Few questions I have on Sikhi

Guest JSingh

Waheguru Ji Ka Khalsa, Waheguru Ji Ki Fateh! 

I am young Sikh Male in his early 20's and still trying to learn about our religion. I work in a place with people from different backgrounds who enjoy learning about each others faith. This is a good thing as it means that I want to learn more about Sikhi and why we believe in the things we do. I have gathered a few questions that I can't seem to find a clear cut answer for and I am wondering if anyone can help. 

1. How many wives did Guru Gobind Singh Ji have? 

2. When Guru Hargobind Ji was jailed by Jahangir, why did not of the Gursikhs fight for his freedom? Why didn't Guru Ji simply leave the prison? 

3. Why did Waheguru Ji wait so long before sending Guru Nanak Dev Ji to start sending the message of Sikhi? This is a point I can't seem to get my head around, where does this leave other religions which exist. 

4. What is our view point on contraception (in marriage of course) 

Could anyone who answers my questions please give their answers in layman's terms for an ease of understanding! Hope any other young Sikhs can benefit from having these questions answered, thanks! 

Please forgive me if I had said anything wrong! 

I will try to answer as per my knowledge.. from what I’ve heard and read.. 

1- There are some people who claim that Guru Ji had two wives. And some even say they had 3 but what I’ve found was  Guru Gobind Sahib ji had only one wife who’s name was mata jeeto/Ajeet kaur but because of her beauty she was given this name mata sundar kaur/Sundari by Mata Gujar Kaur.. due to this some people think Guru Ji was married twice. And thn guru gave the khitaab of Jagat mata to Mata Sahib Kaur (mother of Khalsa) so due to this some says she was his third wife. Guru Ji refused to marry mata Sahib kaur when the proposal was given to him as he was already married but thn parents of mata Sahib kaur got worried they thought after this rejection who will marry their daughter so Guru Ji discussed it with mata sundar kaur ji and gave mata Sahib kaur ji mother of Khalsa and clearfied that their relationship is going to be only spiritual and not physical (this is what I’ve learned so I don’t know how much true is this) but I’ve also heard that all our gurus never had any physical relationships with their wives. 

2- when Guru Hargobind Sahib ji was jailed by Jahangir they didn’t fight with Jahangir because he wanted all other 52 kings who were in his imprisonment they all were innocent to be freed. So Guru ji’s gursikhs that u mentioned didn’t fought for his freedom.. all of Guru ji’s Gursikh thru dhyaan use to come in front of Jahangir in shape of devil or dangerous creatures or something like this (not in normal human form) everywhere Jahangir only saw those dangerous forms and he got scared, frightened and he called his some religious person like pandit or someone who could help him with that and that person told him if he will free Guru Ji all this would stop thn. But Guruji said he will not leave until all other 52 innocent kings also get released so Jahangir agreed and that’s why we celebrate Bandi shod Diwas and not Diwali.. 

3- Guru Nanak Dev ji came to help the whole universe thru his teaching in kalyug. Before that in stayug Vishnu ji.. in treta yug  ram chandar and in dwapar yug Krishan ji were sent by god.. 

4- and I’ve no idea about 4 question. Someone else might help u with that. 

Guest GuestSingh
2 hours ago, S4NGH said:

1. As few/many as He wanted.

2. That is what He wanted.

3. That is what He wanted.

4. It is a method or device to prevent pregnancy.

Hope that answers your questions in layman's terms.

The OP asked for the view of contraception in Gurbani, not a definition of it.

You are both unfunny and daft.

Guest London jwaan
On 11/9/2017 at 5:29 AM, S4NGH said:

that could well be the *editedc* response to any question asked in the history of this forum.

Wjkk wjkf

3 hours ago, Kaur72 said:

I will try to answer as per my knowledge.. from what I’ve heard and read.. 

1- There are some people who claim that Guru Ji had two wives. And some even say they had 3 but what I’ve found was  Guru Gobind Sahib ji had only one wife who’s name was mata jeeto/Ajeet kaur but because of her beauty she was given this name mata sundar kaur/Sundari by Mata Gujar Kaur.. due to this some people think Guru Ji was married twice. And thn guru gave the khitaab of Jagat mata to Mata Sahib Kaur (mother of Khalsa) so due to this some says she was his third wife. Guru Ji refused to marry mata Sahib kaur when the proposal was given to him as he was already married but thn parents of mata Sahib kaur got worried they thought after this rejection who will marry their daughter so Guru Ji discussed it with mata sundar kaur ji and gave mata Sahib kaur ji mother of Khalsa and clearfied that their relationship is going to be only spiritual and not physical (this is what I’ve learned so I don’t know how much true is this) but I’ve also heard that all our gurus never had any physical relationships with their wives. 

2- when Guru Hargobind Sahib ji was jailed by Jahangir they didn’t fight with Jahangir because he wanted all other 52 kings who were in his imprisonment they all were innocent to be freed. So Guru ji’s gursikhs that u mentioned didn’t fought for his freedom.. all of Guru ji’s Gursikh thru dhyaan use to come in front of Jahangir in shape of devil or dangerous creatures or something like this (not in normal human form) everywhere Jahangir only saw those dangerous forms and he got scared, frightened and he called his some religious person like pandit or someone who could help him with that and that person told him if he will free Guru Ji all this would stop thn. But Guruji said he will not leave until all other 52 innocent kings also get released so Jahangir agreed and that’s why we celebrate Bandi shod Diwas and not Diwali.. 

3- Guru Nanak Dev ji came to help the whole universe thru his teaching in kalyug. Before that in stayug Vishnu ji.. in treta yug  ram chandar and in dwapar yug Krishan ji were sent by god.. 

4- and I’ve no idea about 4 question. Someone else might help u with that. 

Thank you for clearing that up for me! 

In regards to question 3 - As Sikhs we acknowledge the fact that Vishnu and Krishna were sent by Waheguru Ji? What exactly is Kalyug. 

5 hours ago, S4NGH said:

Lol no need for the sarcasm veer ji, I am trying to learn more about our faith apologies if my questions caused any offence. 

Questions 1 and 4 have been answered numerous times already on this forum. Please use the search function. You can even use google just type in sikhsangat contraceptives view in sikhi or something.

As for the 6th guru, he willingly went to Jahangirs castle at jahangirs invitation. But then the king betrayed his word and would not let guruji out. So guruji taught him a lesson and he changed his mind about tricking holy ppl. And he wanted guruji to leave the prison. But now guruji put a condition, i will only leave if u feee 52 rajas. Basically all of this was gurujis way of releasing the 52 rajas as the 52kings got a sikhs sangat and were advised if they wanted to be free they should pray to the guru. So they did and guruji fullfilled their prayers.

As for Guru Nanak Dev jis avtaar. Thats easy. God sent many prophets but they all failed to teach their ppl about naam, about how to get mukti, about how we are the soul and must merge with the primal soul. Some prophets had ppl worship them instead of God ie Hinduism. Some prophets got stuck at trying to teach their ppl their is 1 God ie Judaism and Islam. They think thats the highest most important thing. Others like Christians got beyond that but they seem to stop at Jesus. They thinking believing in him is enough. So God had to come himself to teach what he really wanted and to help the poor people of kalyug. Kalyug is a period of time like an era or century. But its much longer. It started i think 1000s of years ago. It is also called the dark age because people are supposed to sin more. In satyug, long ago, before Raam or krishan, ppl were good, there was no paap. In treta i think Raam was born, in duaper krishan was born.