲਾਖ ਅਡੰਬਰ ਬਹੁਤੁ ਬਿਸਥਾਰਾ ॥

Laakh Addanbar Bahuth Bisathhaaraa ||

Hundreds of thousands of ostentatious shows and great expanses

ਨਾਮ ਬਿਨਾ ਝੂਠੇ ਪਾਸਾਰਾ ॥੭॥

Naam Binaa Jhoothae Paasaaraa ||7||

- without the Naam, all these displays are false. ||7||

ਹਰਿ ਕਾ ਨਾਮੁ ਸੋਈ ਜਨੁ ਲੇਇ ॥

Har Kaa Naam Soee Jan Laee ||

That humble being repeats the Name of the Lord,

ਕਰਿ ਕਿਰਪਾ ਨਾਨਕ ਜਿਸੁ ਦੇਇ ॥੮॥੧੦॥

Kar Kirapaa Naanak Jis Dhaee ||8||10||

O Nanak, whom the Lord blesses with His Mercy. ||8||10||

Just wonderful the Shabad above by Guru Jee, no comments are needed, as He has in simple words and directly made the path clear for us,  of what is the state of those who do not take seriously the devotion of Nam, and as manmukhs get entangled in all other practices.

Sat Sree Akal.

Just found  the following Sat Bachans by Third Patshahee Dhan Dhan Guru Amar Das Maharaj, where in just one verse,

He summarizes for us moorakhs,  the true unchangeable  eternal wisdom  of Sikhee.

ਨਾਨਕ ਰਾਮ ਨਾਮਿ ਨਿਸਤਾਰਾ ਕੰਚਨ ਭਏ ਮਨੂਰਾ ॥੧॥

Naanak Raam Naam Nisathaaraa Kanchan Bheae Manooraa ||1||

O Nanak, through the Lord's Name, emancipation is obtained, and the slag iron is transformed into gold. ||1||

ਗਉੜੀ (ਮਃ ੩) ਛੰਤ (੪) ੧:੬ - ਗੁਰੂ ਗ੍ਰੰਥ ਸਾਹਿਬ : ਅੰਗ ੨੪੫ ਪੰ. ੧੯
Raag Gauri Guru Amar Das

Here we can clearly see, that He says, do whatever yo may want to do as in terms of devotion, or countless other religious practices, but it is "only", by His Name, that the jeev atma, the soul, gets emancipation, and thus union with Him, there are no other ways, neither substitutes, nor short cuts, except His Nam.

Sat Sree Akal.

On 23/11/2017 at 9:11 PM, Guest Haridas said:

naam is a wider concept than just a name , because ultimately Akal Purakh has no name (check Jaap Sahib)

naam is the bismaad inducing realisation of the reality of Their/its presence throughout the creation with that loving niskam focus 

VJKK VJKF

14 hours ago, Guest Haridas said:

well said.  You are very blessed to have so much faith and good sense at your age.

It is all Maharaj's kirpa but I am powerless, I have no power to speak, to do anything outside of Vaheguru's hukam. I know that Vaheguru only wants the best for us and He does punish us if we do/did anything wrong but then He brings us closer to His path. You have also been blessed too, and you are your Guru's pyara.

VJKK VJKF

23 hours ago, jkvlondon said:

naam is a wider concept than just a name , because ultimately Akal Purakh has no name (check Jaap Sahib)

naam is the bismaad inducing realisation of the reality of Their/its presence throughout the creation with that loving niskam focus 

Nice quote and very true. 

Naam is Truth. 

Meditating on Truth is remembering it(Simran)  and practicing it in action. It's 24/7, you apply and practice it in daily life. 

It's silences your mind(the thieves) so that we just Be. A lot of people mediate and some achieve the silence. And many practice good deeds, some don't slander others, don't hurt others, don't practice maya lust, anger etc.

Not just brown people, but many people of many races from different countries. Some accept Him as All, as Nirboah and Nirvair.