Sakhis about Shaheed Singh/Singhni

Guarding Gurudwaras

There is an army of Shaheed Singhs that have been ordered by Guru Sahib to constantly protect Gurdwaras and Gursikhs. They are the special forces of Guru Sahib and completely one with him. They are very powerful and even greater than the Hindu gods who do not have as much power. The Shaheed Singhs dress in old Khalsa bana, either blue or sometimes white, and also carry many shastars. Although they usually go about in secret and cannot be seen, at times they make themselves visible. These Shaheed Singhs have been seen during the 1947 Partition, guarding Gurdwaras and at other times have helped Singhs protect Guru Granth Sahib Ji.

Shaheed Singhs & Singhnia in the SaadhSangat

There was an incident at the second Bangor based Khalsa Camp. I was given seva in the Darbar sahib. I was standing at the back on the Darbar Sahib during a late night keertan darbar. Bhai Rama Singh Ji was sitting down quite close to me. The keertan was very Chardikala, and the sangat was mast in Waheguru Simran. The lights had been switched, but for a lamp near Guru Maharaj. Everyone was deeply engrossed in Bani. There was bibi who attended the camp. It had quite a bit of impact on her, and she was getting Biaraig in the keertan. At the side of the darbar there was a double door out to a garden area. Suddenly the closed doors flung open. Feeling the weather was not too good, I walked over and closed reclosed them.

At this point, the keertan was every higher in Chardikala. The bibi had become so mast in Bani, that she was physically affected. The bibi then turned and did matah tek, and stayed in that position, and sat again in Guru ji presence, and was even more mast. The whole sangat was highly engrossed in Naam and Bani. The keertan went on till quite late and was very memorable. The next day, after Amritvela, myself and Bhai Rama Singh ji were sitting in the langar hall sharing a meal. It is possible there were other Gursikhs there as well. Bhai Sahib and I were talking about the keertan the night before. We were both agreeing it was really excellent; we felt blessed to have experienced those darbars. I asked Bhai sahib about the bibi. I said why did she matte tek in the other direction?

Bhai sahib replied, ‘Did you not see them?’ I replied, ‘See who?’ Bhai sahib said, ‘The shaheed Singhs who entered the Darbar. They came to join the SadhSangat. She bowed to them.’ I became highly intrigued by this. I said, ‘Bhai sahib, tell me about them?’ He replied, ‘Its no matter really, if you did not see, then forget about it.’ I was not going to let this drop, so I began harrasing him and kept it up for a few minutes. Eventually Bhai Sahib came around, and starting talking. He said ‘They are special souls who came to listen to Bani in the SadhSangat.’ Upon detailed questioning Bhai sahib revealed, extremely reluctantly, a basic description of the shaheedan. He said, ‘Their faces glow of redness, and their eyes shine. They have strong builds. They wear full bana, (as in a blue chola), and are always shasterdhari (laden with weapons).

'There are Singhs and Singhnia, both wear cholas (blue) and adorn dhumallas. They have khandas on these dumallas. They come with specific purposes upon the Hukam of Akaal.’ I kept pressing Bhai sahib for more, but he was very relunctant and told me to just Naam aap.

But I was young, and really interested, and Bhai Sahib knew he could not distract me. I asked tell me more about them. But he kept saying, forget it. ‘Eventually to stop me, he said, do you know _______ Singh in UK? They all look like that. Now let’s go to the lecture.’ I have not mentioned the Gursikhs name because he is still alive and does seva in the jatha in UK. I think most people will guess who it is anyway. When you go to rainsbhais, there is always one elder that stands out. A few weeks later, Bhai sahib and I were at a Gursikh's house in Southall. A youth had drawn a sketch, it was of a scene of 1984, showing the damaged Siri Akal Thakht Sahib. In the sky through the clouds he had drawn Shaheed Singhs coming to the Akal Thakht. The scene was amazing. Both myself and Bhai Sahib looked at it for some time. I am not sure what the inspiration was for that youth, but the picture he had drawn was amazing.

