Jump to content
MrDoaba

So I took a Ethnicity DNA Test...

Recommended Posts

After waiting ages to take a DNA test, I finally got around to it recently. The results were, for the most part, what I expected.

Here's my estimate:

Asia - 85.4%

  • South Asian - 79.9%
  • West Asian (Iran, Afghanistan, Iraq, Caucasus, Turkey) - 4.3%
  • Central Asian (Afghanistan, Tajikistan, Turkmenistan, Uzbekistan, Kazahkstan) - 1.4%

Europe - 14.6%

North and West Europe

  • Irish, Scottish, and Welsh - 11.6%
  • Scandinavian - 3.0%

Even though these are only estimates, they give an idea of my ethnicity in a broad sense. Nonetheless 14.6% is still considered a fairly large proportion in an estimate, and in all honesty was completely unexpected. My knowledge on DNA and genealogy are probably basic at best but from what I've read such a large percentage of the European could be traced back as early as the 5th or 6th generation before me!

This estimate didn't really tell me much as I would have liked to know so I decided to use GEDmatch to get a more in-depth picture. The results were certainly interesting (Jagsaw Singh if you're still around I'm sure you'll be the most pleased). For the sake of the topic I'll mention that I'm Punjabi Jatt.

This is what I found out:

Baloch - 37.94% (The term Baloch is used here to loosely describe Persian origin)

South Indian - 29.43% (South Indian here refers to indigenous or native Indian)

NE-Euro - 11.70% (oddly the Baltic region)

Caucasian  - 11.30% (Armenia, Georgia, Azerbaijan - again part of the Greater Persian Empire)

SW-Asian - 2.28% (ambiguously referring to Persian, Caucasian, and Arabian)

Mediterranean - 2.25% (most likely Greek, Cypriot, Turkish)

The rest is negligible.

You are also given an approximation how closely you are linked and compare to the individual populations of the sampling done by the genealogists, here are the top ten from highest to lowest:

1) Punjabi-Jatt-Sikh
2) Punjabi-Jatt-Muslim
3) Punjabi-Khatri
4) Pushtikar-Brahmin
5) Kashmiri-Pandit
6) Punjabi
7) Kashmiri
8) Punjabi-Brahmin
9) Rajasthani-Brahmin
10) Singapore-Indian

 

What do you think? I was surprised at some of the detail it went into and some of it was actually expected - I have always explained to people how we very likely had Persian and possibly some European ancestors. Although I probably won't, personally I would love to lay claim to my Persian heritage!

Has anybody here taken a test?

What labels, if any, do I use now...Persian Jatt  :rofl

I think the moral here is we shouldn't be so narrow-minded.

 

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Kira said:

 

LOL yeah yeah I took the generic one with a pinch of salt. The second one defo provides some insight though, if it's your kind of thing.

I'm an undercover RSS agent...see how closely I'm related to Brahmins.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Ha ya Welsh sheep sha... 

That's crazy man. Could you share the link of the test you took? I'd like to give it a go

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, S4NGH said:

Ha ya Welsh sheep sha... 

That's crazy man. Could you share the link of the test you took? I'd like to give it a go

Oye saala.

I took mine with MyHeritage. There's quite a few companies which do it but no point wasting money on the more expensive generic ones. Once you get your results make sure you use GEDmatch after for better results - it's free.

https://www.myheritage.com/login?destination_url=https%3A%2F%2F

  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, AjeetSinghPunjabi said:

sorry to burst your bubble but such tests are mostly hyped 

https://www.livescience.com/7384-genetic-ancestry-tests-hype-scientists.html

Mate I do not fall for marketing so easily, and so naturally I did some reading before taking the test, and took it with a good dose of scepticism. I also took into account the companies' policy and disclaimer as well as general info on generic DNA testing, hence, my earlier comment about taking it with a pinch of salt. The link you provided is about 10 years old and DNA testing has come a long way since then, and unlike that article say, the test I took (like most generic companies today) looks at DNA from both the paternal and maternal line - which in most cases can only look at the last few hundred years or so. Still I see your point, it was quite vague and probabaly not as highly accurate as many would like it to be, then again they make it very clear that it's an estimate and that it gives you a rounded idea so it's not a wild guess either.

