So I took a Ethnicity DNA Test...

MrDoaba

On 19/11/2017 at 8:12 AM, TejS said:

As for the writings of Bhai Nand Lal Ji, well he was born in Afghanistan, where they spoke and still speak a dialect of Farsi, and so he was taught that language from an early age and it was the language spoken around him, thus he began to write poetry in that language from an early age.

Does that mean his works are not for public consumption today as most the community have very little knowledge of Farsi?

As for the Zafarnama, well let’s not forget that Guru Gobind Singh Ji wrote it to address Aurangzeb, a Mughal Emperor, who spoke Farsi, the official language of the Mughal Empire. So I don’t see it as a surprise that he would compose it in Farsi.

Personally for me, this reason does not suffice as to why the Zafarnama was composed in Farsi. Guru Gobind Singh Ji clearly had an affinity for Farsi beyond communicating with the Mughals in their official language.

We're not going to get anywhere in regards to this, so lets agree to disagree.

You know I don’t want to sound like a right-winger but we should actually attempt to remove Arabic/Persian words from our language, and replace them with Sanskrit. I say this because the nature in which the Perso-Arabic influence entered Punjabi is not a pleasant one. And I say Sanskrit because it was the language of our ancestors, it’s as dear to us as is Punjabi.

As someone who is somewhat in the Sanatan Sikh camp I don't disagree with you here. As I've stated in another post, I prefer Sanskritised or original Punjabi to the Persianised variety and my endeavour to promote Farsi albeit connected to Punjabi and Sikhi, does not imply that I am favouring or promoting any Perso-Arabic influence, or at least heavy and unnecessary influence, in vernacular/colloquial Punjabi. If one should choose to pursue Farsi, it should be as a standalone task.

The problem we face here though is uncalled-for accusations of Bhamanvaad, something which I have personally faced, including from family. With high rates of aversion to anything even remotely seen as 'Hindu', Sanatan/Puratan, and to traditional Sampardas, it will be no easy undertaking, especially when such strong post-Singh Sabha ideology is still being pushed onto the masses.

As for any purge attempted, where would the line be drawn? The link between Punjab and Sikhi is too close to completely remove influence.

No Punjabi, no matter what their caste, no matter how they look is ethnically Persian. We do not share a significant genetic overlap with Persians to consider ourselves ethnically similar. They cluster with Caucus/West Asians and we with Central/South Asians. And here is where inferiority shows, why not be proud and accept your own ethnicity. A Punjabi is a Punjabi and just that, why draw similarities to other ethnic groups when such similarities do not exist. 

And just as a side note, the Vedic Aryans (our ancestors) and the Iranic Aryans (Iranians) were not exactly friendly, they were in fact dire enemies that demonized each other. A whole war and exodus was waged, which is described in the Rig Ved.

I am proud of my own ethnicity, I haven't stated otherwise. Punjabis like a lot of ethnicities aren't homogeneous, but are still a distinct quam.

I haven't read the Rig Ved so I cannot comment but my point was about the two languages of the time, something which you yourself mentioned in the other thread.

• 1 month later...
25 minutes ago, TejS said:

To the OP: Apologies for bringing up an old thread, but my curiosity got the better of me, what were your Y-DNA (paternal) and mtDNA (maternal) haplogroups? Those usually vary among individuals of the same ethnicity. 

I will check and PM you. If that's ok?

On 11/25/2017 at 5:36 AM, Premi5 said:
South Asian95.7% 
Middle Eastern & North African2.4% 
European1.4% 
East Asian & Native American< 0.1% 
Unassigned0.5% 

This is my ancestry report on 23andme. They estimate around 1840's and prior that my ancestors were 'Middle East'

Run this through GEDmatch and the Eurasia K9 ASI calculator to get more detailed breakdowns of your genetic components, as well as a better understanding of your genetic heritage. 

• 1 year later...

I took one as well  with myheritage 

• Asia             80.2%
    South Asia         75.7%
    West Asia           3.6
    Central Asia       0.9%
  • Europe         19.8%
    North and West Europe       19.8%
                     Scandinavian      19.8%