Shaheeds answer Fateh

Bhai Soorat Singh was a Gursikh who even in 1949 used to do yatra of Hemkunt Sahib. He said, “Every year I would go from Gurdwara Gobind Dham to Hemkunt Sahib and in the evening return back. I would do the bhog of a sehaj paath there in 15 or 16 days. When I would o paath there though, I wouldn’t speak but sometimes it seemed to me that the Gurdwara Sahib was filled with Singhs and sometimes there was no one. On the day of the bhog, I finished by saying a Fateh! And to my surprise, it was answered by 16 Singhs sitting in the sangat. Five or six of them were wearing blue clothes and the rest were wearing white. All had shastars. One Singh stood and said, “Bhai Sahib, do not doubt us. We are 16 Shaheed Singhs in this Gurdwara and many others also go around here.”

Incident at the Sarovar

Many times I would spend the night in the veranda and I would hear the keertan of Asa di //. Once, at 3:15, I was sitting in the veranda when I saw a being riding a white lion who came and bathed in the sarovar only to straddle the lion and ride off again.

Singh protecting the tent of a Sant

The Shaheed Singhs also stay with Gursikhs at all times. During the time of Sant Attar Singh jee, it was seen that a Singh riding a horse would circumambulate Sant jee’s tent. The tent was on the banks of the Jehlum, and the horse would go on the three sides which were faced by land, but also on the fourth side which was the river Jehlum. The rider would yell out a jaikara as well. When Sant jee was asked about this, he said that Shaheed Singhs do come and protect Gursikhs but those that can see this should not tell others.

Guarding Singhs

Naam Abhyaasi Gursikh Subedaar Baghael Singh once told me that in Shaheedi Fauj of Guru Gobind Singh Ji is properly organised and there are several Generals in it. Bhai Bachitter Singh is one of the top most Generals in Shaheedi Fauj.

Subedaar Baghael Singh told me that he personally once got darshan of Bhai Bachitter Singh Ji. Bhai Sahib Randhir Singh Ji once casually mentioned to a Singh that there are always 4 Singhs present in the Narangwal area (Bhai Sahib’s pind) to guard the Singhs there.

Baba Harnaam Singh of Rampurkhera is said to have had several encounters with Shaheed Singhs.

Shaheed Singh in the Gurudwara

At a gurdwara sahib I went to regularly, the double doors to the gurdwara main hall which faced outside would swing open by themselves sometimes. There would be no wind at all and all of a sudden, they would open. This was not during a time when there was much sangat, but just me standing there. This happened on a few occassions but did not happen after that time.

Once when coming to the gurdwara sahib late at night, I was on the road in the car and looked at the gurdwara’s window. The light of the main hall was on and I noticed the outline of a Singh with round dastar and open beard walking by the window. When we came in, there was no one, and we found that everyone was asleep and no one was up at that time when I asked the next day. I’m sure I saw a Singh though.

Ever-present

As a young child of about 3 holding my late dad’s finger and walking along one evening reciting Rehrass . . . I distinctly remember hearing hoof beats following us at the back . . . when I turned to have a look, my dad reprimanded me and said, “Dont look back. It is a Shaheed Singh Ji and he is following us because we are reciting Gurbani.

At age 12 due to some financial difficulties my dad and mum had to work out station and we children were left on our own. I being the ledest was in charge. We would go upstairs to our second storey balcony and gaze far to see dad coming back every evening. One night we waited until almost midnight and dad still hadnt tunred up…suddenly we heard a neighing sound and a Shastar Dharee Singh Ji on a White Horse so tall that it reached up to the second story balcony appeared in front of us in a shining white light and we heard a voice that dad was in the local hospital in a coma due to an accident. I quickly got downstairs and cycled five miles to the local hospital and sure enough there was my dad with two broken arms after being involved in a motor accident…the surgeon wanted to shave his arms for an operation to reset the badly smashed bone and he awoke just in time to say no way . . . he healed very well without any surgery.

Later my dad related to me that this particular shaheed singh was a Bhai Darshan Singh who had been martyred in a Battle with a Muslim soldier and he had been appearing regularly in our hour of need.

