Sign in to follow this  
singhbj singh

Gurpurab Celebrations at the Houses of Parliament

DESCRIPTION

The Sikh Network, in conjunction with the Sikh Federation and the APPG for British Sikhs, are delighted to be hosting Guru Nanak Dev Ji Gurpurab (Birthday) Celebrations at the Houses of Parliament on 22 November 2017 from 6pm until 9pm.

The celebrations are a unique opportunity to share the message of Guru Nanak Dev Ji, of One God, Truth and Equality. Guru Nanak Dev Ji is the founder of Sikh faith and the first of the 11 Sikh Gurus.

The event will provide an opportunity to share inspirational aspects of Guru Nanak Dev Ji's life and recognise British Sikhs who have contributed to the community and society at large over the last year.

Programme:

6:30pm: Registration & Networking (please allow time for security)

6:45pm: Welcome

6:35pm: Keynote speaker to share the journey of Guru Nanak Dev Ji's life

7.00pm: Kirtan and Speeches by leading politicians on contribution of Sikhs to British life

8:00pm: Recognition and celebration of British Sikhs in UK

8:45pm: Vote of Thanks & Close

https://www.eventbrite.co.uk/e/guru-nanak-dev-ji-gurpurab-birthday-celebrations-tickets-39287494955?aff=es2

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

Sign in to follow this  

• Topics

•  I used to believe this until I started managing my brother's matrimony profile  a year ago who received lots of interest from girls  who are looking for non trimmer , vegetarian and religious. My brother being less religious created more problem for him in finding life partner. The main factors that people see in India for marriage is how much a guy earn , how much property his family own and what the status of his family.If by any chance .If by any chance your these factors are on weak side then even super gursikh families won't consider you as rishta
    • I'm aware of this bro. The majority of Muslims I have spoken to still use the Persian derivative - one could still easily say Wudhukhanna as the two words do not differ much. My overall point was the one referring to the difference between Wudhu/Wuzu and Gusul. Not just Pakistani Muslims, Indian Muslims have also started this trend of saying Allah Hafiz which is funny because everytime I've said 'Ramadhan', I've been corrected by the same people to say 'Ramzaan'. It's all due to the popularity of the Deobandi sect. I do actually agree there should be some purging of Persian/Arabic words from Punjabi. Despite my views on Farsi, I actually prefer Sanskritized (or original) Punjabi, and regularly receive looks of suspicion when I replace a common word with the original. Today there is definite overuse of Arabic/Farsi where it is absolutely not necessary. The rise of Sufi singers like Satinder Sartaaj and Kanwar Grewal, and even the 'great' Gurdas Maan hasn't helped. Deras like Laddi Shah etc has had a detrimental effect on the youth. To what extent would this purging occur though? There's a thin line between colloquial and religious language.
    • And what exactly is your point? Yes the word 'martyr' in current usage meaning sacrifice has an Indic root word. That doesn't mean the root word has the same connotations. 'mrit' doesn't necessarily mean sacrifice or martyrdom in the traditional sense.
    • The word Wuzu is Persian derative of Wudhu and Namaz is the Persian for Salah. The Persians had to find a way to purge the Arab words and find their own words. In Pakistan, Muslims are being encouraged to say Allah Hafiz instead of Khuda Hafiz because Khuda is Persian and not Arab.
    • Gusul is a far deeper ritual than the one performed before simply reading Namaz. Wuzu is in fact the purification used, and is done is a Wuzukhanna. As for Gusulkhanna being used for bathroom, well most of rural Punjab didn't have bathrooms as we know them now. People would either bathe outdoors, in an open space i.e. behind a wall, or they would use a makeshift screen consisting of a manjha and chadar. Defecation was done out in the fields as we know. The was no single word used. At religious sites, it is often referred to as Ishnaanghar.