This is why I used GEDmatch - a free website created by professional genealogists with more utilities than aam janta would need. It's a no-frills site for people who are serious about genetics and genealogy and goes a bit further back to look for specific genetic markers. In order to use the site you only need your raw DNA data from the generic testing companies. The heritage/ethnicity tool they provide uses a large independent sample database which has calculators for specific reference populations which can pinpoint fairly well in my experience - this is evident from the fact that it picked up my Punjabi Jatt heritage. They've obviously done their work and I have no reason to dismiss the project, especially the one used for people with Asian origins.

All in all, there's nothing which is unusually surprising from my results - they seem to make the most logical sense according to history and geography. It's also worth mentioning that on both my paternal and maternal side, my grandparents, great grandparents, 2/3x great grandparents, great uncles and aunts had traits that tie in with my results - majority of them were very fair skinned, had light coloured eyes etc.

Up to you if you want to take them into consideration as an estimate, the second being rather accurate, or if you want to write the whole thing off as bullsh!t. We're all entitled to our opinions.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, MrDoaba said:

Mate I do not fall for marketing so easily, and so naturally I did some reading before taking the test, and took it with a good dose of scepticism. I also took into account the companies' policy and disclaimer as well as general info on generic DNA testing, hence, my earlier comment about taking it with a pinch of salt. The link you provided is about 10 years old and DNA testing has come a long way since then, and unlike that article say, the test I took (like most generic companies today) looks at DNA from both the paternal and maternal line - which in most cases can only look at the last few hundred years or so. Still I see your point, it was quite vague and probabaly not as highly accurate as many would like it to be, then again they make it very clear that it's an estimate and that it gives you a rounded idea so it's not a wild guess either.

This is why I used GEDmatch - a free website created by professional genealogists with more utilities than aam janta would need. It's a no-frills site for people who are serious about genetics and genealogy and goes a bit further back to look for specific genetic markers. In order to use the site you only need your raw DNA data from the generic testing companies. The heritage/ethnicity tool they provide uses a large independent sample database which has calculators for specific reference populations which can pinpoint fairly well in my experience - this is evident from the fact that it picked up my Punjabi Jatt heritage. They've obviously done their work and I have no reason to dismiss the project, especially the one used for people with Asian origins.

All in all, there's nothing which is unusually surprising from my results - they seem to make the most logical sense according to history and geography. It's also worth mentioning that on both my paternal and maternal side, my grandparents, great grandparents, 2/3x great grandparents, great uncles and aunts had traits that tie in with my results - majority of them were very fair skinned, had light coloured eyes etc.

Up to you if you want to take them into consideration as an estimate, the second being rather accurate, or if you want to write the whole thing off as bullsh!t. We're all entitled to our opinions.

 

tell me just one simple thing .

How does it change your life or kaum by knowing where you originated from ? It can only help one's ego to know that they're 15% european or .. you know .... a part of so called "elite"  race 

Edited by AjeetSinghPunjabi
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I don't think it matters where you come from, to be honest. 

Does it affect your Sikhi, even in the slightest way?

If you are just doing it to find your history (somehow), then go ahead.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, monatosingh said:

I don't think it matters where you come from, to be honest. 

Does it affect your Sikhi, even in the slightest way?

If you are just doing it to find your history (somehow), then go ahead.

 

we all originated in africa . 

No rudeness intended to OP but honestly we're faced with so many dire issues in kaum that needs our immediate attention :/ 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, AjeetSinghPunjabi said:

tell me just one simple thing .