In 1975 while in Singapore, i was on a road shoulder of a busy road waiting to cross and somehow i got so engrossed in my paath that i ddint realise i had stepped on the road and begun crossing..right in front of a speeding bus . . . suddenly i got such a strong “kick” that I went flying to the opposite side…safe and sound but shocked at a narrow escape..when i reached home . . . my dad was on the phone from Kuala Lumpur 250 miles away scolding me for being so careless . . . if not for Shaheed darshan Singh Ji he told me I would be history by now.

The last thing my dad told me before he left this world in 1984 was that a very major event is about to take place in Punjab and that he was going to join the shaheed faujaan as a nimana soldier . . . he had taken a hukmnama a week before and knew his end was near . . . just four weeks later Bluestar took place.

These are a few of my own personal experiences with this special aspect of “spiritual” life. as far as i know these are not “bhoots” or roohaan as we normally think of. They are special forces and they have their own rules and practises most of which are beyond our realm. Mostly they keep out of our way but on ocassion if help is warranted they do help. Thats all I caa say with conviction.

Dastaar for a Shaheed Singh

One day a middle aged Sikh came to our house. My mom gave him a siropa (dastaar) as present but he refused and said this siropa does not belong to him as the house is being guarded by shaheed singhs, and the person whom this should go to one day will come and get it from you.

An incident at Sri Harmandir Sahib

During a visit to Darbar Sahib, Amritsar I noticed the following things happening at Amrit Vela. The Sangat was finishing the last few minutes of Sukhmani Sahib, waiting for the doors to the cause way to be opened, when there was an instantaneous strong whirl wind accompanied by a drop in temperature, it went real icy even though moments before it was a hot and humid night. A couple of hours later, Guru Ji’s Saroop was being carried along the cause way to Darbar Sahib, again a strong wind occurred in seconds and the temperature plummeted dramatically. I noticed the pattern repeating over several days, same time, same place with the same changes. I was told the opening of the doors for the Sangat after Darbar Sahib’s Ishnan seva and Guru Sahib Ji’s arrival, are very important moments and protected by many Shaheed Singhs. The strong wind was caused by their arrival . . . and the purity of their souls was such that even the intense heat of the environment was cooled instantly by their presence.

Present at Guru Granth Sahib Ji’s Hazoori

A Singh I know used to do Sri Japjee Sahib roals for Akhand Paths early on, he had only just taken Amrit and the roles used to be the hard ones i.e. 12-2am, 2am-4am, etc. He used to get drowsy/sleepy whilst doing the roles and used to start seeing Singhs occurring and disappearing whilst walking up the red carpet to Maharaj’s Hazoori and this used to freak him out and keep him awake. At other times he used to actually see a Singh standing next to him (whilst on the role) with full bana and barsha (spear) in hand, this also used to send a chill down his spine and he used to start reading the Path with a renewed vigour and fear. After he narrated these experiences to a few Singhs they never ocuured again. The point of narrating this is not to argue in anyway the validity of doing Sri Japji Sahib roals, but rather to emphasise the presence of Shaheed Singhs in Maharaj’s Hazoori and especially in Sri Akhand Paths.

Clattering of hooves at Amritvela

At other times in Amrit Vela - the clattering of hooves of horses on stairs has awoken many Gursikhs. Maharaj awakes his Gursikhs himself.

Darshan of Shaheed Singhs in a dream

Imprisoned Gursikhs have told me how they feared what dire consequences they may undergo and questioned whether Shaheed Singhs would protect them. One of them told me that he had Darshan of 3 Shaheed Singhs in a dream (all 3 were in blue bana with Shastars), on the night he was imprisoned and he never feared anything whilst in jail as he knew the Shaheed Singhs would look after him.

Guru Gobind Singh Ji in command

1984 attack - recently a Kathavachak who has great knowledge of the movement narrated experiences of Operation Blue Star. He said during the attack a Singh was on top of Sri Akaal Takhat Sahib and he could see Sri Guru Gobind Singh at Darshan Deori - he shouted loudly and then narrated how Maharaj went to Darbar Sahib and paid his respects and upon return gave out chole bhatoore to the Singhs in battle. Maharaj himself is present in all major battles of Sikhs and Shaheed Fauja are present also, either in human form (born again for this purpose) or spiritual form.

