Bhaai Jugraj Singh says "Guru is God"?

Guest MandeepB

Guest MandeepB

Dear Sangath, I recently came accross a Amrathdhari Sikh who says "Guru's are actually God's, that Guru Nanak is the Lord of the Universe". I never heard that before, so i asked him who taught you that, he says, Basics of Sikhi, Bhaai Jugraj Singh's video: 

I am confused, i thought Guru's are human beings? Please advise. Thank you

2 hours ago, SikhInTheMaking said:

Also ive been told waheguru is everywhere and in everything 

ਤੂੰ ਜਲਿ ਥਲਿ ਮਹੀਅਲਿ ਭਰਿਪੁਰਿ ਲੀਣਾ ਤੂੰ ਆਪੇ ਸਰਬ ਸਮਾਣਾ ॥੧॥ ਰਹਾਉ  
तूं जलि थलि महीअलि भरिपुरि लीणा तूं आपे सरब समाणा ॥१॥ रहाउ ॥ 
Ŧūʼn jal thal mahī▫al bẖaripur līṇā ṯūʼn āpe sarab samāṇā. ||1|| rahā▫o. 
Thou art fully contained in water, dry land nether and upper regions. Thou Thyself art pervading everywhere. Pause. 

SGGS ji Ang 731

?? Dhan Guru Nanak Dev ji

Jale Hari|| Thale Hari|| Ure Hari|| Bare Hari||1||51||

The Lord is in water. The Lord is on land. The Lord is in the heart. The Lord is in the forests.1.51.

Gire Hari|| Guphe Hari|| Chhite Hari|| Nabhe Hari||2||52||

The Lord is in he mountains. The Lord is in the cave. The Lord is in he earth. The Lord is in the sky. 2.52.

eehaan Hari|| oohaan Hari|| Jimi Hari|| Jamaa Hari||3||53||

The Lord is in here. The Lord is there. The Lord is in the earth. The Lord is in the sky. 3.53.

Alekh Hari|| Abhekh Hari|| Adokh Hari|| Advaikh Hari||4||54||

The Lord is Accountless. The Lord is guiseless. The Lord is blemishless. The Lord is sans duality.4.54.

Akaal Hari|| Apaal Hari|| Achhed Hari|| Abhed Hari||5||55||

The Lord is non-temporal. The Lord cannot be reated. The Lord is Indestructible. The Lord's secrets cannot be known. 5.55.

Ajantra Hari|| Amantra Hari|| Su tej Hari|| Atantra Hari||6||56||

The Lord is not in mystical digrams. The Lord is not in incantations. The Lord is of bright effulgence. The Lord is not in Tantras (magical formulas). 6.56.

Ajaat Hari|| Apaat Hari|| Amitra Hari|| Amaat Hari||7||57||

The Lord does not take birth. The Lord does not experience death. The Lord is without any friend. The Lord is without mother. 7.57.

Arog Hari|| Asok Hari|| Abharam Hari|| Akaram Hari||||8||58||

The Lord is without any ailment. The Lord is without grief, The Lord is Illusionless. The Lord is Actionless. 8.58.

7 minutes ago, luckysingh99 said:

Gurus are avtaars of God.   God has taken many avtaars throughout the ages, but lets just focus on sikh gurus, as that's why we're here on the forum.

You have to understand that God is NOT the physical body/kapra/shell of the Guru avtaar, he is quite simply the Avtaar himself, and will continue to come and go as one, as he wishes.

I've seen these debates and confusions before and then sikhs start coming out with contradictions: such as how does mool mantar say he is ajooni?  but at the same time God is everywhere and in everything, meaning that we are just as much God as the person next door!....  it goes on and on...

Keeping it brief, I'm gonna suggest that we all keep a few rules in mind prior to raising questions.

1) Bani does NOT contradict. Never has and never will.   It is the truth, and the Truth can never contradict itself. Even in a court of law, if the accused or a witness contradicts themselves, then the Judge sees the truth, if any, as being distorted. So, if you find yourself seeing some contradiction in gurbani, then it's your understanding that is at fault and not the truth. You need to work on yourself to gain more gyaan.

2) Remember that we are born manukhs. Goal is to get to Gobind by becoming gurmukhs. ..

ਭਈ ਪਰਾਪਤਿ ਮਾਨੁਖ ਦੇਹੁਰੀਆ ॥
Bẖa▫ī parāpaṯ mānukẖ ḏehurī▫ā.
This human body has been given to you.

ਗੋਬਿੰਦ ਮਿਲਣ ਕੀ ਇਹ ਤੇਰੀ ਬਰੀਆ ॥
Gobinḏ milaṇ kī ih ṯerī barī▫ā.
This is your chance to meet the Lord of the Universe

What makes us Man-ukhs?   ...simple set of equations given by an old member many years ago....

MAN= GOD + EGO(haumai)

Man -(minus) EGO = GOD

shed the 'I'(ego) and you are left with GOD.

Gurus had No EGO, no 'I', Their physical shells is what we related to with our physical eyes, but their inner selves and messages were pure God, nirankaar himself.

Dhan Guru Nanak tu heen Nirankaar.   Don't let anybody tell you otherwise. 

and never accept the titles pegambir prophet, teacher, spiritual guide etc  as they indicate human frailities as being present i.e. 5 chor, 

Guru Nanak dev ji will always be  

3 hours ago, BhForce said:

Quite astounding that you've nev nr heard anyone say that Guru is God. S dnkhs have always believed that until the new crop of 20th century "professors" came along to deny that fact in order to please their foreign masters.

I didn't watch the whole video, but props to Bhai Jugraj Singh for stating basic Sikh theology, which is that Guru is God.

If the Gurus were human beings (don't say "are"), then they are dead. Why follow what they say? They have no more authority than the average Joe.

It certainly seems a Christian belief as they believe only In God. They believe Jesus to be his son, not his spirit or jot. However we believe all the Gurus had his jot. Not only that, but also Ram, Krishna etc were a roop of God, however In different yugs.

The whites have generally been more of a pagan worshipping people whereas India has generally had a long history of rishis and munis performing bhagti from quite a long while back. 

Guest Ultimate

The Ultimate Teacher (Guru) = God

Guru Nanak prays to the primal Ultimate Guru = God

God is not born = ajooni (as per Mool Mantar)

... but is nevertheless present in all and throughout the Universe + beyond

• The topic was locked