How does it change your life or kaum by knowing where you originated from ? It can only help one's ego to know that they're 15% european or .. you know .... a part of so called "elite"  race 

It doesn't, that's not why I took the test. I did it out of sheer curiosity, it's human nature to want to know your origins, and kade kade shaunk vi pura karna penda ah, no? It's had absolutely no impact on my life and it's not gonna. If the scientific side has no significance to you, then just see it as a bit of fun.

And no where in my post indicates I have an inflated ego brother, did you not read the Jatt joke? If any anything I put my results here in opposition to those who act elitist - infact some people I've mentioned the test to are scared to even entertain the idea of taking it, they're so fragile.

We are who we are and obviously it's not going to change.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, MrDoaba said:

It doesn't, that's not why I took the test. I did it out of sheer curiosity, it's human nature to want to know your origins, and kade kade shaunk vi pura karna penda ah, no? It's had absolutely no impact on my life and it's not gonna. If the scientific side has no significance to you, then just see it as a bit of fun.

And no where in my post indicates I have an inflated ego brother, did you not read the Jatt joke? If any anything I put my results here in opposition to those who act elitist - infact some people I've mentioned the test to are scared to even entertain the idea of taking it, they're so fragile.

We are who we are and obviously it's not going to change.

ok lol 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, AjeetSinghPunjabi said:

tell me just one simple thing .

How does it change your life or kaum by knowing where you originated from ? It can only help one's ego to know that they're 15% european or .. you know .... a part of so called "elite"  race 

I don't know man. If my results showed I was somehow any percentage european/white, I'd be pretty blumin disappointed... 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, S4NGH said:

I don't know man. If my results showed I was somehow any percentage european/white, I'd be pretty blumin disappointed... 

I don't even need a genetic test . I have golden brownish hair (esp near the skin) , brown eyes and fair skin , A positive blood group , 

My mother's side blue / light colored eyes not uncommon . All these traits point to some degree of european ancestry 

Anyways, we all have aryan blood . Aryans were nothing but central asians or europeans . 

Anyways why the eff does it matter lol 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, S4NGH said:

I don't know man. If my results showed I was somehow any percentage european/white, I'd be pretty blumin disappointed... 

To be fair if the Celtic part of the results are true, it's not as bad as it coming back British (even though you can't really define British). It's most likely to be Scottish as the Scots and Scandinavians did a fair bit of mingling.

Scottish people are quite admirable. At least in this regard:

"...for, as long as but a hundred of us remain alive, never will we on any conditions be brought under English rule. It is in truth not for glory, nor riches, nor honours that we are fighting, but for freedom – for that alone, which no honest man gives up but with life itself."