The Power from Shaheed Singhs

There was a Rainsbhai Kirtan organised by the Jatha in 1998 - to commemorate the 20 years since 1978 (in Slough, UK). A lot of gifted Gursikhs were present in the Sangat and the majority of the Kirtan turned into Simran only. Some of the youth did not enjoy the Rainsbhia that much due it mostly being Simran - but a lot of the gifted Gursikhs felt that it was the Shaheed Singhs who created this atmosphere of Simran repitition.

At the Gates of Sachkhand

Once, a Sikh I know, went into a state of mind where he almost died. He hit the gates of Sachkhand, walking through a tunnel and came to a Light. When he saw the light he saw beautiful gardens and heard Gurbani! But then he saw so many Singhs in bana. He go scared so turned around. Then a spirit asked him where he was going (this was the spirit of Baba Deep Singh) he said, ‘Bhai Sahib you have won your place here, why are you turning away! These are the gates to Sachkhand. Then why are you outside?’ The spirit of Bhanda Singh Bahadur now rises and replies ‘We have not finished our duty. We wait to fight the battles for Khalsa Raj again! When it is established we will be there fighting for it too! We will be there to witness the day Khalsa has Victory!’

Protected from a stalker

I heard a story about a very Chardikala bibi who was coming back from the Gurdwara late at night. She saw a man standing infront of her with a knife. As she approached him he looked scared and backed off. A week later the man was caught by the police and arrested, being a murder suspect. The bibi was asked to come to the police station and identify him. She pointed him out and asked the officer if she could talk to the man. He said yes. She asked him, ‘When you saw me that night walking home alone, there was no one about, it was dark, you could have easily got away with it, so why didn’t you attack me?’ He replied, ‘Are you mad?! What about those two guys that were standing either side of you, in blue robes, holding massive swords longer than me! I didnt want to get killed! The bibi knew that she had been protected by the Shaheed Singhs.

Protection from being left behind

This happened on the day the Panth celebrated Guru Nanak Dev Jiis Prakash Dihara. I was sitting in Darbar for about two hours listening to katha/dhadi vaars and my parents were lookin for me but I never knew that. Suddenly, I had they urge to just get up and go to my car. when I went to my car, there were my parents in the car trying to leave but couldn’t. When I sat in, my mom asked me where I had been. I replied by saying i was ‘inside, upstairs in the main hall’. She said ‘We’ve been looking for you for about half an hour and we’ve been in the car for about 1/2 hour tryin to unlock the emergency brake but couldn’t.’ Then i tried and suddenly, very easily it opened. I think that it was Maharaj who was trying not to let my parents leave without me because thats what they were going to do.

During 1984 Delhi Anti-Sikh Riots

Sikhs were butchered across India. I heard this true story about a Sikh couple living in an isolated village outside of Punjab. The couple was young and were amritdhari. The Singhni wore a dastaar and they had a young child. The Sikh couple had an isolated farmhouse in a Hindu dominated area. When news of the assassination reached the area, and it was found out that Sikhs were being killed, some local thugs also decided it was the perfect chance to loot the farmhouse. The Singh found out about these plans from some well wishers and told his wife that they had very little time and an attack was coming. The Singh said that they should leave their farm and escape to save their lives. The Singhnee however reminded him that they had done Parkash of Sri Guru Granth Sahib on the top floor of the house and how could they run away from Guru Sahib? The Singh again repeated that there was an attack coming and said that their young child would be killed. Singhnee jee insisted again that it would be wrong to run away from Guru Sahib and let the mob disrespect Guru Sahib's saroop. The Singh in frustration then said, "Once they kill us, they will disrespect the saroop anyways so what is the point in staying? We can't save the saroop if we're dead. The best we can do is save ourselves now. There is no benefit in staying! You are being stubborn and stupid." The Singhnee replied that while she had breath in her body, she would not abandon Guru Sahib, even to save her life and while she was alive, no one could dare do any disrespect. With the mob now on its way, the Singh in frustration told his Singhnee that she could do what she wanted but he was leaving with their son. He then took the infant and escaped. Singhnee jee went to Guru Sahib's room, and did ardaas. She asked Guru Sahib for protection and for the courage to, if need be, become Shahid in this seva. She then took a kirpan and waited. When Singhnee jee saw the mob arrive, yelling and carrying weapons, ready to attack the house. She came down and stood at the door holding her unsheathed Sri Sahib. All of a sudden, the thugs in the mob began to turn around and run away, looking back in terror and then continuing to run. Singhnee jee was confused but amazed at Guru Sahib's kirpa as the mob retreated and did not return. Some days later, the Singh came back to the village to check on the fate of his wife and their property. He fully expected that his wife would be assaulted and killed and their home looted. As he was nervously walking to his home, a Hindu acquaintence stopped him and asked, "Singh, where did you gather all those Nihangs from so quickly that day???!" The Singh was confused and asked, "What do you mean?" The Hindu replied, "That day, when the mob went to attack your house, your wife came and stood in the door and she was surrounded by so many massive Nihangs who were so tall and carrying all kinds of weapons. Where did you gather all of them from so quickly?" The Singh realised that Shaheed Singhs had themselves come and protected Guru Sahib's saroop and his Singhnee's courage had been rewarded. He went home and begged for forgivness from his Singhnee and told her about how all the villagers were talking about the army of Nihangs that had protected their house.

