original Karah Prashad

Guest Haridas

Guest Haridas

Hi,

this is not to rake up any controversy, just out of general interest.  I was wondering about the original recipe of Karah Prashad.

To my knowledge, the western Gurdwaras today use: wheat, butter, brown sugar.  these are convenient, though processed foods.  They are also modern variants.  So what were the ingredients used in Guru ji's times?

For example, it must have been whole wheat.  And ghee I presume?  And Gurr (indian red sugar)?  Also, I presume it was cooked in an iron pot?

Can any history buffs help with this?

Guest I love Karah Parshad
2 hours ago, Guest Haridas said:

Hi,

this is not to rake up any controversy, just out of general interest.  I was wondering about the original recipe of Karah Prashad.

To my knowledge, the western Gurdwaras today use: wheat, butter, brown sugar.  these are convenient, though processed foods.  They are also modern variants.  So what were the ingredients used in Guru ji's times?

For example, it must have been whole wheat.  And ghee I presume?  And Gurr (indian red sugar)?  Also, I presume it was cooked in an iron pot?

Ah I miss Prasad, I haven't had any in so long! 

3 hours ago, Guest Haridas said:

Hi,

today we still use wholemeal wheat flour , ghee , water and sugar then was gurr now is white sugar(as most places have white sugar) . Degh is always made in sarabloh karai

some people think they know better and try to use suji /semolina but that is not traditional.

On 12/11/2017 at 6:34 AM, jkvlondon said:

some people think they know better and try to use suji /semolina but that is not traditional.

Thats what hindu brothers make on SatyaNarayan pooja, and add milk too, maybe because vishnu ji sits on milk sea.

Its really tasty though. Ironically, they say kadah prasad is tastier lol 

5 minutes ago, AjeetSinghPunjabi said:

Thats what hindu brothers make on SatyaNarayan pooja, and add milk too, maybe because vishnu ji sits on milk sea.

Its really tasty though. Ironically, they say kadah prasad is tastier lol 

yeah well we're not trying to make sooji halva really ...

I love that Mughal quote about how SInghs lives are centered around degh in sukh and dukh. Sukhrana is a big big thing in our people