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now


  • Topics

  • Posts

    • Guest Singh Jee, you need not any more ardaas or arambh again. Just follow what the Bani says. So, what does the Bani say?  It clearly says: ਨਾਮੁ ਤੇਰੋ ਆਸਨੋ ਨਾਮੁ ਤੇਰੋ ਉਰਸਾ ਨਾਮੁ ਤੇਰਾ ਕੇਸਰੋ ਲੇ ਛਿਟਕਾਰੇ ॥ Naam Thaero Aasano Naam Thaero Ourasaa Naam Thaeraa Kaesaro Lae Shhittakaarae ਨਾਮੁ ਤੇਰਾ ਅੰਭੁਲਾ ਨਾਮੁ ਤੇਰੋ ਚੰਦਨੋ ਘਸਿ ਜਪੇ ਨਾਮੁ ਲੇ ਤੁਝਹਿ ਕਉ ਚਾਰੇ ॥੧॥ Naam Thaeraa Anbhulaa Naam Thaero Chandhano Ghas Japae Naam Lae Thujhehi Ko Chaarae ਨਾਮੁ ਤੇਰਾ ਦੀਵਾ ਨਾਮੁ ਤੇਰੋ ਬਾਤੀ ਨਾਮੁ ਤੇਰੋ ਤੇਲੁ ਲੇ ਮਾਹਿ ਪਸਾਰੇ ॥ Naam Thaeraa Dheevaa Naam Thaero Baathee Naam Thaero Thael Lae Maahi Pasaarae ਨਾਮ ਤੇਰੇ ਕੀ ਜੋਤਿ ਲਗਾਈ ਭਇਓ ਉਜਿਆਰੋ ਭਵਨ ਸਗਲਾਰੇ ॥੨॥ Naam Thaerae Kee Joth Lagaaee Bhaeiou Oujiaaro Bhavan Sagalaarae ਨਾਮੁ ਤੇਰੋ ਤਾਗਾ ਨਾਮੁ ਫੂਲ ਮਾਲਾ ਭਾਰ ਅਠਾਰਹ ਸਗਲ ਜੂਠਾਰੇ ॥ Naam Thaero Thaagaa Naam Fool Maalaa Bhaar Athaareh Sagal Joothaarae || ਤੇਰੋ ਕੀਆ ਤੁਝਹਿ ਕਿਆ ਅਰਪਉ ਨਾਮੁ ਤੇਰਾ ਤੁਹੀ ਚਵਰ ਢੋਲਾਰੇ ॥੩॥ Thaero Keeaa Thujhehi Kiaa Arapo Naam Thaeraa Thuhee Chavar Dtolaarae ਦਸ ਅਠਾ ਅਠਸਠੇ ਚਾਰੇ ਖਾਣੀ ਇਹੈ ਵਰਤਣਿ ਹੈ ਸਗਲ ਸੰਸਾਰੇ ॥ Dhas Athaa Athasathae Chaarae Khaanee Eihai Varathan Hai Sagal Sansaarae ਕਹੈ ਰਵਿਦਾਸੁ ਨਾਮੁ ਤੇਰੋ ਆਰਤੀ ਸਤਿ ਨਾਮੁ ਹੈ ਹਰਿ ਭੋਗ ਤੁਹਾਰੇ ॥੪॥੩॥ Kehai Ravidhaas Naam Thaero Aarathee Sath Naam Hai Har Bhog Thuhaarae   Guest Jee, with the verses above , you can see by yourself, that Bhagat Ravi Das is telling us, that, when one is engaged in His devotion with focused attention,  in His Nam, that is all one needs to do, for this His devotion, is more than enough, than any outer ingredients. wahiguru unlike any other gods, godesses, devis, devtays, prophets, avatars, needs nothing from us, except our full atention with love and devotion at His Lotus Feet. Such is the undescribable infinite wadeeayee of our beloved Wahiguru Akal Purukh. Sat Sree Akal.    
    • Quite good,  3 out of five.
    •   MAKE IT BEAUTIFUL WORK FOR A CAUSE NOT FOR APPLAUSE LIVE LIFE TO EXPRESS NOT TO IMPRESS DO NOT STRIVE TO MAKE YOUR PRESENCE NOTICED JUST MAKE YOUR ABSENCE FELT     RELEASE  THE EXPECTATIONS HOW MUCH TIME & ENERGY WE WASTE IN ASKING PEOPLE TO CHANGE WAITING FOR THEM TO CHANGE UPSET BECAUSE THEY DO NOT CHANGE? INVEST A LITTLE TIME AND ENERGY IN TEACHING YOUR OWN MIND TO RELEASE THE EXPECTATIONS       SELF IMPROVEMENT I AM IN COMPETITION WITH NO ONE I RUN MY OWN RACE I HAVE NO DESIRE IN BEING BETTER THAN ANYONE IN ANY WAY, SHAPE OR FORM I JUST AIM TO IMPROVE TO BE BETTER THAN I WAS BEFORE THAT IS ME AND I AM FREE.     COURAGE KEEP YOUR DREAMS ALIVE UNDERSTAND TO ACHIEVE ANYTHING REQUIRES FAITH AND BELIEF IN YOURSELF VISION, HARD WORK DETERMINATION AND DEDICATION REMEMBER ALL THINGS ARE POSSIBLE FOR THOSE WHO BELIEVE      
    • It's the great Paathi Sahibaan Prof. Satnam Singh Sethi This akhand jaap is also on YouTube
×