Guru Ji after the Battle of Chamkaur Sahib

After the Battle of Chamkaur Sahib, Guru Gobind Singh ji with only very few Sikhs went to a village. No one knew, they were Sri Dashmesh Pita, with an exception of two Sikhs brothers in whose house Guru ji stayed. One of them was devotional Sikh and other was not that much in Sikhi. Days past, slowly people began to know that Sri Dashmesh Pita is living here... So sangat started coming... One day the big brother was going for the darshan of Guru Sahib. While walking, he was thinking that if Guru Ji is so mighty, then why couldn't he defend himself and protect his sons in the battle of Chamkaur Sahib... His sons are no more alive... So how can he be a Guru ... Meanwhile he noticed a small Singh, around 4 feet in height, coming ... So he thought of waiting for him and they will go together for Guru Ji's darshab. When he looked back, the Singh grew bigger... He changed the colour of his bana from blue to white... When that Singh came close, the bigger brother asked who he was and what he was doing. The Singh replied: "I'm a Shaheed Singh". Then he told: "We are 96 crore (960 million) in number and present at Chaumkaur Sahib. We were praying and crying with our hands folded to Dashmesh Pita to let us go in battle field... Only one Shaheed Singh can finish all the Turks from this world within seconds... But Guru Ji didn't allow us. He also said every time there is Shaheedi Pehra of 5000 Shaheed Singhs with Guru Ji.

Tank struck during Operation Blue Star

When Indian army attacked Harmandar Sahib in June 1984, which force stopped the tank from moving? Obviously the Shaheed Singh power. It was completely struck near Baba Deep Singh Ji Shaheedi place. They had to cut and dismantle the tank piece by piece!

Banda Singh Bahadur's 5 gifted arrows given by Guru Ji

Guru Sahib gave 5 arrows to Gurbaksh Singh (alias Banda Singh Bahadur) and told his 96 crore army is under the command of these arrows.

In his very first battle, there were around 300 manpower with Banda Singh Bahadur, out of which only around 50 were singhs, and rest 250 were looters. When the governor of the city came wih his 2000 army attacked Banda Singh Bahadur. The looters tried to run away, but Banda Singh Bahadur told them to stop.

He took one of the arrows given by Guru Ji and went alone in the direction from which the army was coming from... With the arrow he marked a line on ground and stood there on his horse. The Mughals fired arrows at him with canons and arrows but none could cross the line. Then he took the arrow and put it on his bow. But he didn't released it. At that very moment Shaheed Singh army was seen coming down from sky, and started fighting the Mughal far away from where banda was standing. The singh with Banda Singh Bahadur also went in battle field but Banda Singh Bahadur stood there with the streaded bow. All the 2000 Mughals were killed but non from 300 Sikh Army was killed.

Banda Singh Bahadur used these arrows every time he needed the help of Shaheed Singhs. And the way to call Shaheed Singhs was to keep arrow in bow and stretch it, till arrow is in the bow, then army of shaheeds helped him.

Taken to Sach Khand by Shaheed Singhs

This one is of an elderly Gursikh who laid on his deathbed in the final three months of his life. For those months his sons, nephew and some family friends stayed with him reciting Gurbani for 24 hours a day (taking shifts). One the at the last moments, while reciting bani, his nephew who was deeply concentrated, noticed the room light up and Five Singhs appeared and took the elderly Gursikh.

Saved from drugged thugs in Surrey

This instance is that of an Young Singh who had such a high jeevan and did a lot of seva. One night (11 or 12) he felt a sudden urge to visit the Gurdwara Sahib, while walking he recited bani but he was being followed by two thieves (drug addicts) who approached the Singh from behind, one of thieves grabbed the Singh's shoulder and as the Singh turned around, then let him got and the when the Singh looked back he saw both thieves running down the street screaming and falling over. The Singh realized that the Shaheeds had appeared to protect him. This happened in Surrey.

Source: http://www.sikhiwiki.org/index.php/Shaheed_Singhs

I heard a story about a very Chardikala bibi who was coming back from the Gurdwara late at night. She saw a man standing infront of her with a knife. As she approached him he looked scared and backed off. A week later the man was caught by the police and arrested, being a murder suspect. The bibi was asked to come to the police station and identify him. She pointed him out and asked the officer if she could talk to the man. He said yes. She asked him, ‘When you saw me that night walking home alone, there was no one about, it was dark, you could have easily got away with it, so why didn’t you attack me?’ He replied, ‘Are you mad?! What about those two guys that were standing either side of you, in blue robes, holding massive swords longer than me! I didnt want to get killed! The bibi knew that she had been protected by the Shaheed Singhs.

This one I have doubts about, I'm not saying Shaheeds aren't capable of protecting other sikhs but this exact story is also circling Christian circles too. The only difference is that the Amritdhari Bibi is a Christian woman, the Shaheed Singhs are angels. 

4 minutes ago, Kira said:

This one I have doubts about, I'm not saying Shaheeds aren't capable of protecting other sikhs but this exact story is also circling Christian circles too. The only difference is that the Amritdhari Bibi is a Christian woman, the Shaheed Singhs are angels. 

haven't you heard people seeing khalsa doing sewa and calling them angels in life , why not Shaheed Singhs being Angels if you  believe Asa di Vaar Guru ji states it takes no time at all to make devta out of gurmukhs

17 minutes ago, jkvlondon said:

haven't you heard people seeing khalsa doing sewa and calling them angels in life , why not Shaheed Singhs being Angels if you  believe Asa di Vaar Guru ji states it takes no time at all to make devta out of gurmukhs

That's true but Angels are perishable, Shaheed Singhs are not. The fact remains this story has dubious origins, The Amritdhari Bibi has suddenly become a Christian Bibi. The original name of the woman in that story was Diane, the story started around 2000. That page from sikhiwiki is from 2011. 

So sources would be good to discern all this. 

11 hours ago, Kira said:

I don't know myself but for me the main reason why I posted this because it is very inspiring, it wants to make you know more about Sikhi.

42 minutes ago, KhoonKaBadlaKhoon said:

So what about all the gurdwaray that were attacked during 47/84? Why didn't these Shaheed Singh's defend those gurdwaray? 

Read the 'Guru Gobind Singh Ji in command' sakhi above.

Its funny that we the sikhs have little time for in-depth understanding of gurbaani and mastering all the languages that gurbani is composed of ..uhmm. the long list .. sanskrit, punjabi, arabic, farsi , brijbhasha , hindi, marathi etc . but we have time for unproven opinions that have little to do with most of us.

We have little time for resurrecting the meaning of raags and singing baani in raag style ? What is "ghar" again ? What is meaning of "aarja" in japji sahib (and so many other such words) . Its understood as "live span" , but which language is this word from ?? did we ever ask ourselves ? so much research pending . 

Guys who make up stories like these are the same ones who believe sachkhand is a physical place, etc etc you get the gist. As we were told "Vehma bharma vich nai paena" (Don't believe in superstitions and delusions)